Monarail Extension to all WDW Parks????

JayDarkKnight25

Original Poster
I was thinking about this earlier and I don't know why I did'nt say it in the first place....their should be an extension to all the current Disney Parks now like M.K.,Walt Disney Studios,Epcot,@ Animal Kingdom.

MCBRIZZ5

Man u like starting conversations don't you thats the second thread ive seen of yours tonite. THis is an excellent idea in my opinion, but id say dont go to AK just MGM.

Lynx04

Extending the monorail cost a lot of money, on top of that, if is no where near as effecient as bus transportation. I highly doubt that a monorail extention will ever happen.

I would elaborate, but this topic has been brought up so many times before and I am bout to go to bed and don't have the time spell it all out. Try doing a search on this topic and I am sure you will find out why the monorail will not be exteneded.

Tom

Beta Return
JayDarkKnight25 said:
I was thinking about this earlier and I don't know why I did'nt say it in the first place....their should be an extension to all the current Disney Parks now like M.K.,Walt Disney Studios,Epcot,@ Animal Kingdom.

I see that you're new here, kind of, so a helpful tip: Before you start a thread, you should do a search on your topic. This has been discussed MANY times on here, with pretty much the same results every time.

In summary, they will not be extending the monorail systems. It costs WAY too much to do now. The land is all swamp, and not stable to support all the weight, plus its not an effecient way to move people. The bus system works far better than imagined, and has really just made the monorail just a novelty. Don't get me wrong, i LOVE the monorail, but there are better ways to move people long distances. :)

goofyfan13

Not going to happen. I would like it to, but it would cost the company way too much when the bus system works great. Lets hope this doesn't turn into another When will Indy Adventure come to MGM thread...... :brick:

MCBRIZZ5

I wouldn't say the bus system is great. It is only decent depending on where you stay. I think they could though go to Disney Studios, but not AK way too far.

goofyfan13

MCBRIZZ5 said:
I wouldn't say the bus system is great. It is only decent depending on where you stay. I think they could though go to Disney Studios, but not AK way too far.

From Disney's perspective it works great, it's flexible, and a reliable way to shuttle people around. And I have stayed at almost every resort and have not had a problem with the busses, the longest I've waited is 20 minutes, which I don't mind at all. There a NUMEROUS threads on this topic, if you look for the user Invero, you will find a lot of useful information on this topic, and as to how the monorail expansion won't happen because of the money and the fact that the bussing system works as good as it does.

MonoRon

If they were going to espand the monorail MGM would be first...they have already put in some supports for it, but then realized that it would cost to much. In my opinion there would be a 5th park before expanding the monorail.

imagineer boy

No, no! Please not another thread regaurding monorail expansion. :brick: Okay, I'm loosing it. I'm taking some tylonol and heading to bed. Its been a rough day for me. :(

CaptainMichael

JayDarkKnight25 said:

Yes, there should, but there won't be any extension.

TimeTrip

JayDarkKnight25 said:

As everyone said, this has been discussed to death in many other threads. I will just address what you have said in your post. An extension... from where to where? Just try to come up with a somewhat efficient way to run monorails to all the parks. And no, having 2 dedicated rails between all the parks is not efficient for a number of reasons. Also, i'm guessing the majority of people don't park hop on a given day so it would be a huge waste of dough in that case.

monorail_man

Account Suspended
JayDarkKnight25 said:

Here is a little information to help you (and others) understand why Disney will never expand the monorail track.

Monorail Cost (Approximately):
Train $7 Million Dollars Each
Beam way $1 Million Dollars Per Mile (1982) much more now

Operating Costs: (Oct 1, 1980-Sept 30, 1981,Mark IV)
$3,347,000, $7.00 per train mile,
$.08 per passenger mile

In short. It would cost WAY too much money to expand.

DME

The buses work good. The only problem is that they waste so much gas. It'd be nice if they could use hybrid buses(half gas/half electric) or all electric.

Lynx04

DME said:
The buses work good. The only problem is that they waste so much gas. It'd be nice if they could use hybrid buses(half gas/half electric) or all electric.

I think this will happen before a monorail expansion, good idea.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Lynx04 said:
I think this will happen before a monorail expansion, good idea.
lynx04, it may happen sooner than we think since there may not be any oil left to use. :lol: ummmmmmmmmmmmmm :lookaroun ok maybe that isnt funny. (a 1966 GTO runny on electricity is a little scary as well)

while they are at it (the monorail expansion) why not just expand the darn thing all the way up to bham, and pick my butt up. im mean, ill be nice to the driver on the way back down, ill keep him company, ive got a cooler big enough for a party

Invero

(The following was copied from a post I wrote in a previous thread... I've written enough of these things, from now on, it's copy & paste)

When I was at Pop Century, we had a beanie baby horse, and whenever a special topic would come out, we'd just whack that thing to death. (ie: beating a dead horse) I feel the same phenomenon here.

Now before I go on, I'd like to let those who may not know me know that I am a former monorail pilot, a member of the Monorail Society, and an avid monorail enthusiast. I have also worked for Disney Transport for a total of 3.5 years. I know what I am talking about.

Anyways...

FACT: Expanding the monorail system would cost $600m to ONE BILLION DOLLARS. Not cheap, folks. $75-$110 million per mile for track, not including switches or stations. $25m per train. You do the math. It adds up quickly.

FACT: Monorails are NON-REVENUE GENERATING. There would be ZERO return on this enormous investment. People do not come to Disney for the sole purpose of the Monorail.

FACT: Fixed guideway systems are NOT flexible. Disney Transport *REQUIRES* flexibility in transporting our guests. Fixed guideway systems may work GREAT in urban environments. Disney is not one of these places. We need a system that can expand and contract to current guest flow, and can be re-routed at the drop of a hat.

FACT: Guests want a DIRECT (and preferably NON-STOP) mode of transportation. Quite frankly, they could care less if it was monorails or a bus, as long as it was DIRECT. Transferring is NOT an option. (It should be noted that the opinions expressed on this board do not reflect the actual average of opinions of Disney guests.) If you had expanded the monorail, guests would potentially have to transfer once, if not twice. That's the problem with a fixed guideway system. It works in an urban environment, because people live there, and have time to get used to and learn the system. Not at Disney. I can't begin to tell you how BAFFLING the transfer from the Resort monorail to the Epcot monorail is for many guests. They don't like it, and many would rather have the direct bus which would require no transfer, and would be much faster.

FACT: If one were to expand the monorail, one would want to service the highest of the congestion areas, ie: Value Resorts. That would mean increasing the low priced rooms to a point where they would no longer serve as the great value they are currently. Park to Park travel is not great enough to warrant any expansion.

FACT: Walt Disney World properties are NOT designed with monorail expansion in mind. You can't just plunk down a monorail station just anywhere. And, you can't have stops as close together as you can with a bus, thus requiring guests to walk further than they already have to. Guests don't like that.

FACT: Diesel engines put out 80-90% less pollution than engines of just 5-10 years ago, and even newer diesel engines are even cleaner than natural gas burning engines. Newer engines get 4-5x the fuel economy as well. They are rock solid reliable, cheap to maintain, and last forever. Monorails are expensive to maintain, and the pollution is just at a different site -- the Power Plant. (On a side note, Diesel/Electric hybrids are a great idea, but it is still in its infancy. In 5 years, I'm sure they will have been improved enough to be placed into heavy duty service)

FACT: If a Monorail breaks down, the whole system is shut down. No one can pass the problem train. Hundreds of guests are inconvenienced. If a bus breaks down, it is quickly replaced by another bus. No other bus is inconvenienced.

The bottom line is this: YES, the monorail is cool. We know that. Is monorail expansion right for Walt Disney World? No. You may not like the bus, but they are currently the best way to get around Walt Disney World thanks to thier incredible flexibility. By the way, there are lots of folks out there that LOVE the bus, especially children. I get families on my bus all the time that just take a round trip on the bus, because thier kids want to go on one last bus ride before going home.

Invero

DME said:
Indeed, Diesel/Electric hybrid engines are a great idea. They combine two solid technologies to provide increased performance. However, at this time, the technology still needs work for the heavy-duty sector. Shouldn't be long, though.

On a side note, newer diesel engines get much better fuel economy than older engines. The newer engines can achieve 12-15+ mpg, versus 3-4mpg.

MagicMan17

JayDarkNight25-
Seeing as how this is a discussion forum and it's hard to carry on a discussion by just reading an old thread, please feel free to start a new thread about anything, whether it's been talked about before or not. For some reason, there are people on here that just do not like it when you post something that has already been discussed. Here's my suggestion to those folks, if you don't want to read a thread or post to it, don't click on it.

Invero

Indeed, I understand your point. The majority of times, the whole search debate comes up when 10 people put up a new post about a news item in the same time period.

For this, I'm not sure whether its a matter of it's already been discussed, but rather one of, it's been beaten to a pulp and regurgitated dozens of times... pehaps a better discussion topic might be "What other forms of flexible mass transit is out there, and would it work for Disney."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom