Monorail Resorts

captainkidd

We're currently booked at the Poly for next summer. My wife wants to stay at Contemporary, but I have no desire at all to stay there. I'd like to stay at the GF again, as I really feel for the money, it's the most Deluxe and you're getting what you pay for. I really like the Poly's atmosphere, large rooms, and convenience to both MK and Epcot, but we've stayed there twice and I'd like to mix it up a bit. I only stayed at the GF for 2 nights, so that's still a new one for me. I really feel, of the 3, that the GF is the only one you're simply not paying a premium for location.

Which do you choose, and what do you base it on?

zurgandfriend

Captain,
That’s a hard one to answer we have stayed at the Polynesian and Contemporary and we will do the Grand Floridian next trip.
I enjoyed both resorts the Polynesian was great but I enjoyed the Contemporary after the refurbishment. IMHO I would say they are tied.
I have said it before on these boards, IMO the theme of the Contemporary screams Walt Disney. I believe he had input as to the design before his death. You can see his influence in the Gum Drop shaped trees, the Monorail through the resort and the Grand Canyon Concourse.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I feel as though the Poly is a good choice because it's very family friendly, the rooms are huge, and we love the atmosphere.

However, the GF's room, while not as large, are nicer than the Poly's. The outer buildings are also nicer. Plus, you get bathrobes and turndown service in every room. I'm just not sure if it is family friendly enough for 3 kids in tow.

Upvote 0

LowesChevy

My all time favorite is the Polynesian because I love the theming and the ambiance.

I also love the Grand Floridian, the rooms are brighter and more cheery and I dig the feel of the turn of the century style charm as well. However, we visit Epcot just about every day, so being next to the TTC is a huge perk for us staying at the Polynesian.

We have also stayed at the Contemporary over the years since it first opened. I am kinda on the fence, the theming is cool, but I prefer the Poly or GF over the theming here. We are owners at BLT now and my point of view will probably change after our first stay next month.

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Never stayed at any yet!

But the BLT rooms are unbelievable! And after my last trip the Grand Floridian has shot up in my list of fave resorts but Poly has been our dream resort so il havto go with it but the GF isright behind it:wave:

Upvote 0

wdwwdeagle

I would be curious to know the price difference b/t a room at GF and a one-bedroom at BLT for the time you are travelling. If they are anywhere close to the same price, I would highly recommend BLT, especially since you are travelling with 3 kids. For our trip, the difference b/t the least expensive garden wing room at CR and the one-bedroom at BLT was $70/night.

Having 2 bathrooms, a king bed for the adults, and a real kitchen made a huge difference for us on our most recent trip. We had breakfast in our room most mornings, and had a light dinner in the room one night after we had eaten a big, late lunch. The savings of being able to eat one meal a day in the room would just about make up for the price difference, I think.

But to strictly answer the question... I would vote Poly over the other two hotels. I just like it best.

Upvote 0

stefan74

I have stayed at the Grand Floridian twice and loved both times. The convenience of the magic kingdom being the next stop on the monorail is great! Also, we took the ferry back from magic kingdom to the Grand Floridian and it was the first stop.

I have always wanted to stay at the Contemporary and Poly, maybe one day. I am staying at Beach Club this trip and can't wait to see how that goes.

Have a magical day!

Upvote 0

Foolish Mortal

Poly all the way. Poly trip #2 rapidly approaching. Thank you bounce back offers ! Was way too young to remember my only Contemporary stay. If they have bounce back offer next trip I'm going to ask about Contemporary with an MK view. GF isn't my thing. Beautiful...yes, well themed, but way to stuffy for me. I love the Poly's vibe and proximity to everything. Each time I walked into the room at the Poly I thought "wow this place is so cool" !!! Can't wait to get back.

Upvote 0

JohnLocke

Only stayed at Value so far but Poly would be my pick because of the atmoshpere and theme.

Same here. I've just never really cared for the look of the Contemporary as much. Maybe I'm missing something, but it just doesn't strike me as what I would want on a Disney Vacation. The Grand Floridian is great looking and really well themed, but I don't know if it's really worth the extra money it would cost to stay there.

I also think that the Polynesian is probably the best when it comes to the monorail. You don't have to wait through 3 stops to get to the MK, like you do with the Contemporary and it appears to be a pretty short walk, though I don't know if it's the best thing to do, to get to the TTC to go to EPCOT.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
GF isn't my thing. Beautiful...yes, well themed, but way to stuffy for me.

I hate to say it, especially as I defendedd the GF for not being too stuffy, but while staying at the Poly in August, we visited the GF on quite a few occassions. There were some people (including some CM's) that did make it feel a bit stuffy.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I also think that the Polynesian is probably the best when it comes to the monorail. You don't have to wait through 3 stops to get to the MK, like you do with the Contemporary and it appears to be a pretty short walk, though I don't know if it's the best thing to do, to get to the TTC to go to EPCOT.

It's a very short (and beautiful) walk to the TTC from the Poly. There's no doubt about it. The Poly is far and away the best resort when you're looking for convenience to both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

Just stayed at the Polynesian for 5 days and although it was a little less than perfect (for those interested in details wait for my trip report) I would prefer it to the others, the theming is beautiful and unique. But I have to admit, a short visit to the Contemporary got me at least a little hooked, perhaps next time the Contemporary will be our deluxe resort, at least give it a try.

Upvote 0

pooh's

We have stayed at both Poly and GF, and the GF wins hands down. The Poly seems dark and overgrown. The GF is bright, airy, and has a clean feeling about it. It may seem "stuffy" to some, but we didn't feel that way. I think everyone has a different opinion about each hotel, because each person has different needs and standards.

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

I have stayed at both the Poly (obviously) and the Contemporary. They are my top two favorite WDW properties hands-down and worth every penny to me every time (and yes, on some trips I have even paid the terrifying rack rates for them, haha!)

Still haven't tried the GF -- we think about it from time to time but it's a little too formal for my personal tastes (though I am sure it is also great.) I really don't think you can go wrong with any resort on the monorail loop.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

Its the poly for us. We love the laid back atmosphere and the theming. Plus being able to sit on the beach with a cocktail and watch fireworks is awesome. Big comfy rooms. Gf is beautiful and all, but it is a bit prententious. Contemp is like a big hotel to me ( like in dtd) except for the canyon concourse which is well done.

Upvote 0

disneyaholic86

I've stayed at Poly and Contemporary, but not yet GF. I can say out of the two I would go back to the Poly in a heartbeat. The contemporary was nice, but the resort itself has many issues.
Contemporary
Pros - beautiful view, nice upscale rooms, the monorail is right there(but not really-check cons)
Cons - the Helevators(elevators) - they take forever, I waited several times close to ten minutes for an elevator just to get to the monorail, the room had numerous issues especially the bathroom, the mgmt wasn't helpful on fixing issues

Poly
Pros - Beautiful theming, 24hr. food court, spacious room, no Helevators

Cons - No king bed in std. rooms, walking outside to buildings, no guaranteed balcony

All that said, I leave in 11 days for Bay Lake Tower. I've heard much better things about BLT especially concerning elevators. Plus I have the kitchen to fix the issue with the food court. Hope this might help.

Upvote 0
If I had to choose from those 3 my choice is the Poly - best firework view, great pool, big rooms, relaxed feeling, and self-serve dole whip!

But my true vote would go to BLT. We are DVC owners, and are totally hooked. Had the most amazing MK view room - Castle was dead-center of our balcony, and we could hear the train as it would pass by. Only thing better would be a room right on Main Street!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom