News More EV charging stations are coming to Disney Springs - September 2022

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
So if I just plugged it in, didn't pay and just walked away, no one would be the wiser?
Not unless they looked at the screen on the charger and it didn't show up as charging. Or if the car's charge light wasn't flashing.

Other EV owners would be furious, your car and its plate would likely be shared on social media in anti ICEing/EVhole groups, and in Florida, you can get a $250 ticket for parking in an EV charging spot without charging.

bhg469

Not unless they looked at the screen on the charger and it didn't show up as charging. Or if the car's charge light wasn't flashing.

Other EV owners would be furious, your car and its plate would likely be shared on social media in anti ICEing/EVhole groups, and in Florida, you can get a $250 ticket for parking in an EV charging spot without charging.
Early days of ev chargers I was trying to design a 3d printed gas cap that would fit a charging plug. Just for parking.

mkt

Premium Member
Early days of ev chargers I was trying to design a 3d printed gas cap that would fit a charging plug. Just for parking.
They exist!

Right now the best thing is that Disney's chargepoint chargers won't release until payment is approved. Unfortunately the non-chargepoint L2 chargers at Disney springs aren't those.

TransportationGuy

I think over time l, we’ll see something like the UseMyPark system that has popped up at all of Orlando’s outlet malls to provide “premium parking.” The system has a gate that you have to lower in the app to get into the spot to start with. There’s no reason that technology can’t sync with the charging station to then bill you for your car sitting there when not actively charging. The fees associated with the car not charging would then force the guest to move the car or rack up a hefty bill, which in turn could then fund additional infrastructure.

bhg469

I think over time l, we’ll see something like the UseMyPark system that has popped up at all of Orlando’s outlet malls to provide “premium parking.” The system has a gate that you have to lower in the app to get into the spot to start with. There’s no reason that technology can’t sync with the charging station to then bill you for your car sitting there when not actively charging. The fees associated with the car not charging would then force the guest to move the car or rack up a hefty bill, which in turn could then fund additional infrastructure.
This is ultimately what Disney will have to do eventually if they continue to make the spaces in such a premium spot and having so few of them to use.

mkt

Premium Member
Exactly this. You can’t remove the charger handle without paying first to “pretend” you’re charging. Still doesn’t stop vehicles from being in the stall hours after they were done charging but this is resolved by simply having more chargers 😁.
It depends on the charging station. Almost all L2 Chargepoint stations are this way, but other supplier's stations are not.

Purduevian

This thread is making me think of all the "stories" of drugs in Halloween Candy on the news, with no credible reports.

Is there any documented cases of people abusing the EV parking spots at WDW? Or are we just assuming the worst of people to try to argue against EVs?

mkt

Premium Member
If I didn't have to work in very remote areas of Florida I would be seriously considering a lightning. Maybe someday
Wait for the second gen lightning or the GM competitors. They're all being designed from the ground up as EVs, rather than half-assing it with an ICE to EV conversion like the current F150 lightning is, which would improve its range, charging speed, and usability.

Last edited:

mkt

Premium Member
This thread is making me think of all the "stories" of drugs in Halloween Candy on the news, with no credible reports.

Is there any documented cases of people abusing the EV parking spots at WDW? Or are we just assuming the worst of people to try to argue against EVs?
I've personally witnessed several EVs parked and not plugged at Disney, or plugged and not charging. But they're the exception, rather than the rule.

The most regular offender though has been a Blue Tesla Model 3 that I've seen parked and not plugged at Epcot on about 5 occasions.

Also, outside of WDW, Teslas are the biggest offenders of being parked and not plugged, or plugged and not charging.

JoeCamel

I've personally witnessed several EVs parked and not plugged at Disney, or plugged and not charging. But they're the exception, rather than the rule.

The most regular offender though has been a Blue Tesla Model 3 that I've seen parked and not plugged at Epcot on about 5 occasions.

Also, outside of WDW, Teslas are the biggest offenders of being parked and not plugged, or plugged and not charging.
Maybe they are rentals and they don't know the etiquette?

mkt

Premium Member
Maybe they are rentals and they don't know the etiquette?
Nope. I can spot a rental car pretty easily due to the extra barcodes or 'PM' on the license plate (if registered in Florida),

Also, EVs are a relatively new occurrence in US rental car fleets.

mkt

Premium Member
Many years ago there was a real push to eliminate the rental tells, you probably know the reason why
I remember. Rental cars in Florida used to have fleet plates, which made them targets for theft, burglary, carjacking, etc.

Then they got normal FL plates with Sunshine State instead of a county - but it was still easy to tell, since only two counties in Florida regularly issue Sunshine State plates, and also the plates would always expire in June.

Since last year, they made one change: The metal plate is still the same as any other plate, but the expiration date is now a PM decal.

Oh, and the obvious fleet barcodes on most pieces of glass on the car.

fotofx

Many years ago there was a real push to eliminate the rental tells, you probably know the reason why
Z Plates, at the time all Florida rental car plates started with Z. In Miami the German tourists were getting hit on a daily basis. The criminals believed the victims would not come back to the US to testify so they would get away with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom