Monorail Spiel Question

Skipper Dan

I despise the new voice of the Disney Transportation System...Ever since they redid it in 2005 it's rather annoying. No one knows who he is and he's everywhere your going....And I mean He's Everywhere!]

What's wrong with it? I like his voice and I find it very coherent. :shrug:

Cmdr_Crimson

What's wrong with it? I like his voice and I find it very coherent. :shrug:

The new voice sounds as if it was done by a computer..It's like there's no life to the voice and it never seemed magical to me. Also many times I was on the monorail it would cut off what he was saying. For example he mentions about a new ride at Epcot where you can experience a new thrill were now approaching the Contemporary resort...It's really bad..

Matthew Hansen the Prior voice at least made it comfortable and enjoyable to listen to..But if they ever did another Monorail spiel for the 40th anniversary for the resort I for one would go with Corey Burton.. Not only he's done the voice of Captiain Hook, General Knowledge in Cranium Command and the Narrator in the newer Goofy How To shorts..He's done the spiel for the transport trams at DL, And He does the spiel for the Monorail at Tokyo Disneyland...

Master Gracey 5

I couldn't tell on my last trip, but is the recording of "Please stand clear of the doors" in english and spanish still the same original recording or did that get redone too?

It's not a trip to WDW without hearing that a few times. :)

flyer31

Personally I like the voice and the announcements...I don't see anything wrong with them and I look forward to hearing them when I hop onto a Disney bus!!!

hpyhnt 1000

The new voice sounds as if it was done by a computer..It's like there's no life to the voice and it never seemed magical to me. Also many times I was on the monorail it would cut off what he was saying. For example he mentions about a new ride at Epcot where you can experience a new thrill were now approaching the Contemporary resort...It's really bad...

Meh, I like his voice. It may be a little bit monotone, but overall I think its an appropriate tone for giving information on the transportation system.

And as for the cut offs, the blame usually lies with the pilot in the cab as they are the ones who presses the play button on the speil. So, whenever you hear the wrong speil or the end is cut off abruptly, that would be the CM selecting the wrong audio track or waiting too long to start playing it.

luckyeye13

And as for the cut offs, the blame usually lies with the pilot in the cab as they are the ones who presses the play button on the speil. So, whenever you hear the wrong speil or the end is cut off abruptly, that would be the CM selecting the wrong audio track or waiting too long to start playing it.

Luckily, by the middle of 2007, all of the trains had their consoles redone and the spiels became automatic. The train uses the sensors on the beam to figure out what beam it is operating on and adjusts to the correct set of spiels. Then, it uses the sensors to play the spiel automatically. Now, the only problem is when a train overshoots a station, the next spiel might start if the appropriate sensor is tripped.

hpyhnt 1000

Luckily, by the middle of 2007, all of the trains had their consoles redone and the spiels became automatic. The train uses the sensors on the beam to figure out what beam it is operating on and adjusts to the correct set of spiels. Then, it uses the sensors to play the spiel automatically. Now, the only problem is when a train overshoots a station, the next spiel might start if the appropriate sensor is tripped.

Did they really? I've always wondered why they never had an automated system before, although I don't know if its solved any problems. There have been numerous times since 2007 where speils were cut off or even failed to start. You'd think an automatic system would have solved this, particularly the non-starts... :veryconfu

luckyeye13

Did they really? I've always wondered why they never had an automated system before, although I don't know if its solved any problems. There have been numerous times since 2007 where speils were cut off or even failed to start. You'd think an automatic system would have solved this, particularly the non-starts... :veryconfu

Yeah, the non-starts can be annoying. The spiel approaching the TTC on the Epcot beam (the one that talks about the various transportation options from the TTC ) usually fails to go off unless you hit the sensor at a reduced speed (something like 20-25 MPH, I think). This doesn't usually happen, though, as the speed limit in that area is 30 MPH and, even if there is a train ahead at the TTC, the pilot wouldn't start slowing down until after that curve (the one where the tracks on the Epcot beam split and the one towards the TTC turns left). Another common offender is the first spiel as the train enters Epcot, though it is not as bad as the TTC one and there doesn't seem to be a way to better the chances of it going off. In some cases, though, such as the area from shortly after leaving the MK to the Wedding Pavilion on Express, the spiel has simply been removed. Likewise, the one on Express when going through the Contemporary has been thinned down a lot, too.

Sometimes, the cut-offs were actually caused because the spiel was too long to play in the space allotted. There was one particularly long one coming back from Epcot that started right after leaving the station and continued all the way to the first billboard on World Drive and used to go on and on and on about the parks, Disney Vacation Club, and who knows what else (since we almost never heard the whole thing). In some cases, pilots would even try to make it to the next spiel trigger as quickly as possible (within the safety restrictions, of course) in order to cut off some of the spiels. (That long one and several of the other DVC ones were favorite targets for intentional cut-offs.) Also, the PSAs and the regular spiels cut each other off. If the final boarding call spiel is played, it will cut off the spiel that plays when the train is in the station. Likewise, if the MAPO test spiel is played out on the beam and the train goes over the next spiel trigger, it will cut the MAPO test spiel. (That is why I tended to wait until the MAPO test spiel was over before I moved in areas where I knew that would happen or I would play the holding spiel as soon as I knew that I would probably have to stop, in order to keep the regular spiel from interrupting it as I approached the holdpoint.)

WDW4eva

Joe Hursh was just on WaltCast this week and did a lot of cool voices during the interview. He also talked about how a lot of the spiels work. Ya'all should check it out. They're on iTunes

hpyhnt 1000

Yeah, the non-starts can be annoying. The spiel approaching the TTC on the Epcot beam (the one that talks about the various transportation options from the TTC ) usually fails to go off unless you hit the sensor at a reduced speed (something like 20-25 MPH, I think). This doesn't usually happen, though, as the speed limit in that area is 30 MPH and, even if there is a train ahead at the TTC, the pilot wouldn't start slowing down until after that curve (the one where the tracks on the Epcot beam split and the one towards the TTC turns left). Another common offender is the first spiel as the train enters Epcot, though it is not as bad as the TTC one and there doesn't seem to be a way to better the chances of it going off. In some cases, though, such as the area from shortly after leaving the MK to the Wedding Pavilion on Express, the spiel has simply been removed. Likewise, the one on Express when going through the Contemporary has been thinned down a lot, too.

Sometimes, the cut-offs were actually caused because the spiel was too long to play in the space allotted. There was one particularly long one coming back from Epcot that started right after leaving the station and continued all the way to the first billboard on World Drive and used to go on and on and on about the parks, Disney Vacation Club, and who knows what else (since we almost never heard the whole thing). In some cases, pilots would even try to make it to the next spiel trigger as quickly as possible (within the safety restrictions, of course) in order to cut off some of the spiels. (That long one and several of the other DVC ones were favorite targets for intentional cut-offs.) Also, the PSAs and the regular spiels cut each other off. If the final boarding call spiel is played, it will cut off the spiel that plays when the train is in the station. Likewise, if the MAPO test spiel is played out on the beam and the train goes over the next spiel trigger, it will cut the MAPO test spiel. (That is why I tended to wait until the MAPO test spiel was over before I moved in areas where I knew that would happen or I would play the holding spiel as soon as I knew that I would probably have to stop, in order to keep the regular spiel from interrupting it as I approached the holdpoint.)

I know I'm a bit late in responding, but some great info, here. Thanks! :wave:

I think I know the really long Epcot one. I'm fairly certain it was the Happiest Celebration on Earth spiel. It talked about the reason for the celebration, then about the new attractions in each of the parks, then upgrading your ticket, then about DVC, and finally Guest Relations at Epcot. It was indeed a VERY long spiel. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom