Morocco Pavilion facing financial troubles

Blog Mickey reporting the operating company of the Morocco Pavilion is facing significant financial trouble. Any thoughts on the pavilionā€™s future? Would Disney take back over operations? Is there any precedent for this?

1) Disney has already announced they will assume Morocco operations and cost.
2) This is bad news, since Disney cuts costs, manpower, and experiences whenever thy touch an exhibit or pavilion.
3) We cannot count on fingers AND toes how many great things have been cancelled by Disney.
4) Many of us sorely miss the cancelled Fife and Drum Corps, and several Character Meets (even before the onset of COVID)

LastoneOn

Lots of Aladdin merchandise. šŸ˜…
Oh No Omg GIF by Bounce

J4546

replace it with a new more interesting pavilion imo. Maybe Egypt? At the front half Id love to see a life size Sphinx that is a recreation of what is there now but at night they use laser projection to show a restored version. At the back half some pyramids, maybe they house a restaraunt, maybe a museum, or both.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
replace it with a new more interesting pavilion imo. Maybe Egypt? At the front half Id love to see a life size Sphinx that is a recreation of what is there now but at night they use laser projection to show a restored version. At the back half some pyramids, maybe they house a restaraunt, maybe a museum, or both.
We've been through this earlier in the thread: What you're suggesting is thoroughly implausible.

FettFan

Aladdin coming right up. Probabely very unpopular here but i dont think thats a bad thing. Yes better somewhere else but no chance of that....

VERY unpopular, as the Arabian Peninsula is literally 3000 damn miles away from Morocco.

Putting Aladdin in Morocco would be like putting Rescuers Down Under in the UK pavilion.

ā€œDerrr....TheY HaVe THe sAMe CuLTUre.ā€

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
VERY unpopular, as the Arabian Peninsula is literally 3000 damn miles away from Morocco.

Putting Aladdin in Morocco would be like putting Rescuers Down Under in the UK pavilion.

ā€œDerrr....TheY HaVe THe sAMe CuLTUre.ā€

You need more history in your diet, 642ā€“750AD specifically the Rashidun and Umayyad Caliphates which conquered from Mesopotamia to Spain.

To ignore history is to be doomed to repeat it.

_caleb

You need more history in your diet, 642ā€“750AD specifically the Rashidun and Umayyad Caliphates which conquered from Mesopotamia to Spain.

To ignore history is to be doomed to repeat it.
ā€œFrom Mesopotamia to Spain?ā€œ Why are the smug and condescending comments always made by people who have no idea what theyā€™re talking about?

LittleBuford

ā€œFrom Mesopotamia to Spain?ā€œ Why are the smug and condescending comments always made by people who have no idea what theyā€™re talking about?
Heā€™s referring to the early caliphate, which did indeed stretch from Spain to Mesopotamiaā€”and further east into Central Asia.

Not that any of this is relevant to Disneyā€™s Aladdin. Nor do I understand what heā€™s getting at with the ā€œdoomed to repeat itā€ comment.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Heā€™s referring to the early caliphate, which did indeed stretch from Spain to Mesopotamiaā€”and further east into Central Asia.

Not that any of this is relevant to Disneyā€™s Aladdin. Nor do I understand what heā€™s getting at with the ā€œdoomed to repeat itā€ comment.

Nothing exists in a vacuum. Architecture and cultural practices evolve over time as they are exposed to others. Some things are adopted, some things discarded.

_caleb

It was mostly the condescension that I was reacting to. The reasons I said that he doesnā€™t know what heā€™s talking about:
  • Mesopotamia is a region and Spain is a country (which didnā€™t exist during the time of the caliphate). It would be more accurate to say ā€œfrom Mesopotamia to the Iberian peninsulaā€ or ā€œfrom modern-day Iraq to modern-day Spain."
  • The early (Rashidun) caliphates did include Egypt, but did not stretch into modern-day Morocco or Spain.
  • The "moorish" occupation of southern Europe does not mean that Morocco has the same culture or architecture as Egypt (this was the point being responded to).
  • The World Showcase country pavilions are based on modern-day countries, not historical ones. Otherwise, huzzah! The Morocco pavilion is ALREADY a Spain pavilion!
If he's going to "well, actually..." he should be kind and more accurate.

_caleb

Nothing exists in a vacuum. Architecture and cultural practices evolve over time as they are exposed to others. Some things are adopted, some things discarded.
Right. And everything changes. Nothing is static, culture evolves and grows over time. It's fun to trace the streams of influence, but Morocco and Egypt evolved quite differently over time.

To me, that's what they got right with the pavilion-it doesn't feel like a generic "Muslim country or whatever" it evokes a real place that is the product of many different influences over many years.

LittleBuford

It was mostly the condescension that I was reacting to. The reasons I said that he doesnā€™t know what heā€™s talking about:
  • Mesopotamia is a region and Spain is a country (which didnā€™t exist during the time of the caliphate). It would be more accurate to say ā€œfrom Mesopotamia to the Iberian peninsulaā€ or ā€œfrom modern-day Iraq to modern-day Spain."
  • The early (Rashidun) caliphates did include Egypt, but did not stretch into modern-day Morocco or Spain.
  • The "moorish" occupation of southern Europe does not mean that Morocco has the same culture or architecture as Egypt (this was the point being responded to).
  • The World Showcase country pavilions are based on modern-day countries, not historical ones. Otherwise, huzzah! The Morocco pavilion is ALREADY a Spain pavilion!
If he's going to "well, actually..." he should be kind and more accurate.
I agree with pretty much all of this, though the second point is a little unfair (he was referring to the Umayyads as well).

_caleb

I agree with pretty much all of this, though the second point is a little unfair (he was referring to the Umayyads as well).
Yes. The Umayyad did include the southern half of the Iberian peninsula.

Why did he mention the Rashidun caliphate in a discussion thread about the Morocco pavilion at Epcot? Because he was trying to sound smart and put another poster in their place. That's not cool.

_caleb

It was also an attempt to lend legitimacy to the ā€œItā€™s all Arab anywayā€ claim that has popped up at various points in this thread.
Yes! Which I hate (and I know you do, too). It's particularity frustrating when coming from Americans, who are infamously ignorant about the rest of the world.

What makes World Showcase special is the attention to the details that make each represented countries unique. I just hope whoever is in charge doesn't take up the position that "The Morocco pavilion is themed to a generic Arab country or whatever."

stevebwv

I find it bizarre so many people get hung up on the placement of fictitious characters. These are for the most part fairy tales or simple modern cartoons. A talking snowman from a made up land in Norway? NO WAY! A talking rat in France, well that just makes sense since the cartoon was based in Paris. Completely logical!

To me the question is does the addition of a character add or detract from the pavilion? Maelstrom was a significant loss not because a cartoon replaced it but because the Frozen ride itself is poor. But the people love it. The rat ride in Paris is huge win. Lost nothing and added a major attraction. Do talking rats really live in Paris. Nope.

Aladdin placed in a often overlooked Morocco pavilion? Excellent idea. I appreciate the attention to detail in the pavilion but once I walk through it for 15 minutes every other year I am good. Time to move to the next one. Does a cartoon representation of a fable fit geographically? I don't care and neither does the typical "ignorant" American when they visiting a theme park (it is not a museum).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom