Monorail Coral One and Done

gators11

Original Poster
Monorail Coral returned to the beam today for the first time since having the Tron wrap removed. But it didn't last long after only one lap express and resort line lost power and coral had to be towed by tractor 3 10-8 spur back to shop.

PhilharMagician

It is amazing that the monorails are as reliable as they are after all the years of use. It is really hard to imagine the amount of miles, stops, door opens and closes and the amount of passengers that each monorail has endured. The numbers would probably be stagering! One would think that there has to be some sort of replacement plan in the works, if not the breakdowns will probably get worse and more frequent.

Figment82

It was out on the express line on Saturday morning. It sat at the TTC station for quite a while before leaving empty. The crowd (most of whom I assume were attempting to make it to rope drop or close to it) rejoiced in cheers and applause when it finally pulled away.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
It is amazing that the monorails are as reliable as they are after all the years of use. It is really hard to imagine the amount of miles, stops, door opens and closes and the amount of passengers that each monorail has endured. The numbers would probably be stagering! One would think that there has to be some sort of replacement plan in the works, if not the breakdowns will probably get worse and more frequent.

they ARE getting worse and more frequent, which is why Disney is not having them run during EMH anymore.

boufa

IF wikipedia is to be believed (not sure where they get their numbers) there are 50 million riders per year.... 21 years = 1.05 BILLION passengers!!!!!

Of those approximately 3,428 have never been stuck on a broken down monorail :lol:

It is amazing that the system is as reliable as it is.

COProgressFan

It is true, but given proper maintenance public transit systems (subways, light rail, etc.), can have a life expectancy of 30 or 40 years.

The monorail trains have now been running 22-ish years, and to keep them operating efficiently, they will need either major overhauls soon to keep them going for another 10 or 15 years, or a replacement plan in place to phase them out in a more near term time frame.

RunnerEd

I know this is a big "duh" but they need to get the 12th train out ASAP so that they can systematically give the other 11 a week or two shop time before the busy Christmas/New Year season.

Amelia's Man

Monorail Teal was getting quite the workout last week while we were there! It seems that I jumped on that one more than the others! Lime green being the second most popular on the trip!!

Rinx

Each monorail in the fleet has literally logged WELL over a million miles since coming into service. That is no exaggeration, that is fact.

puntagordabob

they ARE getting worse and more frequent, which is why Disney is not having them run during EMH anymore.

And here is the giant Band-Aid to make the boo boo all better.....sadly though the wound is infected so the Band-Aid only masks the symptoms while everything gets worse. Sure hope there is a Plan for replacement or a real refurbishment of the fleet and of the system... and I think it would be a great idea if Disney were to quietly announce this... would make a lot of these headaches more bearable for a mass majority of Guests if we all knew this was "just for a short duration" rather than silence that sort of equals "forever" :*(

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fleet being overtaxed and outliving its intended lifespan?

+1!!!!

boufa

And here is the giant Band-Aid to make the boo boo all better.....sadly though the wound is infected so the Band-Aid only masks the symptoms while everything gets worse. Sure hope there is a Plan for replacement or a real refurbishment of the fleet and of the system... and I think it would be a great idea if Disney were to quietly announce this... would make a lot of these headaches more bearable for a mass majority of Guests if we all knew this was "just for a short duration" rather than silence that sort of equals "forever" :*(

+1!!!!

I disagree, not that the monorails need fixed, but the majority of guests part. The majority of guests that visit wdw are either first timers or once every few years people. They are mostly not represented here. I get 1 week down there, then it may be 5 years before I come back. Knowing that they are being refurbished for the overall good of the system doesn't make me feel any better. Maybe the fanatical fans could see the big picture, but mist of us would be ticked off and disapointed. That is something that Disney dies not want to do. Thousands of people who don't follow the forums who would find it closed and think that they missed an opportunity on one of the uniqly Disney experiences.

hpyhnt 1000

I disagree, not that the monorails need fixed, but the majority of guests part. The majority of guests that visit wdw are either first timers or once every few years people. They are mostly not represented here. I get 1 week down there, then it may be 5 years before I come back. Knowing that they are being refurbished for the overall good of the system doesn't make me feel any better. Maybe the fanatical fans could see the big picture, but mist of us would be ticked off and disapointed. That is something that Disney dies not want to do. Thousands of people who don't follow the forums who would find it closed and think that they missed an opportunity on one of the uniqly Disney experiences.

While I definitely understand this view, maintenance has to be done at some point and if that means closing the system then so be it. Replacing or upgrading the trains is easy enough; either integrate a new fleet over the course of a year or pull one train off at a time for an extended rehabilitation.

The beamway is where it gets tricky. Nothing is impervious to rain, humidity, and sun (not to mention constant use 365 days a year) and at some point they are going to need to be worked on if they are to stick around for another 40 years. If each beam's power is isolated from the others, then its easy: shut down each line one at a time and keep the other two running. If all lines operate on the same power supply, then its trickier because then the entire system would have to shut down while work takes place. I'm not familiar with the operational details of the system so maybe someone who is can chime in and address this issue.

peachykeen

While I definitely understand this view, maintenance has to be done at some point and if that means closing the system then so be it. Replacing or upgrading the trains is easy enough; either integrate a new fleet over the course of a year or pull one train off at a time for an extended rehabilitation.

The beamway is where it gets tricky. Nothing is impervious to rain, humidity, and sun (not to mention constant use 365 days a year) and at some point they are going to need to be worked on if they are to stick around for another 40 years. If each beam's power is isolated from the others, then its easy: shut down each line one at a time and keep the other two running. If all lines operate on the same power supply, then its trickier because then the entire system would have to shut down while work takes place. I'm not familiar with the operational details of the system so maybe someone who is can chime in and address this issue.

Each beam can be powered up/down separately.

montyz81

The monorail trains have now been running 22-ish years,
I would argue that this is longer since they have been running 11 monorails for almost 2 years now. So without that extra monrail, how much extra time does that require each of the others run and how many more years does that put on the entire fleet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom