Monorails Pink & Purple Removed from TTC

degunter

Original Poster
Does anyone know how and when Monorails Pink and Purple were removed from the TTC on Sunday/Monday? Any video or photos of the removal?

Has anyone heard how long repairs will take and when/if they will be returned to service?

Thanks!

janoimagine

Does anyone know how and when Monorails Pink and Purple were removed from the TTC on Sunday/Monday? Any video or photos of the removal?

Has anyone heard how long repairs will take and when/if they will be returned to service?

Thanks!

I thought I read in a thread they brought cranes in to remove them, but I could be wrong. No idea if anyone has pics. I thought this article was interresting from the sentinel, apparently the NTSB determined that the Pilot of the Purple Monorail tried to reverse his trains direction when he saw the pink monorail bearing down on him.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...y-monorail-ntsb-update-070809,0,3212363.story

EPCOT Explorer

I thought I read in a thread they brought cranes in to remove them, but I could be wrong. No idea if anyone has pics. I thought this article was interresting from the sentinel, apparently the NTSB determined that the Pilot of the Purple Monorail tried to reverse his trains direction when he saw the pink monorail bearing down on him.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...y-monorail-ntsb-update-070809,0,3212363.story

:( Makes it all the more sadder. That poor CM...

board57796

Most likely the work tractor towed the trains through the switches. However, in the back of my head I feel like Disney may have removed the damaged cars by crane, the area around the TTC was closed off for an hour and a half Sunday night/Monday morning, which seems pointless to me if it was to keep people from seeing the trains, because if they were towed they would have had to pass through the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian, with an incredibly loud diesel work tractor towing them and attracting just that much more attention. I do know, though, that the last 3 beams of Monorail Shop (farthest away from the area that Cast Members come in from) are tarped off with Purple and Pink behind them. No one is allowed behind the tarps unless the are in the investigation. Why 3 beams for 2 trains? I don't know. Perhaps the damaged Cabs are on one with the undamaged portions on the other two, or they plan to rebuild the two trains into one. I will make some calls tonight to try to find more.

Bluewaves

There are probably extra beams there so they can do a complete investigation and get the trains put back together, Could the trains have been moved under their own power? It didn't look like either chassis was damaged so the motors were probably still intact and each train had serviceable control cab so maybe thats how they moved.

board57796

I'm positive they wouldn't have tried to drive them. An air line could have been severed and the trains could have lost braking, the MAPO transmittor could have been destroyed, lots of things wrong with the trains that they wouldn't have driven them.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm positive they wouldn't have tried to drive them. An air line could have been severed and the trains could have lost braking, the MAPO transmittor could have been destroyed, lots of things wrong with the trains that they wouldn't have driven them.
Question: presumably the tow vehicles can tow/push from either end? If the ends that collided were damaged sufficiently that the tow vehicle couldn't attach, could it push from the other side? If it tows a train into the maintenance shed, can it get out to tow another?

board57796

Question: presumably the tow vehicles can tow/push from either end? If the ends that collided were damaged sufficiently that the tow vehicle couldn't attach, could it push from the other side? If it tows a train into the maintenance shed, can it get out to tow another?

Good question, that I hadn't thought about. Yes they can push or pull a train. On Purple, the undamaged cab 6 would have backed into shop first, meaning they would have had to push it in from the damaged end, cab 1. Pink would have been no issue because they would have pulled it by Cab 1, then backed it into shop Cab 6 first as always (and really, the only way its possible.) The beams in shop are only barely long enough to hold the train and be able to close the door, so leaving a tractor on the beam with it isn't an option, as I guarantee they want all the doors closed, aside from them being down a tractor.

Good question... :veryconfu

Bluewaves

But if you go and turn the thing on and you have air pressure and you want to get them out of there quietly and quickly then one by one you take them out on their own power, they slide past and the poly and the floridian no guests disturbed no one any wiser, if you lose air pressure you could just coast to a stop and then the tractor pulls you. It make sense anyhow they would have had to have been moved so the tractor could get to the undamaged end of purple anyhow.

If the sensor was down you just override it and drive them in, unless with the way they were entangled the tractor pulls them both forward and then pushes them all the way around the lagoon together or the other tractor grabs purple's undamaged nose once they get through the switch.

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah I know,it truely does. He tried going in reverse but couldn't get out of the way quick enough. Too bad they havn't put E-Stop buttons in the cabs that cut power to the whole line...if they don't have them already.

It's a great idea. Something they should consider installing in light of this.

It's a great idea. Something they should consider installing in light of this.

Especially since people have been killed at Disneyland trying to cross over the monorail track. Now, if they see idiot trying to climb over, they can cut power to the whole line so idiot won't be electricuted....or hit by the train.

PhotoDave219

They did it around 3AM in the dead of night, out of view of everyone and Security kept everyone away. --- Or so i was told by a good source.

cloudboy

Technical question - how are the monorail cars coupled together? How complicated would it have been for them to uncouple the end car on both monorails, tow the remainder back to the barn, and then crane the crushed cabs?

ACM 13

I can confirm that the the crushed cabs were not separated from the rest of the train. I saw Monorail Pink back in storage about an hour ago with a black tarp or fabric of some sort covering the damaged end. Very sad to see...

N234MM

I wish they had two Mark IV's around that they could dust off and put back into service. Don't they still have blue?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom