Monorail Pink/Purple questions.

montyz81

Original Poster
I am curious how long it will take given investigation, assessment of damage, rebuilding, retesting, to put both Pink and Purple back in service? Will they do it? Is it cost effective? Will this spawn a need for new monorails in FL? Alternatively, will they even rebuild Purple out of respect for the deceased?

EPCOTPluto

It probably will take a few weeks to investigate the accident, the fix both monorails, cost effective or not.
I think with some improved safety features and better operating systems, both will return and will resume normal AND SAFE operations.

And the proposal Sun Rail from Daytona to Orlando will need to take note of this if it's going to be built...

I would speculate that it would take upwards of a year, depending on whether or not the rest of the trains can take up the slack or not. Of course everything is depending on money -- if Disney needed the trains back ASAP and buget wasn't a concern, then they'd probably be ready in a couple of months at the outside! :lol:

Mad Stitch

Do they need to get pink and purple repaired quickly? How many of the 12 (now 10) monorails are in use at the same time during peak periods?

krankenstein

I think they will put the working parts of pink and purple together to make one usable train while they fix the parts that need to be repaired. That way, they will only have 1 out of service instead of 2.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Wouldnt it be cheaper to build new trains these ones look totaled:shrug:
It depends how much actual structural damage was done. The cab has very little in the way of structural components, it is the "crumple zone" so to speak. The reconstruction might be relatively simple. I expect they will assess the cost and determine their course of action based on the most appropriate cost.

montyz81

Original Poster
I agree, putting working parts together makes sense to bring the count up to 11 working monorails. Temporary paint on one of them to the correct color. That said, I suspect that Purple should be out of service for a bit out of respect for the deceased. I don't know about any of you, but I don't think I would feel right walking onto that train right now. I honestly think that the EPCOT side of TTC should be changed to the Austin Station.

PurpleDragon

Yes I feel that they should either rename the monorail station, or better yet monorail purple, to honor the deceased(Austin). I would have a lot more respect for WDW upper management if they took the time to do something like that.

I'm guessing the idea of merging the working parts and having 11 instead of 10 working monorails is the most logical solution.

Putting the part of the two trains together to make one is probably a rather simple procedure -- I believe they have done it before with the old MkIV's. The question is, what color to give it? I would expect that they would make it "Pink", but would it be better to make a new color (at least for the time being)? :shrug:

kashmir

Putting the part of the two trains together to make one is probably a rather simple procedure -- I believe they have done it before with the old MkIV's. The question is, what color to give it? I would expect that they would make it "Pink", but would it be better to make a new color (at least for the time being)? :shrug:

Orchid - a combo of pink and purple?

donsullivan

Premium Member
I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to retire the two colors involved in this event and choose new color(s) for the repaired trains.

Even separate from respect for the event (which would be reason enough), I would imagine they won't want to deal with the sarcastic comments that will be made by far too many people if the colors are re-used.

Just imagine someone yelling out "That's the one that killed the guy" as pink arrives at the monorail station. Try and sort that one out with the kids. Or, "I don't want to ride purple, that's the one the guy died in!"; let's wait for the next train.

It would likely be best overall if those colors were retired to put this horrible event behind everyone on the return of the train(s) to service.

Scott M

I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to retire the two colors involved in this event and choose new color(s) for the repaired trains...

I couldn't agree more. I would be very surprised if these two trains reappeared in their original colors.

Airlines do the same with flight numbers of aircraft involved in fatal accidents.

I don't expect to see pink or purple on the resurrected monorails.

PurpleDragon

I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to retire the two colors involved in this event and choose new color(s) for the repaired trains.

Even separate from respect for the event (which would be reason enough), I would imagine they won't want to deal with the sarcastic comments that will be made by far too many people if the colors are re-used.

Just imagine someone yelling out "That's the one that killed the guy" as pink arrives at the monorail station. Try and sort that one out with the kids. Or, "I don't want to ride purple, that's the one the guy died in!"; let's wait for the next train.

It would likely be best overall if those colors were retired to put this horrible event behind everyone on the return of the train(s) to service.

This is very very true, good point.

I'm guessing we'll see some new monorail colors in the future, and I'm pretty sure pink and purple will never be active again for the above stated reason. Now any speculation on what colors they will use? Quick, pull out the crayon box.

mmzplanet

I don't see the colors going away permanently. Maybe temporarily. If a new MkVIII were to ever come out, purple and pink could return without much issue by then. I suggested in another thread they can have a Monorail Aqua... a nice Blue-Green color stripe.

Also , here is an argument for keeping current colors and not change a thing. When the colors are changed, we will still know it was the physical monorail in the accident. The 11th one is likely to be the former Pink, the 12th likely the former Purple. So why kid ourselves, we know what it is no matter the color. Austin would probably want it left alone. With how much of a fan he was, I doubt he would push for the retirement of any color.

Its a shame that those two colors may disappear! The the two most princess related colors for the girls.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I don't see the colors going away permanently. Maybe temporarily. If a new MkVIII were to ever come out, purple and pink could return without much issue by then. I suggested in another thread they can have a Monorail Aqua... a nice Blue-Green color stripe.

Also , here is an argument for keeping current colors and not change a thing. When the colors are changed, we will still know it was the physical monorail in the accident. The 11th one is likely to be the former Pink, the 12th likely the former Purple. So why kid ourselves, we know what it is no matter the color. Austin would probably want it left alone. With how much of a fan he was, I doubt he would push for the retirement of any color.

Its a shame that those two colors may disappear! The the two most princess related colors for the girls.

I don't disagree that there is a small group of Disney fans who will be aware of even the most minute details and this will be one of them. However, the average guest, who is the one more likely to blurt out the things I described above, will have no idea which is which in that context as long as it's not pink or purple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom