Moderate Vs VAlue resorts

pixie1115

WE are booked at a value resort, thinking of upgrading to a moderate. I don't think we will be in our room all that much but i still want some place decent and moderatly quiet to stay. Is there a big difference in value and moderate? Any moderates that are better than others?

DHH

If you are looking for a bed, a shower, and a place to store your clothes and luggage, then a value resort is the way to go. We have stayed at All Stars and Pop Century the only two times we stayed on property. Most every day, all day long we are at a park.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

I've stayed at POP, and I've stayed at POR. There are two primary benefits to the Moderate: bigger room, more amenities. If you plan to spend a significant amount of time swimming, boating, and/or relaxing in the room, go with a Moderate.

Upvote 0

go3epcot

Depends on your type of vacation. As stated, if you just need a place to crash and store your stuff, then go value. If you expect to relax and use the pool while enjoying the "feel" of a resort, then I would suggest a moderate- specifically Port Orleans Riverside. Yes, it is more $$, but it adds to the relaxation of the trip quite a bit. Again, it depends on what you are looking for in a vacation.

Upvote 0

Figments Friend

I have to second the above post...it says exactly what i would have said!

It really does boil down to what type of vacation you want to have, and how much time you are going to be staying on the hotel property. I personally spend very little time ( only a brief spurt in the morning, then late at night in the evening when i return to sleep). For me, the Value Resorts are a perfect match. I never use the pools ( though i enjoy looking at them) and i don't use any of the facilities that Moderates offer as extras. I basically just need a place to crash at night, a shower for the morning, and a quick breakfast. Value Resorts fullfill this perfectly for my needs. However, if i wanted a little more then that, and wanted to take a day or two to just relax at the hotel and explore other options, i would probably try a Moderate or maybe higher.

Value Resorts do tend to be full of families ( exspecially ALL Star Sports and Movies...) so if hearing and seeing kids running amok early in the morning when you are trying to wake up while having breakfast in the Food Court, it might not be your thing. I read a lot of negative reviews from people recently about the Values' Food Courts but i have to say that from personal expereince i think they are great for what they are. You get decent food prepared quickly and even if you go during the busy times ( mostly Breakfast hours) the lines tend to move quick enough.

The way i see it, the Values' give you everything all the other On-Property hotels offer Disney-Benefits wise but at half the cost. You only get "shortchanged" if you are the type of vacationer that likes all the bells and whistles of a high end hotel resort. For those that just want to basics, Values' are IT!

Hope this helped some!

:wave:

Upvote 0

NeedABreak

My wife and I stayed at POR for our honeymoon and loved it. We have also stayed at POP and enjoyed our stay.

Really when we went for the honeymoon we wanted to walk around the resort and be in a romantic setting, POR fit the bill. On a normal trip we want to get in from PI and go to sleep so we can be at park opening in the morning.

I would go with Value resort (POP is my fav). You got everything you need, its super clean, food court is right in the lobby. What else do you need?

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
If you're not going to be in your room that much, then definitely stay at a Value (I recommend Pop myself). There is no reason to pay for amenities you don't think you're going to use.

I've always found Pop to be my ideal resort. Check in was always efficient, and in the mornings it's a short walk to the food court for breakfast, then right out to the park buses. Very, very easy.

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: I always have a problem with this one. when we were there in Dec. we were staying at POP and it got so noisy for us we switched to POR the last couple nites and was very peaceful. This coming Dec. I booked at POR for that reason. Now, I think I should have stayed with POP cause of the money you could spend on other things.:lookaroun We also love POP, usually. Its a really neat resort. we dont use the pools, however, we like to sit there and read or watch people swim, etc. just to kinda relax. POR we can stroll around or ride the boat to DTD. that is sooo relaxing. whichever you do, you are in the Disney magic and thats all that matters!!!

Upvote 0

bsandersjr

We have stayed at both value and moderate resorts. The biggest difference for me, is that the moderate resorts have hot tubs by the pool. I love getting back from a long day at the park, and relaxing in the hot tub for an hour or so.
Also, if my memory serves me right, the mods have two sinks, a mini fridge, and bigger rooms.
It really just depends on what you are looking for, as stated above. If you just want somewhere to sleep, and store your stuff, go with a value.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I suggest you way your options and decide what is most important to you.
Price
Proximity to the parks
Room size
Values have a food court VS Moderates with a food court and a sit down (with the exception of French Quarter which only has a food court)
Moderates have the free refridgerator
You can control the temp and have a ceiling fan in a moderate also.
Transportation
While Pop has it's own dedicated bus, please remember that the All Stars share a bus. POR and FQ share buses also. I do beleive that CBR and CS have their own buses.

Good luck!

Pam

Upvote 0

MickeyTigg

If you are looking for a bed, a shower, and a place to store your clothes and luggage, then a value resort is the way to go. We have stayed at All Stars and Pop Century the only two times we stayed on property. Most every day, all day long we are at a park.

It also depends on your party size....anything more than 2-3 people, I'd recommend a value for nothing else for the extra room. The Value rooms are pretty snug.

Upvote 0

dazzer68

we always stay at value, they feel more disney to me!
the only downside is the buses are always full and never enough of them (if your not driving) especially movies as its the last on the route.other than that they are great fun, great value,easy, have everything you need,oh dining is a bit basic,i would do that at the parks if you can!

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

Pixie,

WE are booked at a value resort, thinking of upgrading to a moderate. I don't think we will be in our room all that much but i still want some place decent and moderatly quiet to stay. Is there a big difference in value and moderate? Any moderates that are better than others?

I have stayed at a deluxe(AKL), a moderate (CBR), and All Stars and Pop. To me, the mods add very little value for the extra money. Ask yourself these questions:
Are you appalled by the food court at your mall? If so, you won't like Values.
Do you plan to do any recreational boating? If so, Moderates may be for you.
Is a Hot Tub a special treat that you enjoy, but usually don't have access to at home? If so, the mods may be your move.

Now, also ask yourself these questions:
Is WDW Bus service important to you? If so, go with Pop. It just has one Bus Stop, that is fairly centraly located. Buses at Allstars and CBR often make multiple stops, slowing the whole commute process. (unsure about Port O)
Where have I stayed at the Disney resort before? Will the value be a let down?
Am I willing to walk an extra 50-100 yards to have quiet? Don't pay extra for a preffered Value room near pools and food court. Request a standard room away from pools, fourth floor is best.

Just my opinion. If I was going to go up from 100/night to 175/ night to stay at a moderate, I would just go ahead and stay at deluxe, and try and find a way to get it at a discounted rate,sometimes as low as 200.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Boiled down, here are the differences between Moderates and Values:

Moderates' rooms are 314 square feet (except for CBR's, which are 340 sq. ft.). Values' rooms are 260 square feet. The difference between 314 sq. ft. and 260 sq. ft. is roughly the area of two double beds.

Moderates' rooms have free refrigerators. Values' rooms don't, and if you want one you have to pay for it -- I think it's up to $12 or $15 per night.

Moderates' main pools have a pool slide, as well as a separate Jacuzzi in the general area of the pool. Values don't have pool slides or Jacuzzis.

Moderates have a table-service restaurant (except for POFQ, which shares with POR) and a food court. Values have only a food court.

Moderates offer 24-hour on-demand Bell Services. Values have Luggage Assistance, which is done on a schedule.

Moderates have lush landscaping. Values have more hardscaping.

The bus stops at the Moderates are covered, shielding you from sun and rain. The bus stops at the Values are uncovered.

I DISAGREE that Moderates have better and more convenient locations within WDW than Values do. Pop Century is right next door to Caribbean Beach Resort, which means it's as close to MGM as can be. And the All Stars are so close to AK they can probably smell the manure from there.

I've never stayed at a Value. I've stayed twice at CBR and once at POFQ. POFQ is my favorite, but I still LOVE LOVE LOVE CBR.

Upvote 0

dazzer68

Boiled down, here are the differences between Moderates and Values:

Moderates' rooms are 314 square feet (except for CBR's, which are 340 sq. ft.). Values' rooms are 260 square feet. The difference between 314 sq. ft. and 260 sq. ft. is roughly the area of two double beds.

Moderates' rooms have free refrigerators. Values' rooms don't, and if you want one you have to pay for it -- I think it's up to $12 or $15 per night.

Moderates' main pools have a pool slide, as well as a separate Jacuzzi in the general area of the pool. Values don't have pool slides or Jacuzzis.

Moderates have a table-service restaurant (except for POFQ, which shares with POR) and a food court. Values have only a food court.

Moderates offer 24-hour on-demand Bell Services. Values have Luggage Assistance, which is done on a schedule.

Moderates have lush landscaping. Values have more hardscaping.

The bus stops at the Moderates are covered, shielding you from sun and rain. The bus stops at the Values are uncovered.

I DISAGREE that Moderates have better and more convenient locations within WDW than Values do. Pop Century is right next door to Caribbean Beach Resort, which means it's as close to MGM as can be. And the All Stars are so close to AK they can probably smell the manure from there.

I've never stayed at a Value. I've stayed twice at CBR and once at POFQ. POFQ is my favorite, but I still LOVE LOVE LOVE CBR.

i think the landscaping is quite lush at value! i think its the surf pool very lush! and the bustope are covered just stand behind the ALLSTAR....signs instead on infront of them! and any way hardly worth paying extra for!

Upvote 0

3fordisney

All my trips to WDW, except for my first trip in 1990, we stayed at a value resort. I have been to each one once and will visit POP again in April. I really enjoy the values, because we are not in our room for long. I think the food courts are great because you don't have to dress up for a sit down meal or have to change after a day at the park to go get something to eat or get a dessert. I'm not big on food court meals at the mall, but the ones at the values are very good. There is something for everyone and we are a family of picky eaters!

We have never had a problem with noise and the rooms are very clean. If you are the type who wants more of a resort vacation, you may want to consider a moderate. I've had family who frequents WDW as well and they have stayed at a moderate once. They haven't done so since. They prefer the values. It wasn't a big enough difference for them to pay more to stay at a moderate.

Its personal perference. If you like to lounge around a hotel room while on vacation and do the rec stuff at WDW, go for a moderate. If you like to do spend all day at the parks and use the room as a place for sleep and brief rest spots, go for a value. We love the values and don't plan on staying anywhere else. I'd rather spend the extra money on other things like character meals and my son than on the room itself.

Hope this helps!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom