Monorail Accident

Emergency brakes

I am more than baffled and stunned by this accident. The monorail has a system in place so that if one train is too close to another, proximity alarms go off and the monorail automatically applies the brakes and stops. Only the driver is supposed to be able to override this system. With the constant preventive maintenance, I can't imagine how that system would have failed. But I also don't want to imagine that the CM was the cause of this. Either way, it's a horrible day for Disney.

KCMouse

I'm not saying that it couldn't be human error, it is most likely human error and accidents do happen whenever humans are involved. Computer systems typically don't just fail without user intervention.

To say it was "intentional" is a nice way of saying he committed suicide and therefore tried taking other people out with him. That is was I find disrespectful.

It is normal for us all to wonder what happened, but some ideas are better left inside our heads.

BadTigger

I'm getting PM's about the video I mentioned in my last post, I guess t hasn't been posting here yet, I haven't looked through this entire thread here is the link. "it seems its being removed, just go to drudgereport" It seems to be seconds after the crash.

Desperad07

Heck, I would go as far as saying it is safer than driving period!

There's no doubt that the monorail has been the safest mode of transportation in the entire country. 38 years before having its first death via accident? Tell me you know of any ferry, train, subway, plane or automobile system that has even gone a few years before having to register a death. Not sure what Disneyland's record has been, since it's monorail has been running for 50 years. Either way, I'd have to fly to get to Disney World so it's foolish to take that risk and then avoid the monorail.

I agree! I've been going to WDW twice a year for the past five years with my family and I'm a CM, as well. This would not change my feelings about riding in the monorail or allowing my family to ride in front. Accidents happen, unfortunately, that doesn't mean you should live in a glass bubble and not enjoy life because of them.

CaptainMichael

If this is operator error you can bet age will be a factor in the future. As I said, it is possible for a 21 year old to be very responsible, but it is unlikely a 21 year old has a proven track record of reliability. There is a reason you have to be a certain age to drive a car or have other responsibilities. Experience and reliability have to be factored in. Especially when so much depends on that individual.

Not arguing with you so that ends it for me.

You never cease to amaze me jt. For one second, assume someone knows more about Disney transportation than you do.:wave:

radiohost

Here's a thought...

From the pictures I have seen, this monorail must have been traveling at a VERY high speed, forcing the damage it caused upon impact. No way was this monorail traveling at the speed they normally travel upon entry into any station.

jt04

I'm not saying that it couldn't be human error, it is most likely human error and accidents do happen whenever humans are involved. Computer systems typically don't just fail without user intervention.

To say it was "intentional" is a nice way of saying he committed suicide and therefore tried taking other people out with him. That is was I find disrespectful.

It is normal for us all to wonder what happened, but some ideas are better left inside our heads.

I agree with what master yoda was getting at. Could have been intentional but he didn't mean for it to be as severe as it was. Pure speculation on my part but from what I have read there are multiple safety features that have never failed before. I'm convinced the investigation will figure out the cause.

hardcard

I don't understand how this could be human error. The system is built in away that two trains should never be in the same zone, this has to have been a computer glitch or something else.

It could easily be human error or intent.. Unfortunately that is easier to belivee that a system failure in this case.. MAPO (if you read more ofo the thread before this) can easily be overridden.. and it requires that the button be 'held down' for the duration of the override, or the e-brakes kick in.. In this case, the mapo light would have lit around 2000 feet or so away from the rear of pink, and gone to amber really fast after that... meaning the cm was (potentially) holding the button down for the duration of travel until impact..

the only thing I could see would be a 'button stuck' type of failure, but the cm could have smacked the e-stop button on the console the moment something went wrong..

disnyfan89

I have to respectfully disagree. The plan outcome of any event could change very quickly and what starts as a joke quickly becomes a major tragedy. No one is saying suicide. In fact, the idea hadn't even crossed my mind. However, we must not jump to conclusions, big or small, until all facts are known. However, speculation is only natural in a case such as this.

jt04

You never cease to amaze me jt. For one second, assume someone knows more about Disney transportation than you do.:wave:

I have managed 21 year olds and training is not the be all/end all of the story no matter what discipline you are talking about. When you get older and especially if you have to deal with young people you will get what I am saying. :wave:

hardcard

I agree with what master yoda was getting at. Could have been intentional but he didn't mean for it to be as severe as it was. Pure speculation on my part but from what I have read there are multiple safety features that have never failed before. I'm convinced the investigation will figure out the cause.

Monorails have bumped before.. 'intentionally'.. and the incident with the tractor a few years back was an impact as well.

If thats the case, then the result is not much different... You don't 'screw around' with a multimillion dollar train, or peoples lives..

AGAIN, NOTHING IS PROVEN AT THIS POINT.. Just an observation of the speculative theory in play with this line of thinking.

dazzer68

A distressing time for all those invloved, sympathys to the family of the young cast member.i think at this early stage thats all that should be said

EPCOT Explorer

I have managed 21 year olds and training is not the be all/end all of the story no matter what discipline you are talking about. When you get older and especially if you have to deal with young people you will get what I am saying. :wave:

So put all young people in the same pot? We all procrastinate, act insolent, and listen to one type of music?:rolleyes:

BACK to the MONORAIL, though...That's the issue here.

mattfusf

Very saddened to hear about this. Thoughts and prayers go out to the CM's family and friends.

I dug up an old article that I thought may be of interest. It is from 1991, and I know the monorails have been updated a bit since then, but I believe the basics of the MAPO system and switching have remained the same:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~azuma/dis.monorails

--Matt

mikeymouse

On a side note, I saw the video from the platform, why is it I only see one CM?? Also the video shows, something I always noticed when I was a CP years back, when something goes wrong CMs have NO CLUE what to do and end up focusing less on the problem at hand and more on some moron with a camera.

I've seen this a million times. Panic, lack of training, etc. I think they did what they could. There wasn't much they could do without rescue tools. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom