Most Controversial ride change poll

What is the most controversial ride change at Disney World?

• Mr Toad - Winnie the Pooh

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Maelstrom - Frozen

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • Tower of Terror - Guardians of the Galaxy

Votes: 23 14.2%
  • Splash Mountain - Princess and the Frog

Votes: 91 56.2%
  • Other/listed below

Votes: 15 9.3%

• Total voters

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I think you have to consider Maelstrom/Frozen. While not controversial in the same vain as Splash (Political/PC) it was first IP infused attraction in a purposefully non-IP World Showcase at Epcot. Yes the lion king did have a film at the Land Pavilion and Nemo took over the Living Seas but otherwise Epcot was free of IP. With that decision alone, Epcot will essentially become MK Part 2 with Ratatouille, Guardians of the Galaxy, Play Pavilion, potential of Mary Poppins , Moeana and Coco.

mavlax20

Frozen in Norway does make sense to me, because the movie takes place in Norway. And as was previously stated, Maelstrom had little to no lines, and Frozen always has a line, so Disney will see that as a good change. I do enjoy the Frozen ride also.

Disneyland's Tower or Terror to Guardians of the Galaxy: When my wife and I first rode ToT at DL, we were not fans at all. WDW's was so much better. We went back, we rode the GotG version, and we love it! It was a smart move in our opinion, and makes the ride much more enjoyable.

Splash to PatF: Splash to myself and others is a ride that is pure Disney magic. I am not a fan of the change ,but I'll ride the PatF version and give it a shot.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Ok Sarah, why do you disagree.

Disagree all you want, opinions are for everyone.. leave your attempts at humor out of it. If you want to give an opinion, such as "in every guide book it said great place to take a nap in AC" thats fine and factual. Otherwise.. just put me on your cannot see list. The original architecture is what made epcot what it was, and the edutainment. For people that were awed when it opened, it hurt especially for what it was. Now is old epcot dead... yes absolutely.. am i excited to see what comes next (yes, but scared.. and even more after the covid budget cuts) but a roller coaster based on marvel (i love marvel, just wish it had went somewhere else), just didnt feel right to epcot fans. Epcot could have continued to awe... SpaceX just proved that people are awed by science, im sure elon musk could have come up with a really cool attraction.

Because Teach-cot or Edutainment wasn't successful no matter how fond its your memories were of it. Three iterations of show didn't improve its popularity, no matter how much its objectives were dumbed down and its vernacular was aligned to ever-evolving pop pop culture.

Surferboy567

I’m not sure if it’s controversial but Snow White to Princess Fairytale Hall doesn’t make much sense.

I have nothing against the Hall have taken great pictures there, but losing an attraction? That doesn’t make sense at all. I also have no connection to the Snow White attraction as I was scared of it as a kid.

Runners Up:

Imagination

Toad to Pooh (I actually vastly prefer Pooh) not sure why I’ve always had a connection to Pooh as a kid.

EDIT: Totally forgot about Alien to Stitch that is a big one. As others have pointed out.

Minthorne

People had already landed on the moon, so Mars was the next logical step for might happen "Tomorrow".

I'll say it- most controversial? Alien Encounter to Stitch. With just the change in story, it probably wouldn't have been as reviled, but that STENCH.

People have landed on the moon?? Lies!! ;)

ExtraTerrorestrial Encounter was my favorite attraction ever. I still miss it.

1593526215178.png

Jon81uk

Splash doesn't have a thing on the drama that came with Mr. Toad. So biggest one is that by far from my memory.

Maelstrom really bugged people too. Seriously what does Frozen really have to do with Norway history and such?

Splash is a big deal for some but not for all. I'm seeing far more mixed results elsewhere. Some places nothing but love for it.

GotG from ToT I heard was well liked, but yeah caused a stink.

How about Universe of Energy to GotG? Snow White to meet & greet? Redo of Journey the 1st time? Removing of 20,000 leagues for some meet and greet with no warning? I can think of lots of things that really made people mad.
I was one that thought ripping ToT out for GoTG was a boneheaded move but honestly, now that we've ridden it, it's actually quite fun. HATE the outside of the ride--although really do appreciate the unique flora/fauna they have in the outside in the queue area--but the building itself just doesn't make sense to me. I'm glad that at least there still is a ToT at WDW but it's by no means my most hated ride!

I agree with these, Frozen doesn't really fit in Norway. To lose a ride that went some way of explaining the culture of Norway and replace it with that wasn't great. Ratatouille going into France is at least an expansion.

Also GotG Mission Breakout at Cali Adventure is great fun, but the exterior is ugly and we got to keep the original ToT at WDW making both coasts parks unique.

The other big change people mentioned was adding Stitch to Alien Encounter. I don't think AE really suited MK (it should have gone into the studios park) but adding Stitch just made it too kiddy for adults while it was still too scary for most kids.

correcaminos

I agree with these, Frozen doesn't really fit in Norway. To lose a ride that went some way of explaining the culture of Norway and replace it with that wasn't great. Ratatouille going into France is at least an expansion.

Also GotG Mission Breakout at Cali Adventure is great fun, but the exterior is ugly and we got to keep the original ToT at WDW making both coasts parks unique.

The other big change people mentioned was adding Stitch to Alien Encounter. I don't think AE really suited MK (it should have gone into the studios park) but adding Stitch just made it too kiddy for adults while it was still too scary for most kids.
Yes, AE to Stitch was horrible and I enjoy Stitch. I loved AE and actually think the future in X-S tech kinda fit tomrorowland.

JIMINYCR

I'm saying Splash because although I hated to see the others go I can understand somewhat Disneys positions on ending them. The circumstances surrounding Splash's removal was not because it needed to go, it was political and was made because Iger and others were tired of having to defend and explain the ever present non-racial connection to SotS. It was convenient at this time to fold and use BLM and the protesters actions as an excuse for the easy way out. No more SM, no more having to deal with it.

BubbaisSleep

Splash. Not only culturally, but as a theme-park fan this is probably the biggest, most-popular ride to ever close that is Disney.

TOT at least was only closed in CA & was a lesser version of the two so it didn’t as hard as Splash for me.

Pirates has been making small changes my whole life so I’ve been numbed to it sadly.

Kate F

At least with Guardians Tower, there was still the original, superior version left standing. Do I even need to say what I voted for?

Walt Disney1955

I didn't like any of those changes to be honest. Toad is better than Pooh. I'll admit Frozen is pretty good, but find a way to keep Maelstrom too. Tower of Terror is pretty iconic.

However, these were all business decisions. Disney didn't get bullied into the changes from a fringe group like they did with Splash. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth. So this one is by FAR the worst change they have ever done and people will hate this for decades to come.

FettFan

With the recent news of Splash Mountain being replaced by Princess and the Frog what do you guys consider to be the most controversial ride change at the Disney parks. Lets keep this NICE AND PEACEFUL PLEASE! If this thread gets too carried away I will have the admin shut it down. I just wanted to get some people's opinions and perspectives on these ride changes. Feel; free to discuss whether the ride changes were good or bad. But keep it civil!

Massive problem with your poll. Tower of Terror is still going strong at Walt Disney World.

They changed the California Adventure one to Guardians. It's not a major loss because the DCA version was inferior in almost every way.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Not a ride. So it can't really be categorized as a "ride change".

But I vote for Adventurers Club. Because I will never miss an opportunity to mention Adventurers Club in a Disney fan forum, when I think Adventurers Club is in someway relevant to the conversation. And in this case, I think I can make a case that Adventurers Club is in someway relevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom