Monorail to MGM

mocfan

Original Poster
While at Disney last week, we rode in the cab of the monorail going from MK to Epcot.

The operator said if "funding materializes" the monorail will be expanded from Epcot to MGM Studios. The next project will to link all the resorts with the monorail system.

When asked about Animal Kingdom, he said it was so far away from other parks it may never feature a monorail.

Just throwing it out there for what it's worth.

mocfan

Original Poster
Originally posted by Thrawn
Been brought up many, many, many times. Its just not feasible.

It won't happen.

I know this has been brought up before. I was just throwing it out becuase of what happened to me last week.
But I have to know. Why is it not feasible?

never say something won't happen.

Scar Junior

Originally posted by mocfan

I know this has been brought up before. I was just throwing it out becuase of what happened to me last week.
But I have to know. Why is it not feasible?

never say something won't happen.

Don't even try to ask about it. People on this board will be quite rude and just say "it won't be done. theres not enough money. you don't know what you're talking about". When I hear info from a CM, i just log it away and if anything ever materializes I am all "Ahhh, yeah. I knew that would happen"

AndyMagic

To say it isn't feasible is just ridiculous. It was feasible to extend the monorail to Epcot in 1982 and MGM is right next to Epcot so why wouldn't they extend it when there is enough money to do so? It may not be feasible to extend the monorail to all the resorts, but to the other main theme parks makes perfect sense. All I ever hear when I'm on a bus is people saying they wish a monorail could take them to their destination.

MrPromey

While at Disney last week, we rode in the cab of the monorail going from MK to Epcot.

The operator said if "funding materializes" the monorail will be expanded from Epcot to MGM Studios. The next project will to link all the resorts with the monorail system.

When asked about Animal Kingdom, he said it was so far away from other parks it may never feature a monorail.

Just throwing it out there for what it's worth.

For what it's worth, a monorail driver told me the same thing about ten years ago. :rolleyes: As for the " not feasible", check out:

For a VERY in depth discussion about WDW transportation and some comments by actual cast members that deal with transportation explaining exactly why it isn't feasible. The reasons are both financial and logistical. Turns out the monorials aren't as efficient of a transportation system for Disney's traffic patterns as everyone thinks.

http://FORUMS.WDWMAGIC.COM/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11160&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

At 32 pages, it is the longest single discussion that we have ever had in the News and Rumors section.

As for Scar Junior's comments, the reason people start to get short is that we have had this discussion dozens of times and everything has been explained more than once. As a matter of fact, in more than one discussion, people have continued to argue reasonless points even after it's been explained several times to them by people that know a lot more than them about this kind of thing, why it wouldn't work.

For someone like you who heard this for the first time, it may seem like news but it really isn't and it is something that usually comes up in some form or another almost every month. :)

mocfan

Original Poster
Re: Re: Monorail to MGM

Originally posted by MrPromey

For what it's worth, a monorail driver told me the same thing about ten years ago. :rolleyes: As for the " not feasible", check out:

For a VERY in depth discussion about WDW transportation and some comments by actual cast members that deal with transportation explaining exactly why it isn't feasible. The reasons are both financial and logistical. Turns out the monorials aren't as efficient of a transportation system for Disney's traffic patterns as everyone thinks.

http://FORUMS.WDWMAGIC.COM/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11160&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

At 32 pages, it is the longest single discussion that we have ever had in the News and Rumors section.

As for Scar Junior's comments, the reason people start to get short is that we have had this discussion dozens of times and everything has been explained more than once. As a matter of fact, in more than one discussion, people have continued to argue reasonless points even after it's been explained several times to them by people that know a lot more than them about this kind of thing, why it wouldn't work.

For someone like you who heard this for the first time, it may seem like news but it really isn't and it is something that usually comes up in some form or another almost every month. :)

It WASN'T the first time I've heard this. I just thought it would be something fun to add to the discussion. And stop insulting me by making me think I know nothing about what goes on here :p

wahooskipper

I think you will see "Light Rail" before you see expansion of the monorail. Someone driving a monorail has no knowledge of what may or may not be planned for expansion.

MrPromey

Re: Re: Re: Monorail to MGM

It WASN'T the first time I've heard this. I just thought it would be something fun to add to the discussion. And stop insulting me by making me think I know nothing about what goes on here :p

:rolleyes: My apologies! What was I thinking?! With your lengthy four months of being registered on the forums and your whopping average of about one post a day, I should have seen you as one of the senior members who follows this place with a keen eye. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

... One would think that someone who knows "about what goes on here" would already know the answer to the question: "But I have to know. Why is it not feasible?"

BTW, you are welcome for the answer! :p

mocfan

Original Poster
I was simply asking his opinion.

I have been visiting this site for about a year now and didn't register until July because my work place has software which prevented us from doing such things. I don't post unless I have something to say, but visit the site around 6 times a day.

DisneyKrazed

Yes. Tyler and many other CM have answered the possibility of a monorail expanision. It is just not economical when busses take you there just as fast if not faster. Oh well, I can always dream :animwink: and mabey one day they will make a line to AK and MGM.

PaisleyMF

Just Got in:

The Answer to the question is:

The ground around Disney World is most of It SWAMP!

So would be high budget to construct around the elevation post so the monorail will travel, the problem is that some of this elevations have gone further on the land and with all the weight around they will continue sink!!!
(thats what i have read couple of months ago) So the logistics and all the money will be gone to the "swamp".

Hope this might had help you.

And if I Am WRONG my appologies now!!!!

jmarc63

Originally posted by PaisleyMF
Just Got in:

So would be high budget to construct around the elevation post so the monorail will travel, the problem is that some of this elevations have gone further on the land and with all the weight around they will continue sink!!!
(thats what i have read couple of months ago) So the logistics and all the money will be gone to the "swamp".

This is ,mostly true, howerver If they wanted to spend the money the engineering is possible, just more costly since the extra considerations on the engineering need to be spent

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by PaisleyMF
Just Got in:

Light rail and other at grade systems require much better land than monorail does. Survey expenses are a large portion of light rail planning costs but monorail is much more flexible in terms of where you can build it. The pylons won't sink into the ground.

This advantage of monorail systems has been discussed at great length over at The Monorail Society. Go check it out if you are interested in explainations from engineer people.

prberk

Walt Disney World was never entirely about what is practical!

The monorail may not seem efficient on paper (and I still think that is arguable, depending on use), but there is a tremendous value to it as an asset to the resort. It is a vacation destination that was meant to awe and inspire, and the monorail is a huge part of that. The only proof you need of its intrisic value is the fact that Disney uses it as their navigation bar on their websites. It has no real "transportation" value there, but certainly shows that people love it and associate it with the fun and vision of Disney.

Yes, we have to keep things within a reasonable budget, but some budget items bring other benefits that increase value in indirect ways. And this is one of those things.

The monorail adds tremendous value to the resort (and thus to tourists coming) that has nothing to do with moving around and everything to do with the romance and fun of the vacation people seek at Walt Disney World.

And for me personally, I love staying at a monorail resort and knowing and riding OVER the traffic jams during busy times...

DisneyKrazed

There is some GIANT thread on monorails somewere on the boards. Search for it and ANY thing you could say to make a monorail expansion seam practical was shot down. This thread was huge.

space42

I really don't care how many times it has been talked about before. So what! This is a Disney discussion board. What better place to talk about monorails?

I am very glad that , at one point in time, Disney knew that it WAS feasible to connect the entire resort via monorail.
When building EPCOT center, not having the monorail wasn't even an option. In fact, you could even ride the monorail over to EPCOT before the park was open (it didn't stop at the station) to watch the progress of the new park as they finished construction.

Disney has a plan to connect all of the parks via monorail. This plan was almost greenlighted sometime in 1998 or '99. The plan was killed by Disney corporate as they thought it cost too much money and there was not enough return on their 'investment'.

So, I ask this... If some people on a Disney message board KNOW it is not feasible to expand the monorail line. Then Disney themselvs must know this also right? So why go through all of the trouble of planning a monorail line if it is not feasible?

DisneyKrazed

Originally posted by space42
I really don't care how many times it has been talked about before. So what! This is a Disney discussion board. What better place to talk about monorails?

I just said that because there is so much information in that one thread that you will land up knowing most if not all your questions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom