Monorail Trouble?

Slugger

Evidently they expect more breakdowns judging by this notice. Just kidding of course as I know these are done for every means of transport for safety. Just thought the breakdown then a training exercise so soon was a little fitting. As "slugger" reported yellow came back to work today.

Please be aware of a routine training exercise scheduled to take place on the Monorail Shop spur beam Monday, Aug. 12, 9-11:30 a.m. This training exercise will include Reedy Creek Fire Department and involves the use of Reedy Creek Fire Department emergency vehicles.
Anticipated impact:
  • The training exercise will occur along World Drive, between the Pluto Cast Member parking lot and the Monorail Shop and is scheduled from approximately 9-11:30 a.m.
  • Given the timing and location of the exercise, minimal Guest impact is anticipated.
  • There will be no impact to the roadway, but Reedy Creek Fire Department emergency vehicles will be present.
  • Reedy Creek Fire Department will provide training exercise roadway signage.
Interesting. They just did a training drill about two months ago. I wonder if there are new reedy creek cms or if they weren't able to get enough there last time.

Black Pearl

What happens when guests are stuck on the monorail for long periods of time like this from a customer service stand point? I've never experienced longer than maybe 30 minutes.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
What has always concerned me is what happens if the train stops mid rail and a fire were to break out? I don't think the fire department would not be able to get everyone out in time.

That happened once on the Mark IV monorail around 1983? People had to climb up on the roof outside, no one was injured, but i believe the Mark VII monorails have some other evac options built in

monorail81

That happened once on the Mark IV monorail around 1983? People had to climb up on the roof outside, no one was injured, but i believe the Mark VII monorails have some other evac options built in

Hopefully the VIIs have better safety features. Mark VIs only really have the hatches if you are in the middle of the open beam...If there is a large fire and people need to get out quickly before Reedy Creek can get there, the escape hatches in the cars and walking along the roof is the only way. The driver has a rope under their seat to assist in scooting down the windshield onto the beam to walk to safety...And do you think TDO provides enough training OR pay for the CMs to actually do that? Just sayin...

wogwog

Hopefully the VIIs have better safety features. Mark VIs only really have the hatches if you are in the middle of the open beam...If there is a large fire and people need to get out quickly before Reedy Creek can get there, the escape hatches in the cars and walking along the roof is the only way. The driver has a rope under their seat to assist in scooting down the windshield onto the beam to walk to safety...And do you think TDO provides enough training OR pay for the CMs to actually do that? Just sayin...

The boats are nice. Wonder how deep the water is?

PhotoDave219

Interesting. They just did a training drill about two months ago. I wonder if there are new reedy creek cms or if they weren't able to get enough there last time.

RCES employees are not Cast Members per say, they are employees of the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

bfox1183

There are other options for EVAC and RCFD had a special truck that is a big scissor lift that makes it far easier to remove large groups of people from the monorails. That truck was reaction to that 1983 incident due to the inaffectiveness of removing people with a ladder truck.

Scuttle

Also its events like these that make us all realize that a monorail expansion will never happen. I'm guilty of dreaming about an expansion to DHS, but it's not going to happen. The monorail system is 1 good fire, god forbid, from being terminated or at least having major renovations like adding an escape route to every part of the beams the entire way.

bfox1183

It doesn't matter if there new fire fighters or not, they train all the time to be aware of what they are doing if there were an actual emergency that come around. I would much rather a first responder who knew what they were doing then one who had no clue as to how to operate the equipment...

nace888

It seems that the monorails have been breaking down more here recently? o_O
Ever since 09, the trains have slowly gone downhill. The accident put them down to 10 trains for a few months, and up to 11 trains for 3 years. To have 10 trains running 3 lines for 3 years puts strain on the whole fleet. I say 10 trains, because at any given time there was a breakdown or a wrap going on.

WeekendGM

What happens when guests are stuck on the monorail for long periods of time like this from a customer service stand point? I've never experienced longer than maybe 30 minutes.

Free Fastpass, or whatever you can pry out of the Guest Relations CMs that show up. Sometimes free water is given if the train had no AC for example. They also usually exempt the guests for being late to reservations if it was an extended incident, even though the line is that if using Disney Transport you should be a hour and half early.

PhotoDave219

There are other options for EVAC and RCFD had a special truck that is a big scissor lift that makes it far easier to remove large groups of people from the monorails. That truck was reaction to that 1983 incident due to the inaffectiveness of removing people with a ladder truck.

I love how you refer to a Monorail burning up on the beam as an "Incident"....

Also, it was 1985, not 83.

monorailfire06-26-1985.jpg

bfox1183

Oh my god! What happened?? I hope no one was hurt. That looks just awful.
Monorail Silver caught fire due to a flat tire being dragged dragged down the beam. Here is a link to the Wikipedia article(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_IV_monorail).
I love how you refer to a Monorail burning up on the beam as an "Incident"....

Also, it was 1985, not 83.

I work for a sheriff's office, so I am used to referring to things as incidents, considering everything that happens can be blamed on something or someone. Accidents by nature can not be blamed on something.

openendedsky

I was actually riding this monorail earlier in the day from MK to Epcot on my way to work (just went to MK for a few hours before my shift started) and I was contemplating how bad it would suck to be stuck on the monorail and wind up getting a point on my record card for being late over something like that. Weird coincidence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom