Mouse Surplus

disneyfan28

Original Poster
I was reading on another board that this is the name of a store about 15 miles from disney where they sell various surplus of things from disney parks & hotels such as comforters, room number plates, room decor, decorations no longer used in parks & even have a door from the tram....has anyone ever been there?

rangerbob

I've been over there many times. They are down 27 in Winter Haven about 30-45 minutes from WDW. I'll be going over there tomorrow and can give you a small update as to what they have if I can find this thread again. I don't frequent the message boards but do look at the different news feeds from here.

Space Mountain

Yeah its a little bit scary when you first see this what looks to be abandoned, run down warehouse. You enter from the loading dock and pretty much park on gravel wherever you want. Inside is set up nicely but mostly everything is overpriced and honestly, junked items like you see on their eBay page. It is nice to go see once, but your better off not wasting your money

disneyfan28

Original Poster
I've been over there many times. They are down 27 in Winter Haven about 30-45 minutes from WDW. I'll be going over there tomorrow and can give you a small update as to what they have if I can find this thread again. I don't frequent the message boards but do look at the different news feeds from here.
That would be cool....thanks!:wave:

disneyfan28

Original Poster
Yeah its a little bit scary when you first see this what looks to be abandoned, run down warehouse. You enter from the loading dock and pretty much park on gravel wherever you want. Inside is set up nicely but mostly everything is overpriced and honestly, junked items like you see on their eBay page. It is nice to go see once, but your better off not wasting your money

Kinda figured it would be something different to do one day...didnt know what to expect but figured it would be interesting.

WelshBatman

... to clarify a few things... it's more than 15 miles away from Disney, maybe in the 20-25 mile range and it's not in Winter Haven, it's on the outskirts of Haines City.

It's true though that it can be reached via US-27, but you have to take 2 other roads to get to the actual warehouse.

They have cool stuff though, however they've been getting less and less since Disney has really been using property control and the outlets to move more merchandise and other stuff.

Here is another. Sorry I thought you would be able to click through. You will have to cut and paste to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJCVKNpmLls

Do yourselves a favor and just go to property control. He has the same thing that they due at a fraction of the price. MS only gets what comes from there. WAY overpriced JUNK!!! Look at Ebay under seller SELLANDSHIP. Much nicer to deal with. MS claims items are from disney but they aren't. He also is selling photocopies of Disney letters on Ebay. No ethics.

scottnj1966

I have been to mouse surplus twice.
They were near the airport in Orlando, but I guess they moved now.
Which would make it many miles away from Disney.

I have many pictures I took while I visited. the first time I went it had he old monorail red. That was cool to see.
They also had tons of the old wilderness lodge furniture.

They second time I went the monorail was back with its owner in georgia.
I did get to buy one of the abcd control pads from who wants to be a millionaire.

They had some ride cars, like snow white and space mountain. Lots of furnishings. Clocks from the cruise line, just lots of things.

wilderness%20trip%209-2006%20065%20(Small).jpg

TheBeatles

i went a few months back. the area it's located in is shady.

the items that stood out in my mind were...

1. the plane from the original ending of kilimanjaro safaris
2. original universe of energy sign
3. disney village (or LBV village, can't remember) bus stop sign
4. living seas sea cab
5. horizons ride vehicle

KingdomHeart

Can you enlighten me on what property control is ?
It's a Cast Member exclusive area in the MK cast parking lot, connected to Cast Connection, where you can buy items that used to be in use in the park. A lot of lawn chairs, glasses from restaurants, etc. Cast Connection is where you can buy overstock, items from other Disney parks, older items (when I worked in MK in 2008, they sold a lot of items that said 2007 still). Decent prices for some of the stuff, but some of the stuff at Prop. Control is just junk.
-Nicholas

It's a Cast Member exclusive area in the MK cast parking lot, connected to Cast Connection, where you can buy items that used to be in use in the park. A lot of lawn chairs, glasses from restaurants, etc. Cast Connection is where you can buy overstock, items from other Disney parks, older items (when I worked in MK in 2008, they sold a lot of items that said 2007 still). Decent prices for some of the stuff, but some of the stuff at Prop. Control is just junk.
-Nicholas

Control is junk yes and most of it is broken pieces but if you have some time to kill and look around, sometimes you'll be lucky and find stuff that's just fine.

As for surplus, as a cast member, I love it. Over priced yes but what do you expect for disney memorabilia? If I owned a horizon vehicle, I wouldn't sell it for 500 bucks, I'd sell it for the price they're selling it for. They're down to earth owners and they have a fat grey cat that's to die for and friendly. If you have a chance, do go by to visit. Favorite part is the male restroom, fully restored within the cabin of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The whole audio loop was playing and it's for a good time and laugh while sitting. Don't believe me? Go check it out for yourself haha! They have a good selection of curtains, pillows and comforters that aren't used anymore from the resorts. I got my Beach Club Villas comforter from 2003 time for 50 bucks! That's not so bad, it's little mermaid themed and I also have one of mickey and the gang at the beach from the Beach Club. On wed, cast members get 20 percent off. And Florida residents as well.

Jimini

Love it!

I live in Tampa and have business in Orlando so it has been really easy to go to Mouse Surplus over the years. It is awesome IMO to be able to see what they have. Yes its in an old warehouse in the middle of an orange grove and the folks that run it sometimes do try to get you to spend more on items they deem collectors items but so what. i have bought sooo much stuff from them and others on Ebay but MS is the only one with a open location you can walk around in. A trip to MS is worth it just too see the bathroom, it is like being in a submarine from 20,000 Leagues with portholes and artifacts from the ride as well as the sound track playing its too cool. Just go there expecting to bargain and haggle with them. Or you may get lucky and be there when the owner is off and has left the warehouse with a couple helpers there that don't know what to charge for stuff and get a three hundred dollar framed artwork from the Polynesian for $10 bucks. Not that I got that or anything for that matter without Mike there. :animwink:

markc

I'll concur with most everybody else here. Some of the stuff they have is interesting, but it is overpriced. It's also extremely out of the way from Disney (about a 45 minute drive). Unless you have a LOT of extra time, I'd say its not worth going out there (especially at the expense of time you could be spending at WDW). They used to be a lot better (in terms of merchandise available, location, etc) when they were over by the airport...but at this point, its hard to justify a trip out there.

The plane from KJS was sold at property Control for 500 bucks. Horizons was 1000. The same blankets online only sell for 20 on ebay. When it was by the airport it had a different owner. If you go there and talk to Jeff he will slide you some big fig on the side for cash. 20k bathroom is cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom