Mobile phone usage on dark rides

joejccva71

Original Poster
If you were at a public movie and someone beside you was on thier phone texting or talking through the movie would you ask them to stop?
I certainly would - - - Same thing applies to a ride or a show.

Yea, I mean if people don't like it when I ask them then too bad. If I'm spending a lot of money to go to see these attractions and some 20 year old thinks Haunted Mansion is boring so she'd rather text her friend on the phone then I will say something. Like I said, if people are on their phone in line trying to book their next FP or even Vlogging or texting or whatever, no problem. But on a dark ride where it's "attraction time" or "immersion time", phones, ipads, iphones, flash cameras are off.

Also, people should realize that on a dark ride, flash photos won't look right anyways lol.

JohnD

So I have to ask before I take my Disney World trip. Do people (mainly teens and young adults) get on their phones during the indoor dark rides and ruin the experience and immersion for others? How often does this happen? Has this ever happened to you? Did you say something?

Will they throw you in cell phone jail if you rip the phone out from their hands and throw it against the wall?

I'm fine with people that do vlogs of their trip, but when it's time to get on a dark ride, the last thing I wanna see is the light of someone's phone continuously on during the entire ride where it's a complete distraction and ruins the attraction for me.

Or are people going to tell me "better get used to it"? Just want to know what to expect.

All too often. Whether bored teens staring into their phones or another guest using their phone as a camera with the flash on (which, of course, annoys other guests and results in a washed out useless photo for the guest).

JohnD

I’ve always had more issues with people using flash photography, which is more annoying to me.

Also, you might not even run into this depending on the ride. It might be more frustrating on something like Pirates, but some like HM’s vehicles are a little better with focusing your view on the scene.

Happened to me on Pirates. Grr.

Jedi Stitch

Posted this before, but someone took a call in the middle of Star Tours.
My boss called me while I was on Vacation at WDW. I flatly told him that I could not even comprehend the question pertaining to work he just asked me, that my mind has been sucked out and I'm just having fun.

thomas998

So I have to ask before I take my Disney World trip. Do people (mainly teens and young adults) get on their phones during the indoor dark rides and ruin the experience and immersion for others? How often does this happen? Has this ever happened to you? Did you say something?

Will they throw you in cell phone jail if you rip the phone out from their hands and throw it against the wall?

I'm fine with people that do vlogs of their trip, but when it's time to get on a dark ride, the last thing I wanna see is the light of someone's phone continuously on during the entire ride where it's a complete distraction and ruins the attraction for me.

Or are people going to tell me "better get used to it"? Just want to know what to expect.

People do it... they get lots of worthless video that looks like crap because a typical cell phone doesn't do well on a dark ride shooting video... But on most rides it really won't bother you. The worst ride for it is Pirates, Na'vi and Dinosaurs... mostly because you are stuck in a car/boat with other people so when someone starts shooting video with their cell phone it is much more likely to be in you field of view.

In other rides like Haunted Mansion the phones tend to be so far away that they aren't a big problem.

Where they tend to be a bigger issue is outdoor shows/parades where the odds of having some idiot in front of you holding up there cell phone during the whole show goes up dramatically.

While I have felt like yanking a phone and tossing it in the water, I have managed to control my impulses in part due to the fact that you would likely end up arrested which would really ruin your trip. If you have a camera with a good flash just take it and when they start taking photos take some photos of them the flash in the face is your best method of sending them a message to turn the cell phone off.

danyoung56

If you have a camera with a good flash just take it and when they start taking photos take some photos of them the flash in the face is your best method of sending them a message to turn the cell phone off.

Isn't that on the passive-aggressive side? I would rather choose the direct approach - "Hey, would you mind not doing that any more?"

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Why pay hundreds upon thousands of dollars to go to disney to ride a rode while staring at your phone... I just don't get it.

If you don't want to ride something and be invested while riding it, then why go on it at all.

The only ride where this is acceptable, in my opinion, is after the first scene of It's a Small World. You get the jist of it by then.

SyracuseDisneyFan

I was at Disney World in 2008, and I was on Ellen's Energy Adventure. I heard my cell phone ring. My former job coach, who seemed to lack people skills and common courtesy, had called me and left me a voicemail saying that she made an appointment to go somewhere when I got back. The appointment was made without any input from me. Rude!

LukeS7

On our last trip in January of last year, one of the boats in front of us in POTC was taking flash photography about every 10 seconds for the entire ride. I walked up to the attendant at the front of the ride when we got off and explained the situation and asked if there was any way we could get a fastpass to come back after our ADR lunch. They actually gave us the fastpass to come back (which I wasn't expecting, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask).

Tl;dr: Yes, it happens all the time, just pray it's only the screens and not the flashes

Elfinko

I hate it, but I also like to watch Periscope streams of rides when people are in Disney. Guess I can't have it both ways ;)

LeighM

The cell phones bother me less than the large tablets some people use to record videos and take pictures. It's such a large, bright screen and it's really distracting! There was one time on Under the Sea when there was someone abusing the flash (which I don't understand because the pictures typically look horrible) and I flashed them with my camera. They got the message and put the phone away.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

On a recent trip to DL, the woman in front of me on Pirates proceeded to play Clash of Clans on her phone for nearly the entire journey. At least she had the good sense to put it down during the drops....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

spock8113

To the phone addicts: off, off off. Or at least turn down the screen brightness.

I still use a video camera and will only use the viewfinder to look thru rather than open up that bright LCD screen.
The camera has night shot so nobody is bothered.

Honestly. my videos look like everyone elses and there's no Gotcha exclusive here.
Do we all think we'll get a big check for our video?
I filmed the kids reactions on the rides and also watch with my own eyes.

Walt Disney1955

I have to be honest, when we last went I went into the Country Bear Jamboree with two of my kids (my wife was getting food with our other one) and at the beginning of the show there was this 40 year old guy sitting next to us texting on his phone. I know what I am about to say next might make people think I was rude but I did it anyway. I nudged his shoulder. He looked over and wasn't sure what to make of it but he turned his phone off. Hey, I'm sorry, but I am trying to enjoy the show and you are distracting me with your phone. It is no different than in a movie theatre. But that's me.............

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom