Mom & Son & Restrooms

Yellow Shoes

I am off to the World with my 10 year old son.

Naturally, he is brilliant and level-headed like his mother. :lol: However, he is still 10 years old.

I have read that some of the park restrooms have 2 doors, and kids can get turned around and lost.

What I'm thinking about doing is having him wait while I go, then I will wait while he goes. That way I can make sure that I see him coming out, and I can rush in there (and, yes, I would do it) if he seems to be taking too long.

What do you think?
Do any of you have strategies for the opposite gender child situation?

Yes, I know there are family bathrooms, the baby care center (which he would be insulted to go into), restaurants, etc. But they are not always a viable option.

barnum42

I think at ten years old he should be OK and have enough sense to turn back the way he came if he goes out the wrong door - and may be a little embarrased at having his mother stand guard whilst he goes to the bathroom.

I think the only multi doored bathrooms are ones shared with some of the restaurants - such as PizzaFari in Animal Kingdom.

Upvote 0
By 10 years old I could definitely go to the bathroom by myself and be perfectly fine. Your son should do fine but I would recommend picking a meeting spot just in case.

Upvote 0

ILUVTHEMOUSE

I have two boys. My oldest is 9. I will not let him go into a men's restroom alone. Now I know this may seem extreme, but it is my opinion that it is not safe, especially for boys. This subject was brought up on another thread and I told a story about a 10 year old boy here in Ohio that went into a men's restroom(alone) in a Cracker Barrell restaurant and was molested.

I am not implying that this could happen at the parks but to me it's not worth the risk. My son does not like to go into the women's with me, but when my husband is not with us, he has no choice. If there are family restrooms available, we use them. If you are against taking him in with you, my suggestion would be to stand outside the men's room and wait for him. Just my two cents.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your son have a great time at Disney! :wave:

Upvote 0

maelstrom

That bathroom between Frontierland and Adventureland is the worst bathroom for this type of thing. Either avoid it, or make sure he knows if he went in from Adventureland or Frontierland, so he knows which side to come out!

Upvote 0

AEfx

In order to save your son some major therapy bills later in life, or at least teasing from other kids, let him go solo to the restroom. :)

In all seriousness, Disney is the safest place on Earth. If your child does get seperated from you, just tell them to find a cast member and you will be reunited in minutes. It's happened to be before - when I was about 10 I got seperated from my family and the Disney people were wonderful - I got stuffed full of popcorn and soda and then promptly returned to my family.

I don't think you will have a hard time at all - just tell your son where to meet you right outside the bathroom. Really, I wouldn't say it if I didn't believe it to be true - let him go ______ by himself. :)

AEfx

Upvote 0

Tramp

I'm not sure where they are all located, but there are "companion" bathrooms in the parks. I know for sure there is one located in the bathroom area of the Pirates of the Carribean. Maybe if you check with guest services they can point them out to you. :wave:

Upvote 0

JBSLJames

I have two little girls, ages 8 and 6. When the three of us go out somewhere, I make sure they go to the restroom as a team. If I have the younger one only, I wait outside the door until she is done. I give my 8 year old a little more freedom. As far as bringing them into the men's room, NOPE. To many questions would come of it. If the place looks dirty or a bit shady, we will find another place. I'd say, after 5 years old, the child is too old to go into the opposite gender's restroom.

Besides, there are things and sounds boys make in the bathroom that I would rather not have my two girls see/hear. . . :lookaroun

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I think I stopped taking my son into the ladies' room at around age 6, and stopped waiting outside the door at around 8. Before we go in, I locate a bench, planter, etc and tell him to WAIT RIGHT THERE for me!

Yes, children do get molested in public bathrooms. They also get molested by relatives, neighbors, and even somewhat older boys at school. Of course, I'd love to prevent it, but I also want him to be able to function in society.

BTW, I once read a report that said more boys are molested between the ages of 12-15 than younger!

I try to balance my protectiveness with my desire to lead him towards independence and self-reliance. That involves some risks.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Well, Yellow Shoes, I would say let him go alone. Generally the restrooms are so busy with people going in and out he should be fine. I took my nephew to go sleep outside on the streets of St.Louis to get in line for World Series tickets for the Cardinals (Ok we had to get a refund that year....) but he was 9 at the time and I walked him down to Tony's or the hotel across the street from Tony's as the restrooms at Busch Stadium were not open to the public to use the restroom and he had to go alone and was just fine. So i would certainly think WDW would be much safer. Don't stress about it now, just remind him to get in get things done, wash up and get back to the fun at WDW!

PS greetings from Godfrey!

Upvote 0

ladydancer

ILUVTHEMOUSE said:
I have two boys. My oldest is 9. I will not let him go into a men's restroom alone. Now I know this may seem extreme, but it is my opinion that it is not safe, especially for boys. This subject was brought up on another thread and I told a story about a 10 year old boy here in Ohio that went into a men's restroom(alone) in a Cracker Barrell restaurant and was molested.

I am not implying that this could happen at the parks but to me it's not worth the risk. My son does not like to go into the women's with me, but when my husband is not with us, he has no choice. If there are family restrooms available, we use them. If you are against taking him in with you, my suggestion would be to stand outside the men's room and wait for him. Just my two cents.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your son have a great time at Disney! :wave:

I am a grandma taking 2 of my grandkids to WDW next month. 12 year old granddaughter and 9 year old grandson. I feel the same as you about him going alone to the bathroom but I know I can't take him into the ladies restroom. He just wouldn't do it and he would be soooo embarrassed. I'm thinking since he loves to play with my walkie talkies, having him take it with him into the restroom. So If he doesn't come out as soon as I think, I can call him or if he has a problem he can call me. It isn't a foolproof plan but better than nothing.

Upvote 0

luvorlando

I think walkie talkies is a great idea for instances such as these.

Get a pair of the ones that vibrate to alert of an incoming call. You can take turns "buzzing" one another to let each other know you are alright, especially for those bathroom trips that take longer than some (if you know what I mean, lol).

The buzzing would be an alternative to the actual "mom's voice" in the men's room. :lol:

You could also both wear watches, and say if you are longer than x amount of minutes, I'm buzzing you.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

I was thinking walkie talkies too, and then I got to the bottom of the thread and found others were also. I think it is a good idea, that way he can have a little bit of freedom shopping and such.

My hubby and I keep them with us and on when we are not together, it saves tons of time trying to find the other person and getting mad when you can't. Even the air port and especailly shopping. I wouldn't go with out them. Used them last year with 12 year old niece too and that worked well, but hubby was concerned with her lossing her, she tends to do that. Get one with a good clip on it and lots of cannels.

Upvote 0

wdwforus

I have 2 daughters and always wait outside the door for them. One is almost 10 and the other is 8 and uses the ladies room ALOT. Disney was a nightmare, she had to go every 20 minutes it seemed. I dont care how old they are you in a strange place and you need to still keep an eye on them. My girls come out with a puzzled look on their faces if I am not in direct plain view and then light right up once they see that Daddy isnt far. Do what you think is best for your son and yourself and have a good time.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

My only advise is do what makes you comfortable. If you have doubts about leaving him along for too long, you should wait outside. It is not worth you being eaten up inside everytime you split up because you think you should wait outside instead. Enjoy your vacation and do what makes you comfortable. :)

Upvote 0

Woody13

luvorlando said:
I think walkie talkies is a great idea for instances such as these.

Get a pair of the ones that vibrate to alert of an incoming call. You can take turns "buzzing" one another to let each other know you are alright, especially for those bathroom trips that take longer than some (if you know what I mean, lol).

The buzzing would be an alternative to the actual "mom's voice" in the men's room. :lol:

You could also both wear watches, and say if you are longer than x amount of minutes, I'm buzzing you.
That would stop my elimination entirely! I would have to do my business on Splash Mountain!:p

Upvote 0

Kadee

The Mom said:
I think I stopped taking my son into the ladies' room at around age 6, and stopped waiting outside the door at around 8. Before we go in, I locate a bench, planter, etc and tell him to WAIT RIGHT THERE for me!

Yes, children do get molested in public bathrooms. They also get molested by relatives, neighbors, and even somewhat older boys at school. Of course, I'd love to prevent it, but I also want him to be able to function in society.

BTW, I once read a report that said more boys are molested between the ages of 12-15 than younger!

I try to balance my protectiveness with my desire to lead him towards independence and self-reliance. That involves some risks.
Very good advice....I agree completely!

Upvote 0

raven

Yellow Shoes said:
..and I can rush in there (and, yes, I would do it) if he seems to be taking too long.

Please don't do that. I have been in the restroom many times when mother's come wondering in and it's VERY embaressing for the men in there and the child as well.

Also as someone else explained, any child over the age of 5 is too old to go into a bathroom of the oposite gender. I've seen a 11 or 12 year old girl standing against the wall watching her father and everyone else standing to the side of the urinals. That's going to far! That does more harm than good in my opinion.

Upvote 0

mwc1996

I have 3 girls ages 7, 6, and 5 respectivly. I do on occasion take them out only with me. I never take them into the mens room with me. I will wait outside of the womens room for them because my mother did barge in to teh mens room when I was about 8 at a McDonalds because she thought I was taking too long (I had to do #2). It was incredibly embarassing for me. I would STRONGLY urge you not to do this to your child. It really can mess them up in the head. I understand the need to protect your children but at 10 years old you have got to let him have the freedom to go to the bathroom by himself. He could resent you for a very long time if you do not.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom