News More EV charging stations are coming to Disney Springs - September 2022

Disstevefan1

Perhaps. Though they may as well have parked a Hummer there for their effort. I have been to Springs and have been to the level 2 chargers and have seen EVs parked but not plugged in.

The whole EV community needs to act against this sort of thing. Charging takes long enough and we shouldn't have to remind one another that there are others that need the energy. People don't park at gas pumps and go into a theme park for several hours, but it happens at the charging stations at Epcot. Charge up, and move your car, like every other fueling station concept. There are charing stations not parking spots.
We see this stuff happening now.
Can you imagine what it's going to be like when EV population grows over the very small fraction it is now?

We already know the infrastructure will NOT grow as fast as the EV population as the car manufacturers are going all in for EVs

Club Cooloholic

Perhaps. Though they may as well have parked a Hummer there for their effort. I have been to Springs and have been to the level 2 chargers and have seen EVs parked but not plugged in.

The whole EV community needs to act against this sort of thing. Charging takes long enough and we shouldn't have to remind one another that there are others that need the energy. People don't park at gas pumps and go into a theme park for several hours, but it happens at the charging stations at Epcot. Charge up, and move your car, like every other fueling station concept. There are charing stations not parking spots.
You do see people park at pumps, pump their gas and then walk into the store part of the gas station and be in there for 15 minutes ordering food or whatever instead of first moving to a parking spot, even when they know it's super busy ans they can see cars waiting or circling for an open pump. This is bad at Wawas sometimes.

bhg469

You do see people park at pumps, pump their gas and then walk into the store part of the gas station and be in there for 15 minutes ordering food or whatever instead of first moving to a parking spot, even when they know it's super busy ans they can see cars waiting or circling for an open pump. This is bad at Wawas sometimes.
You're correct but the EV scenario is definitely worse. We're talking hours if not a full day, just for the sole purpose of not wanting to give up premium parking.

Disstevefan1

I have been thinking about this.

I get to the park with my EV and I am super lucky to grab an open EV charging station right up front (where there once was a handicapped spot) and I plug in to charge as we hit more traffic as I expected, and my trip took longer than we expected, and I do need the change to have enough battery to get back home.

By the time I tap into the MK I notice I must return to my EV in 20 minutes to unplug and move it, as I am one of those good folks, not one of those (probably filthy APers) that would leave their EV parked there for the entire day.

Not enough time to do anything I hangout near the front of the park and send the rest of the family on their way. I get in line to purchase some very overpriced popcorn.

I get my popcorn and I realize I might as well start back now since the time it will take me to get back to my EV, it will be finished charging.

I get back into my EV (spilling my popcorn) and notice there is another EVer ready to take the space. Not sure how long they were there but by the look on their face, it looks like they were waiting for a while.

Brushing the spilled popcorn aside, I see I am at 95 percent, not too bad, I seemed to timed it almost right. I pull out and watch as the other EVer pulls in. I see the AP magnet.... "Figures" I say to myself.

I follow the roads in the parking lot, obeying the arrows and not driving the wrong way and before I know it, I have EXITED the MK parking lot! I make my way to the parking booth and luckily, I can prove I did indeed pay for parking and explain I am one of those good folks, not one of those (probably filthy APers) that would leave their EV parked there for the entire day.

Wow, the parking lot is packed now! I find a spot way in the back. I take a pic of my spot so I can remember where we are and I get over to my tram pick up spot.

I am checking my phone as I am waiting. Texts read, "rode pirates, small world, peter pan, heading to jungle cruise". Text me when you get back in and we will meet for lunch".

Moments later the fossil fueled tram pulls up to welcome guests to the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

bhg469

I suppose the answer is making them less of a premium parking spot. Or start towing ones not plugged in.
It would seem that way. The infrastructure needs to be moved but with some creative thinking I'm sure they can adapt battery arrays to be deployed in parts of the parking lots that make it less desirable to just take the space for convenience.

Wendy Pleakley

Charging stations are typically located in "premium" spots simply because it's more cost effective/feasible to connect them to the primary infrastructure, i.e. a shopping mall.

John park hopper

The new Denali Chevy EV pickup costs $107,000 don't think I 'll be buying ons anytime soon and if I did i couldn't afford to go to WDW. I'll keep my RAM pickup 2 buck/gal gas will be back

bhg469

Variable pricing. Many chargers allow for one free hour and then start charging, or charge more after the first hour or two, or whatever.
But the pricing won't matter if you just leave your car in the spot. I'm not sure how the pay system works but if I were to plug in and leaf it there am I automatically charged?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
The new Denali Chevy EV pickup costs $107,000 don't think I 'll be buying ons anytime soon and if I did i couldn't afford to go to WDW. I'll keep my RAM pickup 2 buck/gal gas will be back
But its Silverado twin starts at $45k, which is a bit less than the average new car purchase.

Also, it looks like GM started with the most expensive trim for this one, and the cheaper SLT, etc trims will arrive after.

bhg469

Charging stations are typically located in "premium" spots simply because it's more cost effective/feasible to connect them to the primary infrastructure, i.e. a shopping mall.
There is power all over though. A battery bank can be charged via the existing lighting systems that already exist in the lots.

bhg469

But its Silverado twin starts at $45k, which is a bit less than the average new car purchase.

Also, it looks like GM started with the most expensive trim for this one, and the cheaper SLT, etc trims will arrive after.
If I didn't have to work in very remote areas of Florida I would be seriously considering a lightning. Maybe someday

mkt

Premium Member
But the pricing won't matter if you just leave your car in the spot. I'm not sure how the pay system works but if I were to plug in and leaf it there am I automatically charged?
If it's like the chargers at studios, if you leave it there once the charge is complete, you get charged idle fees after a grace period.

Wendy Pleakley

Yes. I used a charger recently that clearly stated free for the first hour and then a charge for each additional hour. They can also charge higher and higher rates on a per hour basis.

There is power all over though. A battery bank can be charged via the existing lighting systems that already exist in the lots.

I guess it depends on the location but most chargers I've seen have been close to whatever building they're serving.

mkt

Premium Member
There absolutely is, but it's still cheaper for Disney to put it through to existing infrastructure than it capable of handling it.

An EV charger pulls a lot more amps than lighting.

bhg469

If it's like the chargers at studios, if you leave it there once the charge is complete, you get charged idle fees after a grace period.
But hypothetically what if I plug in the vehicle and walk away? Is it like a gas pump where you have to acknowledge the sale first? For example I go to the charging station, plug it into my car. Does it automatically begin a transaction or do I need to enter my credit card? Let's say a bad actor might pull up, plug in and not pay a dime for electricity and since they never started a transaction there would not be an overage. Does it not work like that?

mkt

Premium Member
But hypothetically what if I plug in the vehicle and walk away? Is it like a gas pump where you have to acknowledge the sale first? For example I go to the charging station, plug it into my car. Does it automatically begin a transaction or do I need to enter my credit card? Let's say a bad actor might pull up, plug in and not pay a dime for electricity and since they never started a transaction there would not be an overage. Does it not work like that?
It varies by the charging provider, but most require some form of payment, either via app (most common) or via card.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom