Monorail Orange loses all power causing evacuation

donsullivan

Premium Member
I feel like since it's in Florida maybe heat should be expected and something it can handle?
If it died during a freak snow storm that could be understandable.
Not to mention, a hot day is the worst time to be stranded without ac.
The point I was trying to reference is that we’re experience extraordinary heat conditions way above normal over the last few weeks setting daily high temperature records. It’s no different than the monorail needing to be shut down on the rare ocassions when it gets extremely cold here. The beam can shrink from the cold to a point where the high point over on the northeast side of SSL one of the expansion joints can open to the point where it’s unsafe for the monorails to pass across them.

The Mrs

The point I was trying to reference is that we’re experience extraordinary heat conditions way above normal over the last few weeks setting daily high temperature records. It’s no different than the monorail needing to be shut down on the rare ocassions when it gets extremely cold here. The beam can shrink from the cold to a point where the high point over on the northeast side of SSL one of the expansion joints can open to the point where it’s unsafe for the monorails to pass across them.
If it is heat related, I would hope they have a cut off point temperature wise where they automatically shut it down. I would rather find alternate transportation then be stuck in a monorail with no ac on an extremely hot day, even briefly.

Brad Bishop

Somehow the Monorail made it for 40ish years with 99.8% uptime but now we make excuses for it.

The trains should have been replace 10 years back but Disney "saved" money.

On a spreadsheet, show Bob how spending more money on the Monorail will result in more money returned to the company. You can't.

People line up. People scream, "TAKE MY MONEY!," and it doesn't matter if the Monorail runs or not because those same people will defend Disney.

I think one of two things will happen, long term:
- The Monorail at some point maims or kills a customer
- The Monorail reaches such disrepair that people just stop riding it.

At that point I think that they'll just shut it down (leaving the beams up for another 2 decades or so because that's their style).

If they wanted to invest in the Monorail then they would have done it. They didn't. I suspect that they're "20,000 Leagues"-ing it to the point where they'll say, "It's not feasible to save it."

At that point what will happen is:
- People will defend Disney
- People will line up at the gate screaming, "TAKE MY MONEY!"
- People will still pay exorbitant amounts of money for the "Monorail Hotels", even though they no longer have a Monorail, because: Disney (nostalgia) "They're still deluxe hotels!" "I'm within walking distance of the MK!" "I can see the MK across the lake!!" - that'll be what's said.

It's hard to knock Bob when those are the results.

twilight mitsuk

Somehow the Monorail made it for 40ish years with 99.8% uptime but now we make excuses for it.

The trains should have been replace 10 years back but Disney "saved" money.

On a spreadsheet, show Bob how spending more money on the Monorail will result in more money returned to the company. You can't.

People line up. People scream, "TAKE MY MONEY!," and it doesn't matter if the Monorail runs or not because those same people will defend Disney.

I think one of two things will happen, long term:
- The Monorail at some point maims or kills a customer
- The Monorail reaches such disrepair that people just stop riding it.

At that point I think that they'll just shut it down (leaving the beams up for another 2 decades or so because that's their style).

If they wanted to invest in the Monorail then they would have done it. They didn't. I suspect that they're "20,000 Leagues"-ing it to the point where they'll say, "It's not feasible to save it."

At that point what will happen is:
- People will defend Disney
- People will line up at the gate screaming, "TAKE MY MONEY!"
- People will still pay exorbitant amounts of money for the "Monorail Hotels", even though they no longer have a Monorail, because: Disney (nostalgia) "They're still deluxe hotels!" "I'm within walking distance of the MK!" "I can see the MK across the lake!!" - that'll be what's said.

It's hard to knock Bob when those are the results.
replaced by more skybucket lines

Goofyernmost

If it's mechanical vs having some effect from lightning then it's not a good sign.
It's not really a bad sign either. Some of those vehicles had been idle for a long time. Nothing raises more havoc with mechanical things than not being used. They are old and therefore lack of use tends to exacerbate the problems, but something like that is not something that can be anticipated. A capacitor or diode can crap out and there is no way to know that will happen until it does. I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Last edited:

Figment2005

You know that just because a monorail loses power, especially that close to a station, doesn't mean something is broken. Could have just as easily been an intentional power loss due to a situation on the platform.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom