More places to get beer and wine at the Magic Kingdom

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
When I see the sanctimonious pontificate Im always reminded of the old Scottish Jewish gentleman Rabbi Burns, and his immortal lines to a Louse. The closing section especially pertinent and pasted below.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Walt Disney himself is very much a part of the history of Walt Disney World, he makes up two thirds of it's name! He very publicly stated, in fact on television, that he was not going to sell beer at Disneyland as he disliked the atmosphere of lesser quality amusement parks. Not his exact words but basically that was his point. Why? Because he wanted Disneyland to be different. Why bother to keep the park so clean? Most amusement parks don't spend so much on maintaining a pristinely clean environment. Again, it is to differentiate from the competition, to be superior.
Did you know that Disneyland had a restaurant with a full service bar while Walt was still alive?
I have friends who visited Florida from England and they didn't actually visit WDW at all this trip, they chose to only go to Universal and Busch Gardens.
I would hate to see this become the norm. If Disney don't maintain a large enough economic moat, it surly could become the norm.
Busch Gardens and Universal have alcohol. Lots of it. Way more than you can get at MK. I guess your perceived economic moat failed since they chose the parks with alcohol more readily available. Or more likely it was just that those parks had other things (like new rides and attractions) that appealed to them and alcohol didn't factor in.
As I have said, its hard in the moment to realise when a company is beginning to loose its competitive advantage, look at Blackberry in 2006 - could anyone have predicted it's demise? What did they do wrong? Not much, but they did not do enough to maintain a superior product and a number of competitors gradually gained market share. There are many examples of market leading companies failing to maintain a big enough advantage over their competition, when you look back historically it's easy to see.
I'm sorry, but this is just a huge stretch. Listing out companies that failed in the past is not evidence that selling beer and wine at dinner in sit down restaurants in the MK will result in the ultimate demise of TWDC. Did those companies fail? Yes, but it has nothing to do with alcohol in MK unless you can tell me you really think that makes a huge difference. There are many issues with the current path of TWDC and what you are saying about large successful companies failing is true, but the selling of beer and wine in MK at dinner isn't a tipping point for the vast majority of guests.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Unless you're the kid who's parents would rather get drunk in Magic Kingdom than watch the parade... It's already happening at Epcot:

Personally I enjoy Magic Kingdom as it is. The ultimate escape from reality. Alcohol is likely to detract from the experience in my opinion.

Have you been to MK recently? BoG has had beer and wine for a while now. Has it detracted from your experience?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Unless you're the kid who's parents would rather get drunk in Magic Kingdom than watch the parade... It's already happening at Epcot:

Personally I enjoy Magic Kingdom as it is. The ultimate escape from reality. Alcohol is likely to detract from the experience in my opinion.

Hey...I was thirsty

mitchk

Did you know that Disneyland had a restaurant with a full service bar while Walt was still alive?

Busch Gardens and Universal have alcohol. Lots of it. Way more than you can get at MK. I guess your perceived economic moat failed since they chose the parks with alcohol more readily available. Or more likely it was just that those parks had other things (like new rides and attractions) that appealed to them and alcohol didn't factor in.

I'm sorry, but this is just a huge stretch. Listing out companies that failed in the past is not evidence that selling beer and wine at dinner in sit down restaurants in the MK will result in the ultimate demise of TWDC. Did those companies fail? Yes, but it has nothing to do with alcohol in MK unless you can tell me you really think that makes a huge difference. There are many issues with the current path of TWDC and what you are saying about large successful companies failing is true, but the selling of beer and wine in MK at dinner isn't a tipping point for the vast majority of guests.

This

EOD K9

And now I am going to throw my two cents in. I am not a drinker. I was the sober one through college who drove people home and therefore didn't/don't need alcohol to have fun. I've never been in WDW and have had any. That being said, I do have something on a Disney Cruise. Generally, it involves rum. Having seen some of the worst in people on the street, intoxicated people really annoy me, especially at Epcot. Now, I am not going to begrudge anyone if they want something here and there and can control themselves. Many can and many cannot. So, my opinion which will not count for anything is this....keep it to table service only.
New thought, being as there are many threads on snack pricing, I was wondering if we should start a poll as to our thoughts on more availability of alcohol on MK. If you'd like to see said poll, get this post to ten likes.

IMFearless

As I have said, I don't believe this is a big enough issue to cause the demise of Magic Kingdom, and I am well aware of Walt's inconsistent approach to things.

My reason for thinking this isn't the best idea isn't a blind historic ignorance that nothing should change. I just don't think the change is necessarily an improvement.

I certainly feel that the atmosphere of the Universal Parks, Busch, Six Flags and even Epcot and Hollywood Studios leave a lot to be desired when compared to Magic Kingdom or Disneyland. What do others think? Is it just me who feels like MK is somehow special?

Personally, I don't think the lack of alcohol is preventing people from attending Magic Kingdom at the moment. There are plenty of great food and alcohol options available with the monorail resorts nearby.

The big problem I have is this: I do not trust current management to limit the alcohol only to table service restaurants - the situation at Epcot shows they are quite happy to allow people to get wasted. This certainly does detract from the experience in my opinion. What do others think? Do people believe they won't gradually just extend this to many other areas in MK serving alcohol?

If the kind of behaviour that I have seen in Epcot was to become a "thing" in Magic Kingdom it would definitely detract from my experience. What will be will be, but I think they are shortsighted if they think this is a good idea. To me it is an example of short term gains at the expense of long term success.

When BOG started serving alcohol I voiced my opinion that it would not end there, it looks like I was right. BOG was obviously a test to see how people responded.

I don't have a big problem with people drinking alcohol, I just don't feel that it fits particularly well in Magic Kingdom. The idiot who climbed the Mexico Pavilion is a great example of what I would find irritating, and if I was there with kids quite unpleasant. The people fighting in line at Test Track. The guy who jumped off the friendship boat leaving International Gateway. There are lots of examples of bad guest behaviour in other parks.

Despite MK being far more crowded it doesn't yet seem to suffer to the same extent from this type of thing. Just how I feel on it, but I respect that others may disagree, I'm certainly not trying to judge others, nor am I a non-drinker.

We shall see how it turns out.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
My kids get bored in Magic Kingdom..., so I want alcohol. It will be a huge draw to adults that did not care to visit MK before. All of the surrounding lands will benefit from this. Selling alcohol in MK was inspired by America. This will alleviate crowds at other parks. People want IP based cups decorated with characters. Thats how it works right?...or do those excuses only apply at Epcot for Norway pavilion and Frozen?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
For all the people who use "crazy drunk people at Epcot" as some kind of reasoning as to why this is a bad idea, please, just stop. People make it seem like whenever you cross that threshold into World Showcase you enter into a midievial realm of bar fights and vomiting all around you. Its complete and utter BS. In all my years visiting I have seen more completely sober moms with strollers act absolutely rude and nasty to a CM at the front desk, GS, restaurant, ride entrance, bus stop, etc.

If there is anything you feel you need to shield your childs eyes from at WDW, its not drunk people...its the arrogant and entitled attitudes of completely sober people who feel the need to berate a 19 year old Cast Member or run over everybodys feet with their 5 foot double wide stroller because their 5 and 7 year old kids shouldnt have to walk, or those who push their way to the curb of MSUSA right before the parade starts. And FWIW, people have been drinking in the MK for a VERY long time, so spare me the, "it will ruin the experience". Youve probly stood in line for IASW right next to a person sipping OJ and vodka from their "Disney Parks" cup.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's not just about making money. It's also about guest satisfaction. A lot of people like to have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. It enhances their experience and with the markup on alcohol makes a nice profit too. There's nothing wrong with making money on something that is actually enhancing guest's experience. It's a win/win.

The problem with alcohol in the MK is that with overcrowding in the MK there WILL be ugly alcohol related incidents because some people drink to get drunk and there is a substantial fraction of drunks who are angry and aggressive and those drunks will not react well to the incursions on personal space which are so common at WDW. Yes there is alcohol sold at the other 3 parks none of which have the crowding issues so common at the MK and yes there are people nipping at vodka in water bottles and whiskey in apple juice containers in the MK.

Just imagine one of those 5 foot wide urban assault strollers running into one of those angry drunks or their family, You are going to have a brawl which makes the national news.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For all the people who use "crazy drunk people at Epcot" as some kind of reasoning as to why this is a bad idea, please, just stop. People make it seem like whenever you cross that threshold into World Showcase you enter into a midievial realm of bar fights and vomiting all around you. Its complete and utter BS. In all my years visiting I have seen more completely sober moms with strollers act absolutely rude and nasty to a CM at the front desk, GS, restaurant, ride entrance, bus stop, etc.

If there is anything you feel you need to shield your childs eyes from at WDW, its not drunk people...its the arrogant and entitled attitudes of completely sober people who feel the need to berate a 19 year old Cast Member or run over everybodys feet with their 5 foot double wide stroller because their 5 and 7 year old kids shouldnt have to walk, or those who push their way to the curb of MSUSA right before the parade starts. And FWIW, people have been drinking in the MK for a VERY long time, so spare me the, "it will ruin the experience". Youve probly stood in line for IASW right next to a person sipping OJ and vodka from their "Disney Parks" cup.

Obviously you have never been to F&W on a weekend evening it's NOT pretty, Locals come to get drunk and succeed. Difference at UNI is rowdy drunks are removed from the parks ASAP, Disney not so much during F&W.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Jimmy Buffet would also agree a business must addapt to market changes. Kodak failed because its market litterally disappeared. Who wants a cell phone to also be their primary camera? Apparently most vacationers. Kodak failed to evolve with this massive change in it's market. Disney on the other hand is changing and has been changing. No alcohol in the MK is a dated yet time honored tradition, but it is not part of the economic moat. Disney does not even advertise this... "Where Fantasy Reigns and Alcohol is Ban" was never said or hinted to in any commercial on line or in print.

Kodak failed in large part because they screwed their professional and industrial customers by yanking products necessary to those customers to use the money 'saved' on half baked consumer ventures, They killed their commercial photofinishing (Kodalux) business deliberately (snapfish anyone) because they had a succession of incompetent CEO's who instead of producing REAL products wanted to turn Kodak into a IP Licensing firm because Kodak invented digital photography and had the majority of patents related to digital imaging and C-print chemistry. Digital X-rays became a thing because Kodak dropped support for X-ray products, They would have been a thing anyway but Kodak forced the industry to put the hammer down on developing alternatives.

Notice Fuji and Ilford are STILL around selling the same products which Kodak refused to produce.

Hmm becoming an IP licensing firm while screwing your most loyal customers does that strategy sound familiar....

IMFearless

Hopefully it is just rumour at this stage.

I can't see why people would want to go to the lengths of smuggling alcohol into Magic Kingdom - surely if you want to drink, there are far better places to do it than there? Find a pool or a hammock.

MK is just not the place for it. Do people take their kids to the park with bottles of whiskey? I would be somewhat unhappy if there were adults drinking (with or without kids) in my local park. Yes, I realise it's a theme park but essentially the Magic Kingdom is aimed at children or those with children.

I agree that there are a lot of adults who behave very badly in any case, entitlement is already a big problem, I think alcohol will not make the situation better.

cdeev8690

As my momma told me, "Everything in moderation". The folks who can't control themselves will be asked to leave, as I've seen multiple times in Epcot. I bought a beer at DHS kiosk once. Universal sells beer around the park as well. If you're an adult and know your limits, it's a cool perk. If I ever felt the desire to have a beer in MK (I probably wouldn't), it's nice to have the option there.
Someone joked about "craft brew" and I actually thought that was a good idea :D I hate spending an arm and a leg for a budweiser or a blue moon, some cruddy beer I could get any dive bar in any city in America. If I'm going to buy a beer, I'd rather it craft and local. Baseball stadiums tend to serve local craft breweries on tap. It's a cool way to incorporate the local small businesses. Couldn't picture Disney doing this in the parks though maybe more of a Disney Springs scenario.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As my momma told me, "Everything in moderation". The folks who can't control themselves will be asked to leave, as I've seen multiple times in Epcot. I bought a beer at DHS kiosk once. Universal sells beer around the park as well. If you're an adult and know your limits, it's a cool perk. If I ever felt the desire to have a beer in MK (I probably wouldn't), it's nice to have the option there.
Someone joked about "craft brew" and I actually thought that was a good idea :D I hate spending an arm and a leg for a budweiser or a blue moon, some cruddy beer I could get any dive bar in any city in America. If I'm going to buy a beer, I'd rather it craft and local. Baseball stadiums tend to serve local craft breweries on tap. It's a cool way to incorporate the local small businesses. Couldn't picture Disney doing this in the parks though maybe more of a Disney Springs scenario.

IF Disney ACTUALLY EJECTED the loutish inebriated patrons who are making a scene in public during F&W the place NEVER would have gotten the 'Drunkytown' tag,

I'm pretty sure that the thinking goes along these lines that they don't want that drunk to drive after they boot him from the park which would be a legal and PR nightmare for WDW so the drunks are left for the other guests to deal with. And they don't want to involve the OCSD for a public intoxication arrest because then the question would be how did the person get to an overserved state as the premises are completely under WDW control.

As I've said before if they want to serve they need to tie serving to a MB with a Picture or a ID scan and limit the number of drinks per hour. Yes that penalizes those who drink responsibly but with dozens of bars in the space it's the only way as a single bartender has no way of telling how much alcohol the patron has consumed before being served by any particular server.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
I think many people are losing the concept here; it is not to have free flowing booze throughout the Magic Kingdom. From what I was told that it will only be at seat down restaurants and only wine and beer. I would love to join my wife once in a while for a drink with diner when we go out, but I am always driving. When I am on vacation at Walt Disney World I have Disney buses to take me back to my resort, so it would be nice to have a drink with diner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom