Monorail beam cleaning?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From every photo of the Contemporary Resort from the early days, the hotels beams looked painted. Sort of a dark grey or black.
I can still see it somewhat even today.

Am I alone on this one?

Old post, but I was curious about this too. In the early photos, the beams definitely look grey to me. Why is this?
They very well might have been painted, but painting concrete is generally a bad idea from a strictly aesthetics choice.

The slow gradual weathering of unpainted concrete is harder to notice. In many cases, most people often don't notice it until someone cleans it. Dirty and especially chipping and peeling paint catches our eye much easier.

To avoid this you would have to clean and repaint much more frequently than you would have to just clean unpainted concrete.

Disone

I was surprised to see it cleaned since I had been down last. But upon closer examination, so far only the beam facing World Drive (Epcot to TTC) has been cleaned. The inner beam (TTC to Epcot) remains filthy.
Update.... This week I have noticed they've had the cleaning tractor back out and been cleaning tha TTC to Epcot. They were just about at the toll plaza heading towards Epcot where I last saw them. And then for some reason they skipped a large portion and the next place I saw the tractor working was way down the line after the beam crosses over the World Drive and Epcot World Drive intersection. But hey at least it's back out doing more of the Epcot beam.

Anyone know what's up with the monorail Beam by the Polynesian. Especially as viewed from the shades of green it looks very scarred and not necessarily something that will pressure wash off.

Figment2005

Update.... This week I have noticed they've had the cleaning tractor back out and been cleaning tha TTC to Epcot. They were just about at the toll plaza heading towards Epcot where I last saw them. And then for some reason they skipped a large portion and the next place I saw the tractor working was way down the line after the beam crosses over the World Drive and Epcot World Drive intersection. But hey at least it's back out doing more of the Epcot beam.

Anyone know what's up with the monorail Beam by the Polynesian. Especially as viewed from the shades of green it looks very scarred and not necessarily something that will pressure wash off.
There was a time when someone thought that painting the beam was a good idea...

Disone

No, people were proposing painting the beams to make them look cleaner, OP was pointing out damage that looked like it would not be covered by paint.
They will never paint the beams
Yeah no go on the paint. I think they would more quickly end up with a worst result then just not cleaning them has been.

Phil12

It's better to leave the monorail beams alone. Even low PSI pressure washing can damage them. Or perhaps, that's part of the plan?

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
MickeyViews captured monorail beam cleaning happening late at night about two weeks ago.
D346D141-4DDB-4F0F-947C-93111881C70C.png

Video of cleaning 1 minute into video:

cookiee_munster

(Apologies if this has already been covered)

It's a shame that nothing can't be rigged up to travel on the monorail line and just power wash it slowly and in sections, kind of like multiple nozzles attached and rigged below each other to do each area as the rig travels along the beam rather than having people doing it in little bursts like that.

Lilofan

No, people were proposing painting the beams to make them look cleaner, OP was pointing out damage that looked like it would not be covered by paint.
They will never paint the beams
Don't paint the beams just like don't clean the dirt, grime and cobwebs in the pre show area of the Tower of Terror hotel lobby area at DHS.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
(Apologies if this has already been covered)

It's a shame that nothing can't be rigged up to travel on the monorail line and just power wash it slowly and in sections, kind of like multiple nozzles attached and rigged below each other to do each area as the rig travels along the beam rather than having people doing it in little bursts like that.
Sometimes it takes the human touch to do things correctly, although I am a little puzzled by the equipment they are using.

They seem to be using a straight from Lowes/Home Depot pressure washer made primarily for residential use vs a commercial grade pressure washer that would be much better suited for the task. They are also only using a rotary or "turbo" nozzle that has only about a 6" diameter cleaning area vs a surface cleaner that can clean a 15" or more area in a single pass.

hosekiller

Sometimes it takes the human touch to do things correctly, although I am a little puzzled by the equipment they are using.

They seem to be using a straight from Lowes/Home Depot pressure washer made primarily for residential use vs a commercial grade pressure washer that would be much better suited for the task. They are also only using a rotary or "turbo" nozzle that has only about a 6" diameter cleaning area vs a surface cleaner that can clean a 15" or more area in a single pass.
Somebody is being punished 🤣🤣

Disone

I've never seen a Surface Cleaner used on a wall. Only on a flat surface. I don't think would be very easy to use a Surface Cleaner on the sides of the monorail beam.

So I Googled it and all I found was regular concrete surface pressure washers. So ten specified for walls and found this....

Interesting. Not sure how even it would turn out. Surface cleaners generally wash evenly because they're trying to lift and the lift is always even no matter where you slide them. But this would be reliant on the person and how much pressure they're putting on that wall and is that pressure consistent and always the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom