More people calling it "Epcot Center" ?

Spyne

I'm not too surprised people would still be calling it EPCOT Center, especially after the 25th Anniversary. Also noting the original logo is returning to the park, the wand is gone and it's starting to resemble the EPCOT Center from 1982.

I still call it Epcot, but I'm happy some of the "EPCOT Center" era is returning to the park. :)

The Empress Lilly

I don't know about any increase in the use of 'EPCOT Center'. Sounds possible. For some, that is simply the name they grew up with. As they grow older, and as time progreses, this will diminish.

As a statement, referring to it as 'EPCOT Center' instead of Epcot could well be on the rise. Thank (or blame) the internet and Disney fan groups for that.

Personally, it will always remain 'EPCOT Center' to me. But in everyday usage, I simply say 'Epcot'.

Enderikari

oh, I've long since given up trying to fight the proper nomenclature fight. I don't even try to correct people anymore. You wanna call "Seven Seas Lagoon" "Bay Lake?" Go ahead. Wanna call the Magic Kingdom, "Disney World?" None of my business. Wanna call Test Track "Fast Track?" Be my guest. Wanna call Epcot "EPCOT Center?" Absolutely.

I just know better than to carry on a WDW based conversation with people who use improper nomenclature.

EPCOT Explorer

Oh, come on! Have you read Douglas Adams book Mostly Harmless? Really he is Mostly Harmless. It just takes several grains of salt (and some tequila)

:lol::lol::lol:

and hundreds of thousands of people call it Cinderella's Castle, too. Doesn't make them right
*screams with laughter*

EPCOT.nut...That was hysterical.Speak of the devil and he shall appear.LOL!

Just kidden':)

It lost most of its Animals the first year. What's nice is that Animals are replaceable. :lol:

*ducks*
:ROFLOL:

HEY! Any of you familiar with Monty Python's Flying Circus? Remember when someone mentioned the Spanish Inquisition and then all of a sudden they popped into the room and said " No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
It happened in all kinds of skits.

Reminds me of you, Enderikari! :lol::lol:
:ROFLOL:

SDav10495

oh, I've long since given up trying to fight the proper nomenclature fight. I don't even try to correct people anymore. You wanna call "Seven Seas Lagoon" "Bay Lake?" Go ahead. Wanna call the Magic Kingdom, "Disney World?" None of my business. Wanna call Test Track "Fast Track?" Be my guest. Wanna call Epcot "EPCOT Center?" Absolutely.

I just know better than to carry on a WDW based conversation with people who use improper nomenclature.

Eh, not that I'm an extremist about calling Epcot "EPCOT Center" (I do both and don't much care either way), but those aren't really apt analogies. In every example you listed, the pairing is totally wrong--Bay Lake is not the Seven Seas Lagoon, the Magic Kingdom was never ALL of Disney World, Fast Track is just not the correct name for Test Track.

In contrast, the park we know as Epcot today was called EPCOT Center in the past, and it's essentially the same park (yes, I know that many, myself included, like to debate how much has changed from EPCOT Center to Epcot, but by and large we are still talking about the same buildings on the same plot of land). So there should really be no fundamental problem with people referring to Epcot as EPCOT Center the way there would be in all of the examples you gave.

Enderikari

HEY! Any of you familiar with Monty Python's Flying Circus? Remember when someone mentioned the Spanish Inquisition and then all of a sudden they popped into the room and said " No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
It happened in all kinds of skits.

Reminds me of you, Enderikari! :lol::lol:

In honor of this, I finally changed my avatar away from a wistful Roy Disney.

And, in response to the previous statement, nobody calls New York "New Amsterdam," or Istanbul "Constatinople" (well, maybe They Might Be Giants).
Times change, words and phrases fall out of communication. However, the trick to communication is to get the information across to a message receiver. If somebody tells me about a new attraction at EPCOT Center, I know what they mean. I don't jump in like a jack-hole and correct them on the spot. I understand that they really mean Epcot, but that still doesn't make it correct nomenclature by the Disney Standard. Its like Tinker Bell vs. Tinkerbell. Written out, the only correct way is supposed to be the former, but nobody cares if the words are connected.

Mr.EPCOT

Its like Tinker Bell vs. Tinkerbell. Written out, the only correct way is supposed to be the former, but nobody cares if the words are connected.

I've never been able to figure out which was technically correct because I've seen Disney spell it both ways, I think typically leaning towards the one-word version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom