Monorail Expansion

GarryandLindy

Original Poster
Please don't bash me. I'll make this short and sweet. My fiances friend came up to our lake house last night for a visit he works in Orlando as an electrician for a company that has been sub-contracted out by Disney to do electric work. He has no idea that we love disney and has no reason to lie to us. His next project is going to be a new Disney Time Share Resort that has a monorail platform. This is defenite - his company has been hired and he was telling me about a 300 plus page blue print book regarding the project.

Also, Disney will be connected with MCO using a light rail system. The same rail system will also extend to Universal and downtown Orlando.

One more thing - they are in the planning stage for a fith park.

Don't forget that I love you guys and love reading your posts, so please don't be to harsh and as soon as the platform goes up I will get the picture.

MickeyTigg

GarryandLindy said:
Please don't bash me. I'll make this short and sweet. My fiances friend came up to our lake house last night for a visit he works in Orlando as an electrician for a company that has been sub-contracted out by Disney to do electric work. He has no idea that we love disney and has no reason to lie to us. His next project is going to be a new Disney Time Share Resort that has a monorail platform. This is defenite - his company has been hired and he was telling me about a 300 plus page blue print book regarding the project.

Actually....there may be something to this. Lou Mongello has been talking for a couple of months now that he's heard a rumor from someone inside Disney claiming that Disney will announce on October 1st that the next new DVC resort will be on the monorail on the site of the old STOLport.

I haven't believed it....but this may lead some credence to it.

napnet

Corrus said:
Summer vacation time... schools are out... :D :lookaroun

Hah, my parents made me stay out side all summer... ah well these things are not going to happen. There is the REMOTE chance of a resort being built on Bay Lake where the Venetian Resort was to be, but probably not for years

natalia1681

TiggerRPh said:
Actually....there may be something to this. Lou Mongello has been talking for a couple of months now that he's heard a rumor from someone inside Disney claiming that Disney will announce on October 1st that the next new DVC resort will be on the monorail on the site of the old STOLport.

I haven't believed it....but this may lead some credence to it.

I'd love to see it happen! But I probably won't be holding my breath.

Here's a question. What is the old STOLport? Thanks:wave:

napnet

TiggerRPh said:

I have heard that too, would be interesting to have a resort on the Epcot line but i doubt it would happen.

napnet

natalia1681 said:
I'd love to see it happen! But I probably won't be holding my breath.

Here's a question. What is the old STOLport? Thanks:wave:

Short Take Off and Landing airport... on your right as you enter the Magic Kingdom at the toll/parking booth

WDWScottieBoy

The STOLport is the airplane landing strip right by the Contemporary Resort...it's where Walt landed when looking at land and during the building stages of MK. Now it's used as a semi parking lot.

As far as DVC hotels...they are already working on a couple others that don't need to be built. ;)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
A new resort on an existing monorail line would NOT constitute monorail expansion, and is highly more likely than a new resort on a new monorail spur.

MickeyTigg

napnet said:
I have heard that too, would be interesting to have a resort on the Epcot line but i doubt it would happen.

I think the location stinks. It's right across the road from the speedway and it's right after the MK toll plaza. I don't see it happening either....not there anyway.

GarryandLindy

Original Poster
unkadug said:
A new resort on an existing monorail line would NOT constitute monorail expansion, and is highly more likely than a new resort on a new monorail spur.

unkadug - Thank you and my error - A platform isn't necessarily a monorail expansion.

Skippy

It's funny... below me are four 'similar threads' with the exact same title...

anyways.

Though the amount of these threads are too many... the more people post about them, the more I really wish more things were connected to the monorail. but maybe that's why these rumors are so popular.

Tim G

unkadug said:
Or a Meet 'n Greet! :D

brertigger

WDWScottieBoy said:
The STOLport is the airplane landing strip right by the Contemporary Resort...it's where Walt landed when looking at land and during the building stages of MK. Now it's used as a semi parking lot.

It is quite bumpy in sections. Getting to and going from it towards MK backstage areas are also quite bumpy. It is still in good shape overall though. Some local roads near my house that were built in the past few years are in worse shape than this older road is.

I really hope they don't tear it up. It is a good spot for bus training and a historical spot (you could say).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
brertigger said:
It is quite bumpy in sections. Getting to and going from it towards MK backstage areas are also quite bumpy. It is still in good shape overall though. Some local roads near my house that were built in the past few years are in worse shape than this older road is.

I really hope they don't tear it up. It is a good spot for bus training and a historical spot (you could say).
The Stolport is probably more of a nuisance and liability than anything else.

There are several spots more fitting for bus training and it really didn't play a very historical part in WDW history.

Hardly anyone even knows that it exists, so really it would never be missed by the gereral public.

scpergj

TiggerRPh said:
I think the location stinks. It's right across the road from the speedway and it's right after the MK toll plaza. I don't see it happening either....not there anyway.

Good point, but I have to wonder how much longer the speedway is going to be there. It was built for the IRL to race in it's first few years, and there were some truck races there too, if I recall correctly, but I don't believe it has been used for professional automobile racing in at least 8 years. I can't believe that the Richard Petty Driving experience is bringing in enough money to justify all of the maintenace that it takes to keep a racetrack in proper racing condition.

[Edit] I should probably say that the above is just my opinion, I have no inside information. Pure speculation...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom