Monsters Cafe has permanently closed

tcool123

Original Poster
01D1A0D8-1411-41CE-8DAF-77AD6D114B61.jpeg

“After more than 20 years of serving dreadfully-delicious quick-service menu offerings, Monsters Cafe in Universal Studios Florida permanently closed in the spring of 2022 to make way for a new dining experience.”
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/tra...0220513-gu4c3ifoyjhgrfneprm54kye2y-story.html

A few things I can note as a non insider about this closer.
1) This move helps to consolidate the Universal Monsters brand allowing for the new land in Epic Universe to be the main representation.

2) With this closure I expect a new Minions Cafe to open given Minion Mayhem and the rumored new Minion attraction replacing Shrek. This would make for a solid Minions themed area albeit in a weirdly placed spot.

3) Personally I hope its turned into a Nintendo Cafe. Universal has access to the IP and waiting till 2025 to begin utilizing in Florida is a bit too long imo. Putting a Nintendo Cafe is way to leverage the IP and maybe even use franchises that are popular but not enough for a land like Kirby, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc. Would love for this to happen alongside a Nintendo Store in CityWalk to replace RonJon. Will this happen? I’m doubtful as Minions makes more sense.

JT3000

The Universal Monsters isn't a brand that needed consolidating IMO. Seeing as they are movies, they should have a presence in the Studios, and since Beetlejuice's closure, this has basically been their only dedicated representation, unless you count the Mummy remakes. I wouldn't be thrilled with a Minions-themed restaurant, nor do I think Nintendo belongs here. Whatever it is, hopefully it offers a quality dining experience.

tcool123

Original Poster
The Universal Monsters isn't a brand that needed consolidating IMO. Seeing as they are movies, they should have a presence in the Studios, and since Beetlejuice's closure, this has basically been their only dedicated representation, unless you count the Mummy remakes.
The Universal Monsters still has a presence as part of the Universal Horror Make-Up Show in Studios, the All Hallow's Eve store in Islands of Adventure, and seem to be mainstays at Horror Nights. This is of course not counting The Mummy Ride & Gift Shop. With that said I do agree whatever replaces it is hopefully good quality and food!

Animaniac93-98

Universal Japan, and Singapore at some point, both have areas called "Minion Park". It's where the 3D movie is along with another flat ride and some merch/food and beverage locations. It's actually well done for what it is. Better than Toy Story Playland.

It looks like UNI wants something similar for their Florida park, but without the attractive and humorous exteriors, which doesn't sound so good.

I will miss the Monsters Cafe.

celluloid

Shrek's replacement not as far along as planned or available would be a nightmare but Monsters Cafe itself can be stripped of most things and be a floor plan for maze number 10 for HHN. (the queue space would be a nightmare though, but they could still use Shrek's outdoor area across the way and have a rope crossing to feet into the house.

My favorite detail besides all of the neat things, was the operational choice to put the silver Coke Freestyle machines in there that gave a black and white look. A wonderful HHN breahter spot too. RIP.

JoeCamel

Universal Japan, and Singapore at some point, both have areas called "Minion Park". It's where the 3D movie is along with another flat ride and some merch/food and beverage locations. It's actually well done for what it is. Better than Toy Story Playland.

It looks like UNI wants something similar for their Florida park, but without the attractive and humorous exteriors, which doesn't sound so good.

I will miss the Monsters Cafe.
Maybe the minion's area will serve as the kids land while they redo kids land?

Comped

Would love for this to happen alongside a Nintendo Store in CityWalk to replace RonJon. Will this happen? I’m doubtful as Minions makes more sense.
Are there even any other Nintendo stores in the United States besides the one they have at Rockefeller Center?
The Universal Monsters still has a presence as part of the Universal Horror Make-Up Show in Studios, the All Hallow's Eve store in Islands of Adventure, and seem to be mainstays at Horror Nights. This is of course not counting The Mummy Ride & Gift Shop. With that said I do agree whatever replaces it is hopefully good quality and food!
There is a chance that this reopens at Epic, perhaps taking the Horror Make-Up Show with it.

macefamily

Nintendo is going to date me out. I have no idea about characters or games except for maybe Super Mario and Donkey Kong. I guess it is inevitable for all of us. :confused:

Jon81uk

Nintendo is going to date me out. I have no idea about characters or games except for maybe Super Mario and Donkey Kong. I guess it is inevitable for all of us. :confused:

Well the main rides are based on Mario, Donkey Kong and Yoshi

The main ride in Nintendo land is Mario kart, the first version of which is a 30 year old game.
There is also a Yoshi ride, that character first appeared in a 1995 game.
Then a Donkey Kong ride which looks to be taking a lot of inspiration from Donkey Kong Country from 1994.

None of these attractions should be unfamiliar to anyone under 50. No more dated than Little Mermaid or Beauty & the Beast.

Jon81uk

1990. Yoshi was in Super Mario World, not just Super Mario World 2.
Serves me right for quickly clicking the first links I found from Google! I did think Yoshi was older than that so 1990 does sound correct.
Just backs up the point that in general these Nintendo characters are just as (if not more) relevant as Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast which were both early 90s media too.

OG Runner

I do not understand closing Monster's Cafe now. If they decide to consolidate when Epic Universe opens, fine.
Why now? Also why consolidate to Epic Universe? Harry Potter is going to have a presence in all three parks.
Why can't the Monsters be in two?

Disstevefan1

View attachment 638627

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/tra...0220513-gu4c3ifoyjhgrfneprm54kye2y-story.html

A few things I can note as a non insider about this closer.
1) This move helps to consolidate the Universal Monsters brand allowing for the new land in Epic Universe to be the main representation.

2) With this closure I expect a new Minions Cafe to open given Minion Mayhem and the rumored new Minion attraction replacing Shrek. This would make for a solid Minions themed area albeit in a weirdly placed spot.

3) Personally I hope its turned into a Nintendo Cafe. Universal has access to the IP and waiting till 2025 to begin utilizing in Florida is a bit too long imo. Putting a Nintendo Cafe is way to leverage the IP and maybe even use franchises that are popular but not enough for a land like Kirby, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc. Would love for this to happen alongside a Nintendo Store in CityWalk to replace RonJon. Will this happen? I’m doubtful as Minions makes more sense.
Too bad, I liked that place. Well it had a good run and I am confident Universal will replace it with something great!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom