More Fantasyland dark rides

tl77

The ride I was describing could cover all of these, without a separate one in each land.
Disneyland has several of those small dark rides in their Fantsayland, I just think since Magic Kingdom should have just as many, but since MK is so large each land could have a themed dark ride... going to MK with little kids, those kind of rides are great but the lines are so long with just Peter Pan and Pooh

yensidtlaw1969

I've always thought of this more for Disneyland than for the Magic Kingdom, but I've always wanted to see a new Cinderella Fantasyland Dark Ride. A sparkling Fiber Optic "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo" sequence where your Pumpkin ride vehicle transforms into a glittering Carriage, a Pepper's Ghost Dress Transformation, riding to the Castle and seeing Cinderella dance with the Prince, rushing back home at Midnight before the Carriage becomes a Pumpkin again . . . not to mention all the beautiful Mary Blair-painted backgrounds in the movie that are just BEGGING to be done in Blacklight!

cinderella dark ride vehicle concept art - disneyland 2.jpg

cinderella dark ride model mockup 3 2.jpg

BubbaisSleep

Building 2-3 dark rides with a smaller budget would do wonders for MK's Fantasyland.
I know Disneyland got lucky with regulations due to their buildings being built so long ago, but Universal proved with Secret Lives of Pets that having a small footprint for a dark ride can still work. FL dark rides are meant to have a smaller budget as well & shouldn't be massively overbudgeted like The Little Mermaid's queue line.

Perhaps use one of the princesses to replace Fairytale Hall & save two rides for Fantasyland Forrest. I would replace Fairytale Hall with the first Cinderella ride. For the forest, Tangled came to mind but there's already the restrooms. Therefore, my next two would be to move the P&F ride here along with a Hercules ride (would be cool to stumble upon Greek ruins in the forest). Aladdin & Lion King would be my obvious choices for dark rides but I feel they both would compliment Adventureland or even the later for AK.

Animaniac93-98

I've always thought of this more for Disneyland than for the Magic Kingdom, but I've always wanted to see a new Cinderella Fantasyland Dark Ride. A sparkling Fiber Optic "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo" sequence where your Pumpkin ride vehicle transforms into a glittering Carriage, a Pepper's Ghost Dress Transformation, riding to the Castle and seeing Cinderella dance with the Prince, rushing back home at Midnight before the Carriage becomes a Pumpkin again . . . not to mention all the beautiful Mary Blair-painted backgrounds in the movie that are just BEGGING to be done in Blacklight!

View attachment 572265

View attachment 572264

On the first episode of the Disneyland TV series Walt said Fantasyland would be where guests could "fly with Peter Pan to Neverland, wonder with Alice through Wonderland, ride Cinderella's pumpkin coach..."

2 of those things became true. One only for those willing to pay a hefty fee to rent her ride.

N2dru

I totally agree that the PFH's space could be better utilized as a dark ride. I've said before a Sleeping Beauty attraction ending with the battle of Maleficent and the Prince would be great. Cinderella would be another great fit. Remodel the entrance to look like her Chateau, which would look nice with the castle nearby. And not sure if the MK would go the DL route and build a dark ride on top of another. Placing Alice in Wonderland around and over Pooh. Have the entrance where the Merida M&G is/was and Cheshire Cafe are. Also can the area behind the restrooms in the BatB area be built out or is it a firework fallout area? A BatB ride would be perfect fit in that area. Just a few of my thoughts.

Suspirian

View attachment 572265

View attachment 572264
That blacklight set is gorgeous did you make this?

WaltWiz1901

This is a question I've got more than quite a couple answers to. Sticking to the American parks for now, here's a few of my nominations...

Magic Kingdom​

• Seconded (thirded? fourthed?) that Sleeping Beauty would make for a great dark ride; a classic style busbar in the former Snow White space could work
  • A Pinocchio ride - not the Pinocchio ride, but a bigger one like what the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is relative to Scary Adventures - would've been right at home in Storybook Circus. In my mind, it would be a boat/flume ride based on the last leg of the film (Pleasure Island and Pinocchio venturing out to sea to save Geppetto from Monstro)
  • Frozen - a North Mountain powered coaster would give Fantasyland a bonafide E-ticket, something that New Fantasyland sorely lacks; insane how Frozen was quickly shoehorned into EPCOT's Norway instead of being part of a later phase of NFL
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - not in Fantasyland, but near it in Liberty Square

Disneyland​

• The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - while Disneyland already has this ride, their version is hidden away in Critter Country and considered by many to be the weakest of the three incarnations of the Pooh dark ride. A moved and improved version more in keeping with its Fantasyland-style brethren would fit pretty well in the Fantasyland Theatre space...
  • ...as would Cinderella (that blacklight set model is stunning, BTW), forming another small dark ride cluster - Pan/Snow/Pinocchio/Alice/Toad already form a village cluster, while Pooh/Cinderella would form a forest cluster
  • If Galaxy's Edge wasn't cloned, my pick for the space would be a new New Fantasyland expansion, headlined by a ride based on a more modern film - Tangled or Brave would be my top picks

Last edited:

aladdin2007

I know this is fantasyland discussion, but I wonder if they would ever revisit the Brave dark ride they contemplated for UK at Epcot or the LionKing dark ride for AK.....we need more dark rides, but todays generation and Disney seems to not be for those anymore sadly, Im not even sure they have the artistic skill. Everything has to be super high tech unfortunately. Its really a shame Tony Baxter's Jolly Holiday was never brought to life.,,,Monsters inc hideandseek wouldn't hurt at DHS either, that park needs a traditional dark ride.

Robbiem

I know this is fantasyland discussion, but I wonder if they would ever revisit the Brave dark ride they contemplated for UK at Epcot or the LionKing dark ride for AK.....we need more dark rides, but todays generation and Disney seems to not be for those anymore sadly, Im not even sure they have the artistic skill. Everything has to be super high tech unfortunately. Its really a shame Tony Baxter's Jolly Holiday was never brought to life.,,,Monsters inc hideandseek wouldn't hurt at DHS either, that park needs a traditional dark ride.
I think Disney can still do big dark rides but they only build them in Asia. Stateside everything big budget is mainly thrill rides. Its such a shame that something like the sinbad ride in TDS or Hong Kong’s mystic manor hasn’t been built in the US or Paris parks. By only building flat rides or thrill ones you loose a big part of your audience who really like slower rides

aladdin2007

Thank you! I did, it's a little paper mockup I did back in 2021.

It's teeny, probably about as big as it looks if you're reading this thread on a laptop.
I really felt like I was in a classic dark ride when looking at it,,,made me yearn for toad bad...though Im sure Disneylands Alice ride etc evokes that look.

Fox&Hound

Tangled needs a dark ride asap.

I always thought a choose you own adventure style ride would be cool where you go down a track and then either based on which button you push or randomized by the ride itself you would go into a different door. Each door themed to a different disney movie. With like 5 or 6 different locations where you get to choose. I dunno…

LittleMerman

I've always thought it would be really cool if they made dark rides for Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty based on the original New Fantasyland M&Gs. Cinderella's main scene could be watching her dress change and Sleeping Beauty's could be celebrating her 16th birthday.

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Toad wouldn't work today because a. Nobody knows who he is, and b. You go to hell at the end (IDK why Disneyland still has theirs, maybe because it appears friendly and the devil points to redemption??)

Brer Panther

I think the Tomorrowland Speedway would be a good spot for an "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" dark ride... y'know, since it's near the Mad Tea Party.

Heck, maybe you could fit TWO dark rides there. How much land does the Speedway sit on?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom