Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
They can, but does that happen often? I know that the bigger boats (like for Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge) are handicapped accessible, but I've never seen bigger boats for GF or Poly except during really rare occasions (Christmas & New Year, the day after the monorail crash, etc). Does anyone know if those bigger boats will now serve GF and Poly on EMH nights? If so, what will serve Fort Wilderness? Are there a lot of extra boats that simply aren't used?

I'm assuming that the bus service is referring to getting back from Epcot, while GF and Poly will still only have the boat from MK. I don't think GF and Poly will have both a bus and a boat. But then it has to be a bigger boat, or else people in wheelchairs or ECV's can't get back (without the especially annoying route via the ferry to TTC then walking all the way to GF).

It may not happen often, but I'm sure they'll be pressed into service now for that purpose. EMH nights aren't that often at MK where extra resources could not be utilized.

No, probably not, but it could theoretically be another possibility for those resorts, should the need arise..

I'm not crazy about this announcement, because as others have pointed out, the issues with the monorails have been some time in developing. And it does appear to be a shortsighted solution (if you can indeed call it that). But, they'll make other accommodations for all guests in the end.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
the original post says "Magic kingdom monorail", that doesnt necessarily mean the resort monorail line

Here is the article in full:

Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing, and from August 1 2011, the Magic Kingdom monorail will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing. This means that in both cases, the monorail will not be able to return guests back to their resorts after evening Extra Magic Hours. Guests will instead be transported by bus and boats where available. Morning Extra Magic Hour service has not been affected. All indications are that this is a permanent change.

Pioneer Hall

It may not happen often, but I'm sure they'll be pressed into service now for that purpose. EMH nights aren't that often at MK where extra resources could not be utilized.

No, probably not, but it could theoretically be another possibility for those resorts, should the need arise..

I'm not crazy about this announcement, because as others have pointed out, the issues with the monorails have been some time in developing. And it does appear to be a shortsighted solution (if you can indeed call it that). But, they'll make other accommodations for all guests in the end.

My assumption was that anyone in a wheelchair/ECV would have to wait at the gates of the MK overnight and then head back to the resort when the monorails start operating in the morning.

In all honesty folks, I'm not pleased with hearing this as well. However, we should know that Disney is going to find a way to get everyone back to their resorts. My guess is that they will provide buses during EMH only from the MK to the monorail resorts if this is happening. Even the Contemporary will have a bus probably since I don't imagine that they would make walking as the only option to the resort. The thing that surprises me, and I of course could be wrong about this, but I thought that all the boats stopped running as well when the park is open very late. Perhaps it is only when the EMH are very late (1-3am closing) but I seem to recall being ushered to the Monorail as the boat wasn't an option during my stay at the Polynesian last year.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
My assumption was that anyone in a wheelchair/ECV would have to wait at the gates of the MK overnight and then head back to the resort when the monorails start operating in the morning.

In all honesty folks, I'm not pleased with hearing this as well. However, we should know that Disney is going to find a way to get everyone back to their resorts. My guess is that they will provide buses during EMH only from the MK to the monorail resorts if this is happening. Even the Contemporary will have a bus probably since I don't imagine that they would make walking as the only option to the resort. The thing that surprises me, and I of course could be wrong about this, but I thought that all the boats stopped running as well when the park is open very late. Perhaps it is only when the EMH are very late (1-3am closing) but I seem to recall being ushered to the Monorail as the boat wasn't an option during my stay at the Polynesian last year.

We attended an EMH night at MK, and rode the ferry back to the Wilderness Lodge with no problems. But you're right, that was a 12-3 night due to it being Memorial Day Weekend.

I'm likewise not certain about the monorail resorts. Never stayed in one myself. :eek:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Ok, so it's not true. I would appreciate it if you could inform me of why it's not true, or what other option exists, instead of simply telling me I'm wrong. The boats that serve GF on a daily basis do not accommodate wheelchairs or ECV's. The monorail is out of this discussion. The only other option I can think of is walking from GF to the TTC (a 20-30 minute walk) and catching the ferry. What am I missing?

I would be happy to:

- Taxi
- Private vehicle to TTC then by ferry.
- Bus via Downtown Disney via a non monorail resort

BeanSz

I like the idea of running a monorail just to the monorail resorts - CR, Poly, GF and skip TTC. My experience is the boats are slow, small and an inconvenience when you have younger kids with you (especially strollers). The monorail is much easier to deal with and if I were paying for one of the monorail resorts, I would expect this service. Boats you have to break things down, and trying to get on the boat carrying kids, bags, strollers, etc. is not as much fun. We really liked staying at the CR so we could just walk and avoid even the monorail. Would be nice if they built some sort of path from MK to GF too so you could do something similar.

DonaldDoleWhip

I would be happy to:

- Taxi
- Private vehicle to TTC then by ferry.
- Bus via Downtown Disney via a non monorail resort
Thanks for the response. I guess there are options. But of those responses,

1) You can put a wheelchair or ECV in a taxi, but I'm pretty sure you can't stay seated in your wheelchair/ECV, which already makes this option inferior to the monorail/bus/larger boats.
2) People in wheelchairs or ECV's shouldn't be required to rent cars in order to access the Magic Kingdom when guests at any other Disney resort have adequate transportation provided.
3) This is the only solution of the three that uses all Disney transport. But anyone using a wheelchair or ECV and paying for the prime location of GF would be outraged if they had to do #3. It would probably be a 1.5-2 hour trip in place of what should be a 12-15 minute monorail ride.

So IMO, a direct bus or larger boat needs to be put in place. If the bus is happening, I guess that's acceptable, but we're not staying at a monorail resort anymore.

Samoht

If I stay at the Poly or Contemporary I pay a LOT of money for the amenities included in these resorts and one of the amenities is the monorail. I also pay to stay at an overpriced Disney resort because I want to use the EMH. So I expect that the monorail brings me to the MK and back during the EMH too, the same goes for EPCOT.
If these are "usual reactions" to some commentators here because TDO again cuts down services for the guests and still dares to raise prices for both the parks and the resorts, then I don't give a damn about, I AM very annoyed and I think everyone who pays for the monorail resorts should be too.

I agree 1000%. We pay alot, probably more than we can afford, to stay at the Polynesian partly so we can use the monorail and take advantage of EMH's. Folding up 2 strollers and finding room on a packed bus at the end of a long day is not always easy and avoiding it at Epcot and MK is a perk that should not be taken away IMO.

epcotfan

(Forgive me if this has been posted) But does anyone know what percentage of monorail hotel guests go to EMH? Especially in the summer. If the park closes at 11pm and EMH goes to say 2am...how many monorail guests are actually using the monorail during that time? If it is a small percentage I can see why shutting down early would make sense for maintenance, etc...

Admiral01

Premium Member
Basically, EMH is to reward people willing to spend more money to stay on property at a WDW resort hotel with extra hours in the park. Now, Disney is removing one of the main transportation methods for those WDW resort guests during the hours specifically designed for those guests.

So, in short, I see no reason to stay on property at one of the expensive monorail resorts when guests at those resorts will have to rent cars or deal with the very un-magical buses just to take advantage of the park hours that were specially designed for them.

No reason to fork over more money for the three Monorail resorts any more.

Disney has the opportunity here to make a case to their investors and managers to purchase new Mark VI Monorails for WDW. It does boil down to economics. The Monorail fleet has been overworked and under maintained, and is aging. It is still a fantastic transportation method for the resort, but it needs new investment. The Monorails were clearly really well designed, or they never would have lasted this long. I don't think the original 12's day has come...but I do think that Disney needs to invest in 4 or so new Monorails, to bring the fleet size up to 16, and increase the infrastructure at the Monorail shed to handle the trains. That way the rotating stock is 33% larger, you still only operate a maximim of 12 trains on the line at any given time, and long down times for the trains to be properly maintained as their ages increase won't be felt through the resort, and the Monorails could continue to serve during the long hours.

Just the thoughts of an engineer. It is funny how many organizations are making these same mistakes these days.

Pioneer Hall

(Forgive me if this has been posted) But does anyone know what percentage of monorail hotel guests go to EMH? Especially in the summer. If the park closes at 11pm and EMH goes to say 2am...how many monorail guests are actually using the monorail during that time? If it is a small percentage I can see why shutting down early would make sense for maintenance, etc...

No one here will, but Disney sure does...and something tells me it might be data that they took into account when they made a decision such as this.

SeaCastle

Disney used to offer perks like these, regardless of how many people took advantage of them. That's what made WDW a world class resort. This is just another "perk" that's being taken away, regardless of the reason.

Water taxis and ferries are usually my modus operandi, but what happens if they get overwhelmed? And it's not as if buses are as comfortable or as convenient as water taxis or monorails, and I think guests that are paying as much as they are for a deluxe monorail MK resort shouldn't be taking buses to a resort that is reasonably five minutes away via other modes of transportation. That just doesn't seem right. There's a reason that those resorts costs so much, it's because of amenities like that.

Travelguy31

monorail operation

As a business man, I understand this decision from a cost stand point, but is the benefit going to out weigh those who may choose to pass on a monorail resort for a moderate resort? I honestly see this as another "decline by degrees" and that is why I am choosing to spend my dollars at Disneyland this february instead of the World.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As a business man, I understand this decision from a cost stand point, but is the benefit going to out weigh those who may choose to pass on a monorail resort for a moderate resort? I honestly see this as another "decline by degrees" and that is why I am choosing to spend my dollars at Disneyland this february instead of the World.

That'll teach 'em.

Instead of me giving them my money in their right hand, I'll give it to them in their left hand.

THAT will teach them a lesson about my priorities.

edit : (Sorry...I know that sounds kinda harsh :eek::wave:)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
No one here will, but Disney sure does...and something tells me it might be data that they took into account when they made a decision such as this.

Winner winner chicken dinner. I doubt seriously Disney would have done this if they had information indicating this would impact a significant number of people and that they did not have sufficient capacity on other transportation modes.

COProgressFan

Winner winner chicken dinner. I doubt seriously Disney would have done this if they had information indicating this would impact a significant number of people and that they did not have sufficient capacity on other transportation modes.

But even if it does only affect a small number of guests (lets be conservative and say a few thousand), that small number of guests are the ones who shelled out BIG BUCKS to stay at a monorail resort, of which EMH is a heavily marketed perk of staying there as well as monorail access.

So the number of guests it affects is largely irrelevant because they paid for access.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom