More people calling it "Epcot Center" ?

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
Even though numerous signs, and other advertisements clearly label the park "Epcot"...it seems that since the wand came down...more people *no not thousands and thousands*, but still...more people seem to be calling the place "Epcot Center". :shrug:

I even see this when I go, that a monorail and/or bus driver may refer to the place as EPCOT Center, even a tourist, particularly foreigners refer to it as EPCOT Center, but ever sense that wand came down, I'm finding more photos, videos, blogs, etc using the name "Epcot Center" rather than "Epcot".

Anyone else notice this? Particularly any Epcot CM's noticing this? :confused:

EPCOT Explorer

Oh,yeah...All the time I hear people say that.My parents for one use it,I use it.Even when mentioned in the media it's still referred to EPCOT Center.The signs on I-4 still say EPCOT Center.
Yet another reason to re-name the park.

primetime52

I've always noticed that alot of people still call it "Epcot Center," but I haven't really noticed much of an increase since the wand came down. Maybe if I pay more attention I will come to notice that correlation.

I'm sure that once MGM officially changes to DHS, some people will still be calling it MGM even a decade from now.

Captain Hank

Eh, a lot of people never stopped calling it "Epcot Center." For example, it's a tradition in the Biology department of my school that when a student goes on an internship, they get a small plaque put up on the "wall of fame" in one of the hallways of the science building. Just two weeks ago, I got an e-mail from the department secretary, asking what phrasing I wanted on my plaque, and she supplied the following example: "Name, Plant Science Intern, The Land, Walt Disney World, Epcot Center, FL."

EPCOT.nut

I mostly hear EPCOT (or Epcot :lol:) - just like MGM not MGM Studios. Just to shorten it up a bit. Even if they change the name back to EPCOT Center I'll still call it EPCOT.

Does that make me lazy? An economy of words I guess. EPCOT Center really doesn't suit the park like it used to! But if I saw the name changed to that I would be very :sohappy:

EPCOT Explorer

I mostly hear EPCOT (or Epcot :lol:) - just like MGM not MGM Studios. Just to shorten it up a bit. Even if they change the name back to EPCOT Center I'll still call it EPCOT.

Does that make me lazy? An economy of words I guess. EPCOT Center really doesn't suit the park like it used to! But if I saw the name changed to that I would be very :sohappy:

From me right?LOL

Yeah,I would love to see Epcot renamed*looks around worriedly for Enderikari*
:lol:

You dont call your daughter "Jennifer Smith" when you talk to her, you call her Jennifer. So i think of Center as Epcot's last name. Kind of like Madonna, or Sting....EPCOT just fits better on souveniers too.

SirNim

I mentioned "Epcot" once in a college class last year and all the students replied, quizzically, "You mean EPCOT Center?"

ImaYoyo

Call me crazy, but I call it Epcot. It's not the center of property anymore. And if the Magic Kingdom every loses it's magic, to me it will just be "Kingdom". Now the problem with that is what if Animal Kingdom then loses it's animals? Then I'm screwed.

EPCOT.nut

From me right?LOL

Oh, come on! Have you read Douglas Adams book Mostly Harmless? Really he is Mostly Harmless. It just takes several grains of salt (and some tequila)

:lol::lol::lol:

EPCOT.nut

Call me crazy, but I call it Epcot. It's not the center of property anymore. And if the Magic Kingdom every loses it's magic, to me it will just be "Kingdom". Now the problem with that is what if Animal Kingdom then loses it's animals? Then I'm screwed.

It lost most of its Animals the first year. What's nice is that Animals are replaceable. :lol:

*ducks*

EPCOT.nut

From me right?LOL

and hundreds of thousands of people call it Cinderella's Castle, too. Doesn't make them right

HEY! Any of you familiar with Monty Python's Flying Circus? Remember when someone mentioned the Spanish Inquisition and then all of a sudden they popped into the room and said " No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
It happened in all kinds of skits.

Reminds me of you, Enderikari! :lol::lol:

brucie

Im 27 and I call it Epcot Center. Although I do call it Epcot as a short form, Like MGM, but in my head im saying Center!:shrug:

primetime52

To add to this discussion, have any of you ever noticed that alot of 40 year olds and up refer to the Magic Kingdom incorrectly as "Disney" or "Disney World," while using the proper names for the other 3 parks? For example, they might say "we started our day at Disney and then headed over to Epcot at around 5." Hopefully I'm not the only person who knows people that say stuff like this! It drives me crazy when people say things so incorrectly.

I think alot of middle-agers do this because they have been going to MK since it first opened, when it was the only park on property. I can imagine that when only one park existed, people got into the habit of referring to MK as "Disney World" since there weren't any other parks to distinguish it from.

CThaddeus

It will always be EPCOT Center to me, no matter what lame marketing decisions are made. But then, I've never been a fan of people using acronyms for attractions that aren't that way to begin with, either (POTC, MILF, TT, TOT, HM, etc.). I know it's done on this site to save typing time, but I think it often just leads to confusion. I'm guilty of doing it myself from time to time, but I try not to whenever possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom