Morocco Pavilion facing financial troubles

UNCgolf

Didn't edit my post fast enough!

As I said above, most of those things are pretty widely available in stores around the US. The Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Manchester United (and other EPL teams), Downton Abbey, Guinness mugs -- none of those things are unique to the UK. Although they all originated there (obviously) they've become part of American culture as well.

There are a few non-generic things specifically from UK companies/manufacturers, though, like the teapots and the Scottish tartan clothing. My problem is that the whole pavilion should be full of items like that, and instead they're mostly tucked away in corners while the main merchandise push is for generic items that are either Disney branded or available at any number of large chain stores in the US.

I've also always found the family crest section neat (although likely not accurate), but my understanding is that's all run by an outside company rather than Disney.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With globalization of trade and merchandise, it's going to be harder and harder to find anything that is unique and can only be found by visiting a specific country in person.

Especially when dealing with mementos. The kind of uniquely U.S. mementos you find in Times Square are plastic Statues of Liberty made in China.

Though, I will say that the Germany pavilion has the nicest looking team shirts and Christmas ornaments.

UNCgolf

With globalization of trade and merchandise, it's going to be harder and harder to find anything that is unique and can only be found by visiting a specific country in person.

Especially when dealing with mementos. The kind of uniquely U.S. mementos you find in Times Square are plastic Statues of Liberty made in China.

Though, I will say that the Germany pavilion has the nicest looking team shirts and Christmas ornaments.

Right, which is what I said in one of my earlier posts -- some of the stuff in the UK pavilion like soccer/football shirts and jerseys would have been a different story 25 years ago than they are now.

But it doesn't need to be items that are only available in that specific country. It should be items that are more strongly connected to it; not just culturally but physically too. The teapots and Scottish tartan clothing are items that are both culturally connected to the UK and actually manufactured there. There's a huge difference between items like those and a Manchester United shirt. I'm sure you can get them in the US, but you're not going to find them at, say, Target.

Of course, from Disney's perspective, there's far more money to be made in selling something like a Manchester United shirt (or a UK Mickey shirt) than an English manufactured specialty teapot. They're easier to procure and more likely to sell, so it's hard to blame them from a business perspective. It's just not how they did things 30 years ago.

The Times Square comparison is actually apt, because that's exactly what I don't want the World Showcase to be (even though it already is, at least to an extent). A tourist trap full of junk that's not really connected to the country in any way.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I would say this goes for Morocco too.

Eh, yes and no. It's not that you can't find most or all of those items if you really wanted them. It's that you're not going to find them at random massive chain stores like Target and Wal-Mart. That's really the point I've been trying to make.

That and I don't want the stores to be a mishmash of more authentic items and t-shirts. It's fine to have one shop pushing the t-shirts etc. but I'd prefer to leave some with a more authentic feel (while acknowledging that none of them are really authentic -- I've been to half the countries on the World Showcase and the pavilions are more simulacra than anything). I'm just not sure Disney is going to be willing to pay for staff to do that. But we'll see; I will happily be wrong.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

How does this compare with the old menu?

I think the hummus fries are the only returning menu item, but that's not really surprising since it's now a lounge with appetizers instead of a full service restaurant with entrees.

It's certainly still Mediterranean in character.

EDIT: Actually I believe spicy shrimp and fried calamari were on the old menu as well.

LittleBuford

I think the hummus fries are the only returning menu item, but that's not really surprising since it's now a lounge with appetizers instead of a full service restaurant with entrees.

It's certainly still Mediterranean in character.

EDIT: Actually I believe spicy shrimp and fried calamari were on the old menu as well.
Thank you!

nickys

Premium Member
As a Brit, I found most of the merchandise in the UK pavilion to be suitably reminiscent of home,
if a little stereotypical. Mexico too was full of Mexican merchandise.

I don’t think it’s insignificant that the three pavilions you list are the ones that are most “exotic” from a Western perspective. Perhaps their merchandise stands out more to you for this reason.

Isn’t China run by Disney?
I would agree about the U.K. shops. The clothing store (it’s too early, need more coffee) has fairly typical stuff that sells well in any tourist hot spot around the U.K. - the kind of stereotypical Oxford university-style outfitters. The tea shop again has recognisable brands and could easily be in Stratford or Windsor.

I haven’t really explored the shops in China, but I like Japan, Mexico and Morocco for browsing.

zengoth

It's a bit difficult to remember as of now with Canada, Germany and UK pavilions half-shuttered, but the Disney-run pavilions do manage to balance their merch - see Italy: one shop has Disney theme on top of Italian theme (Disney characters doing espresso and dessert these days), while across the plaza is a Venetian mask place. If Morocco can maintain the same balance, it will wind up ok.

Lilofan

I would agree about the U.K. shops. The clothing store (it’s too early, need more coffee) has fairly typical stuff that sells well in any tourist hot spot around the U.K. - the kind of stereotypical Oxford university-style outfitters. The tea shop again has recognisable brands and could easily be in Stratford or Windsor.

I haven’t really explored the shops in China, but I like Japan, Mexico and Morocco for browsing.
Helly Hansen clothing in Norway is unique. I've never seen that clothing and jacket merchandise anywhere in the USA except in Epcot

techgeek

Eh, yes and no. It's not that you can't find most or all of those items if you really wanted them. It's that you're not going to find them at random massive chain stores like Target and Wal-Mart. That's really the point I've been trying to make.

That and I don't want the stores to be a mishmash of more authentic items and t-shirts. It's fine to have one shop pushing the t-shirts etc. but I'd prefer to leave some with a more authentic feel (while acknowledging that none of them are really authentic -- I've been to half the countries on the World Showcase and the pavilions are more simulacra than anything). I'm just not sure Disney is going to be willing to pay for staff to do that. But we'll see; I will happily be wrong.

A question to get to the root of the problem here: Is a World Showcase shop a 'shop', or is it actually part of the 'show'?

... which is a question Disney has been grappling with since Walt's days with the very much 'part of the show' Antique shops in DL and MK.

Historically, World Showcase has done a pretty good job of balancing the product mix between the necessary 'mickey on a ____' touristy things and authentic pieces that might not sell very well but add to the show and make for an interesting shopping experience. It's a lazy thing and counter to show to fill Norway with the same plush you can buy at Mouse Gear, even if it boosts the revenue per square foot for that location.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A question to get to the root of the problem here: Is a World Showcase shop a 'shop', or is it actually part of the 'show'?

... which is a question Disney has been grappling with since Walt's days with the very much 'part of the show' Antique shops in DL and MK.

Historically, World Showcase has done a pretty good job of balancing the product mix between the necessary 'mickey on a ____' touristy things and authentic pieces that might not sell very well but add to the show and make for an interesting shopping experience. It's a lazy thing and counter to show to fill Norway with the same plush you can buy at Mouse Gear, even if it boosts the revenue per square foot for that location.
Well, the shops are more of a show than most anything else you find in the other parks. On Main Street, you find very little early 20th Century merchandise. And in Liberty Square, you have a shop with a colonial facade that sells modern Christmas ornaments.

Tho... in SWGE, they do make an attempt to make the shops more 'in show' with 'handmade toys' and thematic clothing. However, they do slip up with fourth-wall breaking merch sometimes. But they generally put the meta-merch in Tatooine Traders outside the land.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster

I remember someone talking about am how the model used to be split in three, something like some shops were for high revenue per sq/ft, some were meant to break even, and some were a loss but made up in show. I forget the actual terms the person used.

UNCgolf

Tho... in SWGE, they do make an attempt to make the shops more 'in show' with 'handmade toys' and thematic clothing. However, they do slip up with fourth-wall breaking merch sometimes. But they generally put the meta-merch in Tatooine Traders outside the land.

I've wondered how long this will last -- that used to be relatively standard throughout the parks and is now rare. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Galaxy's Edge shops start to fill up with meta-merch (as you put it) eventually.

Amused to Death

Wow. Spice Road is now a walk-up snack bar? Disney doesn’t realize that people will now buy an $8 snack and camp out for three hours to see the Monster Taco Show?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom