Monorail Trouble?

Brian_WDW74

Here's a shot posted on Twitter by DCAlover of the monorail being towed through the Contemporary.

BRMMzuICQAA6G_0.jpg:large

WeekendGM

The reason for the extended time to tow the train was the tractor was unable to get onto the Epcot monorail beam due to a locked up track switch. Reedy Creek was on standby underneath just in-case the tractor was unable to get onto the beam. The train was stopped near the Epcot Center Overpass and due to this RC shutdown the exit from World Drive to Epcot.

Tom

Beta Return
The reason for the extended time to tow the train was the tractor was unable to get onto the Epcot monorail beam due to a locked up track switch. Reedy Creek was on standby underneath just in-case the tractor was unable to get onto the beam. The train was stopped near the Epcot Center Overpass and due to this RC shutdown the exit from World Drive to Epcot.

That seems like overkill...to close down a major road or intersection because a monorail stalled.

CDavid

I've often wondered..since the tractors are diesel, what do they do about exhaust when passing through the Contemporary?

I don't actually know, but the volume of air within the Contemporary is probably large enough they don't need to do anything for a tractor just passing through.

Big C 73

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've always heard of the reliability of the monorail over the years, but recently I don't know if I would like it as a transportation option or not. Twenty four years of countless hours of use, I think it's about time to cough up some cash a buy a new fleet.

wdwfan4ver

It seems that the monorails have been breaking down more here recently? o_O
It just didn't happen recently. I first saw problems with the Monorail in either 2008 or 2009 and that means the Monorail problems have been existing for 4 years at least. When I went in 2007, there was no problems with the Monorail.

I recalled that monorail at the Magic Kingdom had problems when I had an adr reservation at a Monorail hotel back in 2008 or 2009 There has been problems off and on since that year with the monorail. I haven't using the being monorail for getting to ADR's at Monorail hotels since that experience I had.

There problems with the monorail is caused 3 facts. The first is the age and the 2nd thing is there was a time that there was no maintenance done on the tracks or the Monorail. The third thing is Disney or TDO doesn't want to spend the cash on a new monorail fleet, but have no problems spending 2 or 3 billion on Nextgen.

Last edited:

DizFiz

I noticed the same thing over the past years with them breaking down and this was the first time I ever saw the towing vehicle. After seeing this happen again... Disney doesn't want to spend the money to renovate the track and cars yet they will continue spending way more fixing it overtime as it gets older and older... that is the TDO for you.

wogwog

Evidently they expect more breakdowns judging by this notice. Just kidding of course as I know these are done for every means of transport for safety. Just thought the breakdown then a training exercise so soon was a little fitting. As "slugger" reported yellow came back to work today.

Please be aware of a routine training exercise scheduled to take place on the Monorail Shop spur beam Monday, Aug. 12, 9-11:30 a.m. This training exercise will include Reedy Creek Fire Department and involves the use of Reedy Creek Fire Department emergency vehicles.
Anticipated impact:
  • The training exercise will occur along World Drive, between the Pluto Cast Member parking lot and the Monorail Shop and is scheduled from approximately 9-11:30 a.m.
  • Given the timing and location of the exercise, minimal Guest impact is anticipated.
  • There will be no impact to the roadway, but Reedy Creek Fire Department emergency vehicles will be present.
  • Reedy Creek Fire Department will provide training exercise roadway signage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom