Morocco Pavilion facing financial troubles

UNCgolf

The other site has pictures from today showing all the shops inside the main pavilion closed up with themed rugs/blankets covering all the windows. I’m afraid these shops are all about to suffer the fate of upstairs Canada

Exactly what I'm expecting. Probably not for all of them, but I don't think Disney will see any reason to pay staff to run all of those separate shops -- especially if Restaurant Marrakesh is closed for a while. They can just shut down that entire back area.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Japan I agree with. I found the merchandise in Morocco pretty generic “bazaar” fare that you can easily find in any number of “ethnic” stores or online. I don’t think most people are able to distinguish those pavilions that are run by Disney from those that aren’t, which leads me to think that people are getting themselves into a tizzy prematurely.
Im trying not to get worked up, I just saw what happened in Canada as we lost sponsors and I don’t want Morocco to go down the same road. I also hate when things get taken from inside pavilions and placed at carts/kiosks along the promenade. It’s almost like the promenade is turning into the interstate that bypasses the Main Street of a town and leaves it to die as it attracts businesses away.

LittleBuford

Im trying not to get worked up, I just saw what happened in Canada as we lost sponsors and I don’t want Morocco to go down the same road. I also hate when things get taken from inside pavilions and placed at carts/kiosks along the promenade. It’s almost like the promenade is turning into the interstate that bypasses the Main Street of a town and leaves it to die as it attracts businesses away.
The stuff they sell in Morocco really isn’t that special or difficult to procure. I see no reason why Disney would stop offering it, particularly given the insane markup. I could be wrong, of course, in which case I’ll be the first to eat my words.

UNCgolf

Aren’t most of the other pavilions already run by Disney? Do you or others think they are generally worse than Morocco in terms of their food and merchandise?

It's less about the World Showcase and more about Disney as a whole.

The resorts, parks, and World of Disney all sell basically the same merchandise everywhere now. There are a few shops scattered here and there with separate merchandise, but generally speaking you could make one visit to World of Disney and then skip 95% of the other shops throughout the property because they're all selling the same items. It wasn't always like that; you used to find wildly different things from park to park, and even from one area of a single park to another. They've homogenized their merchandise offerings.

The World Showcase pavilions have a few specialty shops, but they sell a lot of generic merchandise that's just slapped with the name of the country.

TrainsOfDisney

The stuff they sell in Morocco really isn’t that special or difficult to procure. I see no reason why Disney would stop offering it, particularly given the insane markup. I could be wrong, of course, in which case I’ll be the first to eat my words.
Is it special or difficult to procure Canadian merchandise?

UNCgolf

I would have just double quoted if I'd seen before finishing my other post, but Disney has been eliminating those kinds of unique options for years now -- even when they were items that weren't overly special or difficult to procure.

Although I'm just guessing, I think it's a matter of simplicity and efficiency. Having to obtain extra items that aren't mass produced by Disney themselves is an extra step on the supply chain.

LittleBuford

I would have just double quoted if I'd seen before finishing my other post, but Disney has been eliminating those kinds of unique options for years now -- even when they were items that weren't overly special or difficult to procure.

Although I'm just guessing, I think it's a matter of simplicity and efficiency. Having to obtain extra items that aren't mass produced by Disney themselves is an extra step on the supply chain.
But what about all the other Disney-run pavilions that continue to offer merchandise from the countries they represent?

LittleBuford

It's less about the World Showcase and more about Disney as a whole.

The resorts, parks, and World of Disney all sell basically the same merchandise everywhere now. There are a few shops scattered here and there with separate merchandise, but generally speaking you could make one visit to World of Disney and then skip 95% of the other shops throughout the property because they're all selling the same items. It wasn't always like that; you used to find wildly different things from park to park, and even from one area of a single park to another. They've homogenized their merchandise offerings.

The World Showcase pavilions have a few specialty shops, but they sell a lot of generic merchandise that's just slapped with the name of the country.
This is fair. I just don’t see why Morocco in particular is stoking such concern.

UNCgolf

But what about all the other Disney-run pavilions that continue to offer merchandise from the countries they represent?

Do they, though? (and I'm not being snarky; I'm actually asking)

I really only remember China, Japan, and Morocco offering anything beyond generic merchandise outside of the pavilions that have stores either run by or in partnership with outside companies.

I know Norway and Canada have nothing at all beyond generic merchandise (or at least they didn't when I was last there in January).

LittleBuford

Do they, though? (and I'm not being snarky; I'm actually asking)

I really only remember China, Japan, and Morocco offering anything beyond generic merchandise outside of the pavilions that have stores either run by or in partnership with outside companies.

I know Norway and Canada have nothing at all beyond generic merchandise (or at least they didn't when I was last there in January).
As a Brit, I found most of the merchandise in the UK pavilion to be suitably reminiscent of home,
if a little stereotypical. Mexico too was full of Mexican merchandise.

I don’t think it’s insignificant that the three pavilions you list are the ones that are most “exotic” from a Western perspective. Perhaps their merchandise stands out more to you for this reason.

Isn’t China run by Disney?

UNCgolf

As a Brit, I found most of the merchandise in the UK pavilion to be suitably reminiscent of home,
if a little stereotypical. Mexico too was full of Mexican merchandise.

I don’t think it’s insignificant that the three pavilions you list are the ones that are most “exotic” from a Western perspective. Perhaps their merchandise stands out more to you for this reason.

Isn’t China run by Disney?

I'm pretty sure the only merchandise in the England pavilion that's specifically from England are some of the snack items, although I could be forgetting something. Most of the rest is generic Disney merchandise with a UK flag, or a red telephone booth, or other things Americans associate with the country. The Twinings tea shop basically sells the same things you can find at most grocery stores here.

I forgot Mexico -- they should be added to the list. But it has nothing to do with "exotic". It's that the majority of merchandise in the other pavilions is a Mickey Mouse shirt with the country's flag as his body and other things of that nature.

IMG_1841.jpg

LittleBuford

I'm pretty sure the only merchandise in the England pavilion that's specifically from England are some of the snack items, although I could be forgetting something. Most of the rest is generic Disney merchandise with a UK flag, etc.

I forgot Mexico -- they should be added to the list. But it has nothing to do with "exotic". It's that the majority of merchandise in the other pavilions is a Mickey Mouse shirt with the country's flag as his body and other things of that nature.

View attachment 518687
As I said, I found plenty of British items at the UK (not England) pavilion, and I visited not long before the pandemic. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

If I’m wrong about Morocco, I will be disappointed and perfectly prepared to admit my mistake.

TrainsOfDisney

Thanks.

Mexico is, though, right? And there’s plenty of culturally specific merchandise to be found there.
I’m not sure about Mexico but I agree it has a decent amount of Merch.

Canada, France, and Norway are the 3 that are lacking the most imho.

I’m also not sure who operates what stores. The Tea shop seems much better stocked than the UK shop with the jerseys and the Dr. Who Merch for example.

UNCgolf

As I said, I found plenty of British items at the UK (not England) pavilion, and I visited not long before the pandemic. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

If I’m wrong about Morocco, I will be disappointed and perfectly prepared to admit my mistake.

You're right, it's technically the UK pavilion, even though it's mostly English.

What items are you talking about, though? I'd like to know, because I don't remember seeing much when I was there (also not long before the pandemic) that you can't also easily find in the US -- to be fair, though, things like the soccer/football jerseys and the Doctor Who merch would have absolutely more uniquely British item 25 years ago than they are now. It's possible the UK pavilion has just been watered down by the passage of time as those things became a part of American culture as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom