Monorail crash?

colliera

Ah Ha!

So the control cabs are on each end to facilitate switching a train from one track like the express that runs clockwise to the resort track which runs counter-clockwise.

Here's another question, why are the two track run in opposite directions?

s8film40

Running the monorails using only half of the loop is referred to as shuttle service. This is usually only done with one train as it requires a more complicated clearence procedure. Disneyland ran two trains like this during the DCA construction. This was indeed done last saturday, however once the train departs with its passengers it then takes about 10-15 minutes before it arrives at the other station, unloads, loads, returns, and then loads again. So it would be a long wait for that particular train. To answer the question as to why the Express and resort monorail travel in opposite directions there is a reason for this. You can identify witch end of the train the driver is operating by looking at the headlight/strobe light. At the end that the train is being operated from the headlight will be on and the other end will have the blinking strobe light on. The strobe light is the drivers way of visually seeing the train in front of him. Now if both monorail beams are going the same way it would render this visual aid useless as well as giving the drivers a good scare now and then.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I got to do "shuttle" from the TTC to Epcot (aka: going backwards from the normal direction on the track) and I got to ride in the front (technically rear) cab - so it's definately done.

They had the switch open because they were taking a train off, so obviously going forward wasn't gonna happen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Technically they can run both lines in the same direction; as s8film40 said it`s more operational and asthetically pleasing to run alternate. When WDW opened they sometimes ran in the same direction for promotional reasons.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It seems to me that the monorails used to go in the opposite directions. That the routes have reversed, or maybe I'm just remembering wrong ?!?

shoppingnut

unkadug said:
It seems to me that the monorails used to go in the opposite directions. That the routes have reversed, or maybe I'm just remembering wrong ?!?

What you might be recalling is that at one time, there was no express monorail from MK to TTC, but that each monorail stopped at all the stops on both sides. If you look at all the hotels you will notice that there is a platform for exiting the monorail on the side where the express monorail now rides.

mpaul32001

shoppingnut said:
What you might be recalling is that at one time, there was no express monorail from MK to TTC, but that each monorail stopped at all the stops on both sides. If you look at all the hotels you will notice that there is a platform for exiting the monorail on the side where the express monorail now rides.

If this is true, which i don't doubt it one bit, how did they stop at the contemporary with the resort monorail on the express side? Not to get off topic, :hammer:

maxime29

Premium Member
Wow. I would have never expected something like that to happen. I guess everything is probable to fail or have error. Hopefully the injured person will make a full recovery. Anyone have an idea of how long it will take to replace the damage of Yellow?

Invero

marni1971 said:
Technically they can run both lines in the same direction; as s8film40 said it`s more operational and asthetically pleasing to run alternate. When WDW opened they sometimes ran in the same direction for promotional reasons.
When I was a monorail pilot, every so often we'd be able to have the two beams going in the same direction, and one could 'race' the other train. It was quite fun. :)

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Invero said:
When I was a monorail pilot, every so often we'd be able to have the two beams going in the same direction, and one could 'race' the other train. It was quite fun. :)
That sounds like so much fun :p

beanboon

NautOneFL said:
Makes me wonder though... what is with the wraparound cage? Seems that for what they do a simple rail should suffice, but I notice that the roof is caged also.

And where is the damage to this? Not seeing it myself!

-J

The cage is likely the clearance envelope for the monorail trains. It is probably used to check clearance with trees and any construction. They may even trim trees from the tractor (if any come close enough to be trimmed).

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The monorail system is already back to normal service. They probably sent a tug for the tug and then got yellow moving on it's own. There are 12 WDW monorails - not all of which need to be operational for the system to work.

You'd need 4 trains on each line to need all 12 monorails, and on the small loops, MK express and resort, that's really not needed or practical most of the time.

MonoRon

Invero said:

When did you use to be a monorail pilot? When I was the college program and I had shifts were you took the monorail back to shop on the express beam I would usually race the resort beam going into the magic kingdom. It was a lot of fun.

Invero

MonoRon said:
When did you use to be a monorail pilot? When I was the college program and I had shifts were you took the monorail back to shop on the express beam I would usually race the resort beam going into the magic kingdom. It was a lot of fun.
4-5 years ago... I used to work mornings, so my times of racing were in the morning when Central would run exterior as a Early Entry shuttle the long way 'round. It was fun to have guests up there as I would race the resort train... and then drive in reverse all the way back.

Also, opening Epcot, Central would have the train in Concourse reverse to Epcot while I brought a train over the switch to Epcot... so we'd race then too.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Invero said:
4-5 years ago... I used to work mornings, so my times of racing were in the morning when Central would run exterior as a Early Entry shuttle the long way 'round. It was fun to have guests up there as I would race the resort train... and then drive in reverse all the way back.

Also, opening Epcot, Central would have the train in Concourse reverse to Epcot while I brought a train over the switch to Epcot... so we'd race then too.

:wave: Nice to see your posts again. :)

I'd pay to see two monorails racing. :lol:

mikeymouse

out of curiosity, is it possible to accidentally run through a switch while it is switching or when it isn't switched to your track?

Invero

mikeymouse said:
out of curiosity, is it possible to accidentally run through a switch while it is switching or when it isn't switched to your track?
Nope. Disney utilizies cold switching, which means there is no power on the switch, or nearby beams. Trains would never be able to get close to an open switch under thier own power.

yellowrocket

12 trains, eh? These are the Mark VI? or Mark VII?

Is this right?
+ Monorail Red
+ Monorail Yellow
+ Monorail Blue
+ Monorail Black
+ Monorail Purple
+ Monorail Orange
+ Monorail Pink
+ Monorail Green
+ Monorail Silver
+ Monorail Gold

+ Monorail Lime
+ Monorail Coral

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom