More places to get beer and wine at the Magic Kingdom

216bruce

Don't lump yourself in with @NMBC1993
You have your opinion, which is a valid one- yet you don't act self-riteous, pompous, and don't resort to name calling.
Because of that, I respect and appreciate your opinion, and not theirs.
Thanks for being reasonable. It's appreciated. I guess my whole point is that it should be OK to not have booze available everywhere. There's plenty of places at WDW (pretty much everywhere else) to have a drink and it should be OK to have somewhere where it's not. I enjoy a nice craft beer or two on vaco or a glass of wine with dinner, but the MK should remain a place that is an oasis from 'adult'...be a kid and just enjoy being that without a drink. It's very, very possible to be perfectly fine without it and it's a wonderful escape in and of itself. There's a goodly amount of comments from folks on this thread that screams "I should probably be in Vegas instead".

Prototype82

Great....just great.

If this comes to pass, why even try to follow Walt's vision anymore? Just open a micro-brewery in the old Tomorrowland Arcade and sell different craft beers representing all the lands of MK...
I WANT A HAUNTED MANSION STOUT...Sorry, I got excited there...Tiki Bird IPA...

The more important parts of Walt's original vision involve an innovative Tomorrowland and a city of the future. The lack of these are far worse than allowing quality moderated beverages in Magic Kingdom.

HRHPrincessAriel

I'm just scratching my head to all these comments that I feel scream THINK OF THE CHILDREN HIDE THE DRINKING OF BOOZE FROM THE CHILDREN!! They should all be shielded from this at MK!!

I guess CPS will be coming for us soon as my child has seen me have *gasp* a drink.
For the record I'm fine either way. Booze or not at MK. I'm not jonesing for it if it's not there but I'd probably order of it was(apparently scarring my daughter in the process).

Disnee4Me

I don't think it would mean lots of drunks stumbling around MK. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only place this is ever an issue, based on what I read round these parts, is the world showcase in Epcot. Libations are aplenty with an abundance of carts and kiosks and such, and there are some people who visit there with the sole intention of getting their drink on. I don't think people would be going to the MK with the same intentions.
The only time I saw a LOT of real drunk people at Epcot was on New Years Eve!!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm perfectly OK with people drinking.
I'm totally against people who can't, or won't, control their drinking.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ and this is why F&W has gotten a such a bad reputation especially on weekends because it turns into an outdoor pub crawl,

Nothing wrong with enjoying beer wine or hard liquor, But there is a substantial fraction of drinkers who frankly drink to get drunk and THATS why Walt did not want alcohol except for a private speakeasy in his parks because no one enjoys the company of drunken individuals. Unfortunately the lure of Alcodollars is driving Disney to make some truly bad decision because heat, crowds and alcohol make one heck of a volatile combination.

NMBC1993

I don't get offended on the Internet. But that doesn't make me immune to calling a spade a spade.

I have four statements- but like you said, don't take them personally.

1- someone who says that something is going to be the last time, then continually responds is a liar.
2- someone who labels someone who has one drink as a drunken idiot is a judgemental *******.
3- just because someone was previously a fat kid doesn't make it morally ok to throw around labels. Likewise, it is not morally ok to call other kids fat- which is typically just a result of their genetics and their parents allowing them to eat unhealthy food. But I think you think it's ok just because you "overcame it". Hence why I would discipline my children if I overheard them calling a peer fat- not encourage it.
4- I don't think you overcame anything- particularly as it relates to your father- I think you have serious damage and scarring and need therapy, because you can't disassociate a person who has a drink with your abusive father. But that's just my opinion, whatever that's worth.

*****Caution - Only replying to make my emends before I take some time time away from the site.******

First of all, I would like to say, yes (sir or madam) you are correct. That I am a liar in responding to more posts. Really, what I meant in the message was my last response to you regarding your last post (if that makes sense). Now since someone else decided to jump on my case, I felt the need to explain things to them as well. Regardless, yes I am indeed a liar in this context. That's why I placed the caution on top of this one, for insurance.

Second. Yeah, I suppose if someone is upset by just lumping a group of people (or in some cases a product) together out of context, that they would consider that person to be an *******, sure. But I really can't believe that people on here are taking two words so close to heart. To me, calling someone a drunken idiot is the equivalent of calling someone who drinks, by one of those crazy British terms. You know, when someone drinks, they become "plonk" or "rumpy pumpy". It's the same as buzzed or inebriated. I mean, eventually that's what happens with alcohol, right? Can we all at least agree on that? I didn't realize using a certain word in a general sense would have such an impact. What I mean by this is something that it really isn't a racial slur or insulting to any sort of gender, or really all that offensive to begin with. Like I said, there are 8 year old's on the internet who are saying way worse things than I have ever have on this site (saw a video yesterday of a kid threatening to cut someone with a knife). There's some way worse slang being thrown around all over these days. Is "drunken idiots" really what gets people upset? Bill Nye wants to throw people in jail for crying out loud. Seems like "drunken idiots" should be low on the totem pole.

Yes, I'll admit that I have a skewed view of alcohol. Again, if you were in my shoes, wouldn't you? If it was the source of a lot problems in your life, wouldn't you not be a fan of it either? People on here scream and moan about how alcohol has so many benefits and how it's not hurting anyone, but come on. Don't act like it's something that shouldn't be kept in check. If something has to be kept in check, don't you think it's probably not the best for you? Look at Epcot, even the majority of people on this forum agree it's an issue. So imagine the Epcot crowd inside the Magic Kingdom. Do you really think it's going to stop at "limiting beverages to dinner"? This is WDW we're talking about...if they can find a way to sponge money out of anything, they will...and by the sounds of it, as long as it's what the guests want, they'll applaud it. That's why I'm so upset, all you people who post on this forum apparently love all that Walt Disney has brought us, correct? But you can't respect the man enough to acknowledge his wishes (at least the ones that are still in place)? People say on here that Bob Iger an co. have no respect for the "Disney name", then why don't we...the fans at least acknowledge them? Shouldn't we hold true to what is left of our Kingdom that is currently sinking into the mote (theoretically)? So yes, to me if your so willing to stomp all over the memory of the man who brought you this kingdom just so you can "toss one back" then you are just as much of a drunken idiot as I am an *******.

Thirdly, I never said I "overcame" anything. I was saddled with a slightly offensive nickname in high school and didn't let it bother me. I could have been like all of you. "Oh, how dare someone call me a certain name, I'm going to take offense". Heck it was even worse for me because I was personally stuck with the name. At least "drunken idiots" is general. I accepted it and the name became a part of me. I didn't "fight the odds" and become some kind of mascot for a weight loss program. I just shrugged it off as a name, nothing more. Don't any of you have crazy nicknames you give your close friends? Especially when your in the HS/college years? "Pledges" who apply for a futurity have horrible names thrown at them just so they have the opportunity to live somewhere. I'm sure during some class reunion, that same pledge was called out by his "brothers" by that name when they finally meet up years later. What's the difference between something like that and what applies to me? My point to that story was a name is just a name (to a certain degree, trying to be reasonable), nothing more. You don't have to choose to take offense to it.

Lastly, I want to thank you. Yes, I do realize I have psychological problems with my past (again, wouldn't you?). I definitely never said I have "overcome those issues". They haunt me on a daily basis. I've been trying to shift my life around ever since then and have only scratched the surface of "overcoming it". But to be fair, I think the whole world has psychological problems in one way or the other. Again, just a general term, not targeting anyone in particular (if you're reading this, it is not about you). Between all that happens in the world, there are a lot of "screwballs". That's why I personally don't believe we need to be giving these people access to alcohol or anything else that might present an issue to themselves or others (especially in the Magic Kingdom). Meaning that it may not be you, or your neighbor, or anyone where you live. But there are people who do bad things, especially when under the influence (trust me, I know). If that opinion is too strong for you, then that's just me being an *******, blame my parents ;)

Anyway like I said, I think I'm going to take a break from this forum for awhile. Clearly, my opinions are a bit too extreme for this website. But before I go I want to say I appreciate and am grateful to meet all of you who have accepted me over these last 8 years. It was wonderful to meet others who shared my love for Disney (nice to find a bunch of "immature losers" like me). I'll miss you all and hope the site continues to blossom. I'll be here on the sidelines hoping we can keep the pixie dust flowing.

I'll leave you with this. If we don't continue to honor Walt and strive to make his dream a prominent reality. What's the point of trumpeting his name to begin with? If we treat his name and philosophy as "not big deal" and "out of date" Doesn't his name just become any other name? A name that is "generic"? A name that becomes no different than "Iger World".....At least he's up on today's trends, right? Might as well name the place after him.

Anyway........Peace, I be out! Take care everyone :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Great....just great.

If this comes to pass, why even try to follow Walt's vision anymore? Just open a micro-brewery in the old Tomorrowland Arcade and sell different craft beers representing all the lands of MK. Heck, why not create alcoholic chewing gum and go the full mile...
The gum sounds disgusting but I'm listening on the micro-brewery idea. Maybe I'm reading between the lines but I think what you're saying is that if they are going to sell beer it should at least be good beer. I'm with you on that:)

Edit: after reading further...clearly, that was not what you were saying.

Last edited:

JiminyandTink

Not meant to make a point, but a Walt Disney quote on a semi-related topic that I've always found funny...

"Walt Disney doesn't drink. I drink. Walt Disney, doesn't smoke, I do. I'm not 'Walt Disney.' - Walt Disney

glidden

I dont think we need alcohol in the parks, but some people it would help. I know people who have drinkning problems in my family and friends. If they dont have something they can get very mad and abusive. Some people would benifit from a drink. The parks can always limit the number of drinks to one per person at a sit down resturant. I think we have to look at the fact that people drink and it is a problem. People also smoke and we have areas for people to smoke in. I just quite after 28 years. I would only smoke in designated area and not in other spots. It helped keep the cravings down and did it as little as possible. I didnt pay thousands of dollars to go smoke at DISNEY I wanted a vacation.
Just my 2 cents

ThemeParkJunkee

As I think about it, many of the MK restaurants do not lend themselves well to a beer and wine venue in the way BOG does. The reason I say this is because I like to have wine with my meal to enhance the enjoyment of the food, pairing wine with my entree'. Tony's could benefit from a nice Chianti or an Italian beer and Skippers Canteen could be a fit. None of the other venues seem appropriate though. I can't see it at a buffet or Character meal.

mhochman

To me, calling someone a drunken idiot is the equivalent of calling someone who drinks, by one of those crazy British terms. You know, when someone drinks, they become "plonk" or "rumpy pumpy". It's the same as buzzed or inebriated. I mean, eventually that's what happens with alcohol, right? Can we all at least agree on that?

Sorry, I can't agree to that. I can have a beer and not feel or act buzzed, inebriated, or plonked.

**Stacy**

Alcohol at table service restaurants inside the MK does not bother me, however the introduction of alcohol may hurt the MK resort restaurants that may draw a small fraction of park goers that like wine/beer with their evening meal and are willing to take a break from the parks for dinner before venturing out for evening park touring. Lucky for them Disney has turned priority seating into a competitive sport and those restaurants probably won't feel it until some sort of economic downturn has some affect on park attendance. I don't like the look of kiosk/cart bars and MK doesn't really have the space to accommodate another line snaking around Fantasyland. so I would hope they limit it to restaurants, or only pull out kiosk bars for special events. I rarely drink, the potential personal/professional consequences of poor decision making far outweigh the sleepy buzz I will get halfway through alcoholic drink.

For what it's worth, some nursing homes and some hospitals here in the states may serve beer or wine to the patients who are dependent on that nightly drink. Remove those who cannot control themselves send them to their room or hold them til they sober up or have someone who is sober drive them home(a potential consequence for Disney for over-serving), put up signs about designated drivers and making smart choices.

bugsbunny

To alcohol! The cause and solution to all of life's problems.

If feel the need to be upset over this "fouling" of your fiberglass sculpted fantasyland, you might want to see if you can bring back Prohibition :p Otherwise there's really no stopping it and I'm surprised it took this long. The need for extra revenue is no doubt the kicker. My joke about pay toilets might actually be happening next.

MaryJaneP

We have a number of concerns with this rumor.
1. We do not think it is advisable to ride motion intense rides (i.e. space mountain) with people that might be nauseated by their alcohol.
2. This may slow down turn-over at restaurants that serve alcohol as people sit to finish the drinks they paid for.
3. As has been previously mentioned, lines at restrooms will be bad. Maybe the previous FP+ solution to restrooms will come to pass.

bugsbunny

We have a number of concerns with this rumor.
1. We do not think it is advisable to ride motion intense rides (i.e. space mountain) with people that might be nauseated by their alcohol.
2. This may slow down turn-over at restaurants that serve alcohol as people sit to finish the drinks they paid for.
3. As has been previously mentioned, lines at restrooms will be bad. Maybe the previous FP+ solution to restrooms will come to pass.

I'm not aware of the high numbes of vomit episodes at Epcot in relation to alcohol and Mission Space and Test Track.

As long as there is free dining and limited sit down at MK, there willing be limited ADRs and slow turn over. Beer or wine will barely make a difference.

And as far as bathrooms go, it can't be any worse than Epcot. Not because of long lines, but of the distance between bathrooms. MK is probably already setup better.

People! Marijuana is legal in some states now. People drinking beer at MKi s not the beginning of the apocalypse. Hobos will not begin sleeping on the benches and used dirty needles won't be found laying next to Haunted Mansion. Somehow, I think we're all going to be OK if this happens :)

Kman101

The problem with these kinds of threads is that people project their personal feelings onto the subject. If you suffered through a lousy childhood with alcoholics, you will likely have a negative view, regardless. Doesn't make you wrong, or right. Doesn't make the other person wrong or right either. I had plenty of examples of bad alcoholic behavior growing up, I practically grew up in a bar TBH, and for quite a while I had a very "I'm never drinking or smoking" attitude. I would get upset at my roommates for being drunks every night, but you know what? It wasn't really like that. I loosened my stance, and I had my fun time. I don't really drink at all now. If a party comes up or if I go out (which is rare anymore), I'll have some drinks. You can overdo anything and become addicted to anything. People are addicted to soda/sugar.

bugsbunny

I concur. My father was an alcoholic and so are/were extended members of my family. But I have no desire to do any substance in an abusive manner nor do I have any cravings where my day can't go on unless I get my fix. But I completely understand addiction and it's evils. Take away beer, and someone will huff paint. The desire outweighs any logic you think you can apply. That's why it's really a mental illness.

I know plenty of people who go to MK and take a flask or bottle with them. If you see an adult with a Disney refillable mug in MK, I'd say even odds it's Jack and Coke or Captain and Coke.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom