More WDI Layoffs Planned?

speck76

wannab@dis said:
Your post above was entirely based on SGE.

well, that is what Grizz does......blabs to death about a very few amount of attractions, like they are the rule, not the exception......

Woody13

General Grizz said:
So you also agree, Woody, that the Walt Disney Company made an excellent decision to fire the thousand of Animation employees and stick to 3-D art only (for theatrical releases)?
I don't think Disney ever had "thousands" of animators on staff. However, if they did, then I'm pleased that they fired them. It only takes a few key animators to make a good picture. The rest are just ink and paint jockeys (such as Walt's wife). The "inbetweeners" do most of the drawing.

If Disney does not outsource their animation work to the far east, then they too will become the next GM.

"3-D art" (your term) is (if I understand your meaning) the norm now. I agree with Eisner on this issue re the reference to black and white vs. color movies. No one at Pixar is making "2-D".

Nion4

General Grizz said:
So you also agree, Woody, that the Walt Disney Company made an excellent decision to fire the thousand of Animation employees and stick to 3-D art only (for theatrical releases)?

Get with the times Grizzle Fashizzle!

The reality is, Roy Sr. pushed on innovation and Walt was big on entertainment. Since when do you keep an old unpopular format alive...?

Woody13

ClemsonTigger said:
My greater concern is with the parks. While any competent engineering group can build a ride, building and integrating a Disney attraction is something else. And while I agree that as of late, the weak excuses of Primeval Whirl, Stitch, and DCA and some others don't demonstrate what we might expect from imagineers, it may be more to meddling and dilution from the management side rather than stale imagineering.
Disney does not need a big staff of Imagineers! As Corrus states in his signature, "If You Can Dream It, We Already Thought About It!!!" Dreaming and thinking is easy. All of us Disney fans have major plans! Doing, of course, is another ball game. Heck, Disney needs to hire Grizz as their sole Imagineer. He's got dreams beyond the average Disney Imagineer!

Sure, Disney needs to retain a small "brain trust" of designers to ensure that things mesh properly. However, most of these design projects don't need to be done in house. For example, anyone could create a better attraction than the CBJ!

colliera

What happens when . . .

WDI functions as a specialized research and development arm of Disney. Specialized in the sense that it steps past basic R & D into final design and actual construction in varying degrees. While this thread has focused on the parks and their attractions don't dismiss the work done for the resorts, supporting infrastructure, and overall property development management.

So the question is, to put it in a historical perspective, what happens when any company cuts/eliminates its R & D division?

General Grizz

Original Poster
speck76 said:
well, that is what Grizz does......blabs to death about a very few amount of attractions, like they are the rule, not the exception......
SGE was not the only example

DCA was another, which wannab so conveniently left out of his message.

I could go on and on if you'd like, but honestly, I really don't think you care what I say, as there's always something wrong with it - so why bother?

General Grizz

Original Poster
ClemsonTigger said:
Woody, while I agree that new blood can add to the process, even with your example of Pixar...there are key personnel associated with all of the films to date. Even thought there may be totally new teams, there is still a "Pixar approach"

Just as there is a fundamentally different approach/look to Dreamworks animation...which is probably more individually contracted...still, withoout having them identified as such, I'm sure you could pick them out.

My greater concern is with the parks. While any competent engineering group can build a ride, building and integrating a Disney attraction is something else. And while I agree that as of late, the weak excuses of Primeval Whirl, Stitch, and DCA and some others don't demonstrate what we might expect from imagineers, it may be more to meddling and dilution from the management side rather than stale imagineering.
Bingo.

Woody, do you know how long John Lassetter has been working for Disney and Pixar? Remember Joe Ranft?

You can't just live off new blood. Especially if that new blood is temporary, because then why have such a great work ethic?

And remember that this will all go back to haunt Disney in the rear end. Remember who created Islands of Adventure (that's right...primarily ex-Disney Imagineers).

General Grizz

Original Poster
Nion4 said:
Get with the times Grizzle Fashizzle!

The reality is, Roy Sr. pushed on innovation and Walt was big on entertainment. Since when do you keep an old unpopular format alive...?
Since it still entertains. Trust me, if you put Pixar to work on 2-D films, the box-office successes would clear any doubt.

Home on the Range would have been just as bad and would have made the little money it did in 3-D.

As it's been discussed on other threads, it's the story. Fire the story men of 2-D and create 3-D with the same mindset, and you're still not going to end up with the classics of the early 90s.

wannab@dis

General Grizz said:
SGE was not the only example

DCA was another, which wannab so conveniently left out of his message.

I could go on and on if you'd like, but honestly, I really don't think you care what I say, as there's always something wrong with it - so why bother?

ooops... sorry. Didn't mean to leave out your ONE other example. Again, as with SGE, the vocal small percentage of die hard fans are the ones that scream so much hate for attractions or a park in this case.

Everything that you post Grizz is filtered with your "I'm the only person that can run Disney" glasses. Your posts are filled with tirades about how things are so bad. Your website failed to bring in the masses because people don't want to focus on negative minutia. Your claim to fame comes from two things... one is lamenting the loss of YOUR precious attractions because you have no vision. second is the tirades of how everything new will not live up to YOUR grand scheme - most of the time before the attraction is even complete.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
New angle -

What about not keeping the old 2D way for just nostalgic reasons? 3D is a less tedious medium allowing more time to be spent on story. For example, you 2D animate a sequnce, you don't want to cut it from the film - no matter how bad it is. With 3D, i's easier to reanimated and fix mistakes, allowing more time for contemplation of the plot.

wannab@dis

colliera said:
WDI functions as a specialized research and development arm of Disney. Specialized in the sense that it steps past basic R & D into final design and actual construction in varying degrees. While this thread has focused on the parks and their attractions don't dismiss the work done for the resorts, supporting infrastructure, and overall property development management.

So the question is, to put it in a historical perspective, what happens when any company cuts/eliminates its R & D division?

First, WDI is made up of much more than "R & D". There's no proof that the "R & D" side of WDI will be seeing any layoffs. It's only conjecture and there's no reasons given for "possible" layoffs.

General Grizz

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
ooops... sorry. Didn't mean to leave out your ONE other example. Again, as with SGE, the vocal small percentage of die hard fans are the ones that scream so much hate for attractions or a park in this case.

Everything that you post Grizz is filtered with your "I'm the only person that can run Disney" glasses. Your posts are filled with tirades about how things are so bad. Your website failed to bring in the masses because people don't want to focus on negative minutia. Your claim to fame comes from two things... one is lamenting the loss of YOUR precious attractions because you have no vision. second is the tirades of how everything new will not live up to YOUR grand scheme - most of the time before the attraction is even complete.
If I were the only person that could run Disney, wouldn't I WANT people like Bruce Gordon to be laid off? :lookaroun

Normally, I would defend my various points of view, but I've done that far too much in posts and writing ignored in the acceptance of the ideals of which you've spoken of.

I'm out with this thread, and my responses to your message already exist and can be found in history.

In the meantime, let's open this as a forum of discussion for those wishing to discuss and debate Imagineering. As I will no longer be a part of it, it is my hope that this thread turn away from its personal-attack/debate mode and a shift back to topic for the purposes of the entire forum.

That is, if it is your wish to keep the decency in these forums of which we support in one way or another.

Perhaps it would be in the best interest to send me PMs for anything you'd be wishing to discuss.

wannab@dis

General Grizz said:
In the meantime, let's open this as a forum of discussion for those wishing to discuss and debate Imagineering. As I will no longer be a part of it, it is my hope that this thread turn away from its personal-attack/debate mode and a shift back to topic for the purposes of the entire forum. That is, if that is your wish as well.

I really thought we were discussing and debating Imagineering. Your posts across the forum can be used to ascertain your views on the situation, right? I mean, surely, you don't change your views from one thread to another?

This thread is about possible layoffs. Your posts turned it into the "loss of Imagineering" to which I have replied. If I don't agree with your ideals, I am suddenly "attacking" you? I'm not the one that spent months complaining about how Soarin would destroy the land. Interesting how so many people enjoy the pavilion. It's busier than it's ever been. It's a huge success. And yet you became extremely quiet on the subject once it was clear that people really liked how it turned out. I'm sorry, but your tirades need to be softened by others that don't see things the same way.

I have a feeling that many other people on the forum sees things the same way I do. You are only happy when complaining about how things are falling apart or those evil monsters in management aren't doing it the way you think it should be done.

General Grizz

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
I really thought we were discussing and debating Imagineering. Your posts across the forum can be used to ascertain your views on the situation, right? I mean, surely, you don't change your views from one thread to another?

This thread is about possible layoffs. Your posts turned it into the "loss of Imagineering" to which I have replied. If I don't agree with your ideals, I am suddenly "attacking" you? I'm not the one that spent months complaining about how Soarin would destroy the land. Interesting how so many people enjoy the pavilion. It's busier than it's ever been. It's a huge success. And yet you became extremely quiet on the subject once it was clear that people really liked how it turned out. I'm sorry, but your tirades need to be softened by others that don't see things the same way.

I have a feeling that many other people on the forum sees things the same way I do. You are only happy when complaining about how things are falling apart or those evil monsters in management aren't doing it the way you think it should be done.
Okay, if you weren't "attacking" (don't have the interest to search for the best term to use) me with a Grizz-focus in the previous post, that was just it ^.

With that being said, I'm out, and I once again stress the importance of allowing the thread to go back on topic.

wannab@dis

General Grizz said:
Okay, if you weren't "attacking" (don't have the interest to search for the best term to use) me with a Grizz-focus in the previous post, that was just it ^.

With that being said, I'm out, and I once again stress the importance of allowing the thread to go back on topic.

Wow... I'm sorry. I guess I don't see debating topics and attacking someone as the same thing. :hammer:

Legacy

General Grizz said:
And remember that this will all go back to haunt Disney in the rear end. Remember who created Islands of Adventure (that's right...primarily ex-Disney Imagineers).
But Islands of Adventure never turned out to be the Disney-killer it was suppose to. Don't get me wrong, I love the park and it is of a super-high caliber. However even I will admit that it's not as good as the Magic Kingdom.

imagineer boy

Good grief, since when this turn into the bash grizz thread? Wanab@dis, personally, I think Grizz really is the best person to run the company. And ofcorse Grizz posts about how things are bad. Because they really are! You just don't want to listen. Simple as that.

Tigger1988

imagineer boy said:
Good grief, since when this turn into the bash grizz thread? Wanab@dis, personally, I think Grizz really is the best person to run the company. And ofcorse Grizz posts about how things are bad. Because they really are! You just don't want to listen. Simple as that.

Agreed and good post! :wave: And Grizz I totally agree with your points. Lets stop all the bashing here...its pointless

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom