Monorail to be wrapped once again

NoChesterHester

I may be in the minority, but I really like the look of it. Although this may seem strange walking out of MK, it's sleek and smooth and looks really nice. Here we go ladies and gents, besides merchandise, this is the very first Marvel presence in Disney Parks. This is only the beginning.

It may not last long either if Uni presses the point.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Cant wait to see what comes of the forthcoming legal battle.

I would imagine nothing. The overlay would likely be down before this ever made it to trial then UNI has to prove that it was damaged by any breach of contract. With its increased crowds due to Potterville, it's going to be tough to prove they were damaged.

lazyboy97o

Cant wait to see what comes of the forthcoming legal battle.
I would imagine nothing. The overlay would likely be down before this ever made it to trial then UNI has to prove that it was damaged by any breach of contract. With its increased crowds due to Potterville, it's going to be tough to prove they were damaged.
The issue would not go to trial, the Marvel Agreement calls for the use of binding arbitration. Universal can go to the courts to get an injunction. I also doubt they would have to prove any damage. They have the exclusive theme parks rights to the characters being displayed and need to protect that exclusivity lest a precedent be set.

nace888

Well, I do and do not like the Avenger-rail... I like the design, especially the lightening and Iron Man's jet laser thing, whichever it is, lol, but it's... Off? I dunno.

I just like the lightening and laser thing, but the rest to me just doesn't float...

Here's a Youtube link for the Avenger-rail. I was surprised when there was a frame where the Avenger-rail was stopped outside the Contemporary as it was LEAVING, not coming in. I was like huh... Odd...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0bNuy9iICc

Just wait though, there were TRONorail toys, there will be Avenger-rail toys.

HM GhostHostess

I think I'm gonna puke :hurl:. It looks so tacky and it conspicuously appears as a sell-out move. The Avengers is not even a Walt Disney Pictures film!

Disney never fails to disappoint me these days.

Lee

Adventurer
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/companycredits

I don't know where you got your facts from.

He's pretty much right, though.
Disney didn't produce the film. It fell under Marvel's old agreement with Paramount. Disney is distributing the film, and actually had to pay to get their name on it along side Paramount's.

Check the poster in that link. What logo is missing?

Fact is, putting those characters on a monorail, especially if it were to run the Epcot route, would almost certainly violate the terms of the deal with Universal. Proving damages wouldn't necessarily be needed, merely that it took place. (example: if Disney put an Iron Man character on property to advertise the film, it would violate the deal. No need for Uni to prove anything.)

I can't imagine how it got this far. Is nobody at Disney paying attention at all.:hammer:

Pioneer Hall

Disney didn't produce the film. It fell under Marvel's old agreement with Paramount. Disney is distributing the film, and actually had to pay to get their name on it along side Paramount's.

Fact is, putting those characters on a monorail, especially if it were to run the Epcot route, would almost certainly violate the terms of the deal with Universal. Proving damages wouldn't necessarily be needed, merely that it took place. (example: if Disney put an Iron Man character on property to advertise the film, it would violate the deal. No need for Uni to prove anything.)

I can't imagine how it got this far. Is nobody at Disney paying attention at all.:hammer:

Is it possible that there is something in the agreement we don't know about or might have overlooked that allows this? Clearly, I have no idea, but it just seems odd that Disney legal would overlook something so major if that is indeed the case. That would be a whole lot of lawyers missing something that seems fairly obvious.

Lee

Adventurer
Is it possible that there is something in the agreement we don't know about or might have overlooked that allows this? Clearly, I have no idea, but it just seems odd that Disney legal would overlook something so major if that is indeed the case. That would be a whole lot of lawyers missing something that seems fairly obvious.

Not that I'm aware of.
There way be a little gray area, since Disney is distributing the film, but I feel fairly certain Uni is on some pretty solid footing.

IlikeDW

Like getting the Maintenance fee's for Aulani wrong? Seem's to happen more often that one would hope for.

Edit: I know Aulani was accountants not Lawyers but they are not really that different :)

Pioneer Hall

Not that I'm aware of.
There way be a little gray area, since Disney is distributing the film, but I feel fairly certain Uni is on some pretty solid footing.

Just asking...it would just seem crazy to me that they wouldn't have a complete understanding of what that contract does and does not say.

Like getting the Maintenance fee's for Aulani wrong? Seem's to happen more often that one would hope for.

Edit: I know Aulani was accountants not Lawyers but they are not really that different :)

There seems to be a lot more involved with that. Aulani didn't seem like a simple oversight.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

On one of the other message boards it was mentioned that they couldn't use the monorail on the Epcot beam due to the licensing agreement, but since it's "outside" of the theme parks its possibly ok?

Either way, I'm sure the lawyers are going to love this one.

Bolna

Just asking...it would just seem crazy to me that they wouldn't have a complete understanding of what that contract does and does not say.

Well, as someone else might have suggested it might actually be a deliberate attempt (fully knowing what the contract says) to get Universal to show how much they are prepared to fight for their rights.

As someone else said if Universal lets it go it might set a precedence which could later work against Universal. And if it is a calculated infringement, Disney had the advantage to prepare for the legal battle beforehand while Universal was taken by surprise (even though I am sure that their legal team has enough memos ready every since Disney bought Marvel about issues like that) and will have to act quickly. So it puts Disney into the better bargaining position.

The wrap of the monorail is not that expensive and can easily be removed, so Disney isn't risking much money on that. And they might be willing to risk the legal expenses this certainly will cause in order to get more clarity of what they can and can't do.

It might even be an attempt to get Universal to renegotiate the agreement by putting them under pressure if so far Universal has not been willing to even talk about renegotiating anything.

That's all pure speculation, but in my experience with the legal world, I would find that a rather plausible scenario.

The Empress Lilly

Wow, those pictures are dreadful.

Go Universal lawyers!
smiley_cheerleader.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom