Mobile phone usage on dark rides

joejccva71

Original Poster
So I have to ask before I take my Disney World trip. Do people (mainly teens and young adults) get on their phones during the indoor dark rides and ruin the experience and immersion for others? How often does this happen? Has this ever happened to you? Did you say something?

Will they throw you in cell phone jail if you rip the phone out from their hands and throw it against the wall?

I'm fine with people that do vlogs of their trip, but when it's time to get on a dark ride, the last thing I wanna see is the light of someone's phone continuously on during the entire ride where it's a complete distraction and ruins the attraction for me.

Or are people going to tell me "better get used to it"? Just want to know what to expect.

Disney4family

We've always experienced it. We feel it's worse than before. I honestly dread going on Under the Sea because that seems to be the worst ride for this. If you hear someone wigging out on flashers on that ride in about 6 months, it's my daughter. She gets them to stop, though.

I honestly don't know why people are on rides anymore. Half are so busy filming it, they don't see/experience it (if that makes sense). Another part of them are on their phones not looking up at all. The last group just plain flat out talks to each other and has a conversation as if they're at home. (People on IASW who sat behind us - that's for you. And shame on you for teaching your children how to be rude and talk throughout the whole ride, too.)

Why are you there? What kind of memories did you make? What will you tell others about WDW when you get home? I can only imagine. So - "better get used to it?" Yeah. Unfortunately so. As we've seen society change in general & I know I've seen changes in 25 years of teaching, today's Guest is different as well.

It's nice knowing that others who do get it are out there. Just go and have a magical time. Don't let it ruin your experience. Enjoy every bit of pixie dust you can get while you're there. Maybe someone here will set up a Remind on the app and we can always have a big group hug in the Hub.

NickMaio

There are a lot of threads about this - - - its a huge issue-
I have made numerous posts myself - I totally agree with you.

It is a reflection on our societal values and how they have changed - what is acceptable vs non.

courtesy vs selfishness - - - - You could probably write a thesis about cell phones on dark rides at Disney :)

I have personally noticed that this issue get worse every single year we have gone.
Lately its children on tablets watching movies/shows on rides............totally jaw dropping - I just don't get it - and probably never will.

All you can do is politely ask them to turn the device off :( - Its a shame that we need to ask in the first place.

StarWarsGirl

I honestly don't think it's that big an issue. I notice a lot of people on their phones while waiting in line, which I myself do, because waiting in line is boring, even at Disney, and also an opportune time to get on your phone and check that next FP. But then they seem to put it away once they get on the ride.

Even so, unless it's supposed to be pitch black as part of the scene, it really does not affect my experience of the ride. I also don't judge because I have no clue what they're doing. I've texted my mother before on a ride so she doesn't worry about where I am or so she can meet me outside the ride. Then I put my phone away. I do it discretely, and I'm not apologizing for it, so I'm not judging others when they use their phone.

I've also noticed when I've taken out my phone on ocassion that there's little to no signal on the ride. So I can't imagine much more than a quick text can happen on a ride.

There's way worse guest behaviors than texting on a ride. Talking incessantly on a ride, smoking in a non designated area, yelling at CMs...just to name a few.

Animaniac93-98

The only way this is going to get better is if Disney has pre-recorded messages (in English, Spanish & Portuguese) in the queues and boarding areas telling guests not to. In my experience, people are less likely to do so if told before hand. They don't on things like Mermaid and Pirates (do they on Frozen?).

Ricky Spanish

Kinda makes me feel like this.......
1517358362341.png

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Will they throw you in cell phone jail if you rip the phone out from their hands and throw it against the wall?
That's considered battery, unlawful conversion, and probably damaging private property. Should you decide to do this, expect to meet at least a few of WDW's security staff, and maybe even a couple of Orange County Deputy Sheriffs.

That said, yeah, it's as annoying as being stuck in It's A Small World for an hour, and your best course of action is to bring it to the attention of CMs working the ride, letting them know that the bright screens made it next to impossible for you to enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

mousehockey37

So I have to ask before I take my Disney World trip. Do people (mainly teens and young adults) get on their phones during the indoor dark rides and ruin the experience and immersion for others? How often does this happen? Has this ever happened to you? Did you say something?

I'm fine with people that do vlogs of their trip, but when it's time to get on a dark ride, the last thing I wanna see is the light of someone's phone continuously on during the entire ride where it's a complete distraction and ruins the attraction for me.

Or are people going to tell me "better get used to it"? Just want to know what to expect.

Get ready you're gonna see it... a lot. I had someone screw around with a flash on Under the Sea, I took my camera, up over top the clam shell and hit'em with a flash. It stopped.

We've had the HM ambiance ruined. There's nothing that can honestly be done that will stop it.

Good luck, get ready for it.

GVentola

...Or you may have no problems at all! I go to the theme parks several times a year, being an Orlando resident and pass holder, and I seldom see it. (Note: I am not discounting the other posts here. I thoroughly believe you and guess I've just been lucky--either that, or unobservant!) Once on the original Test Track, some guy was on his phone nearing the anti-lock brakes demo, and that really annoyed me. I didn't hear what he was talking about, though, and this didn't last throughout the entire ride. Once, many, many years ago, it was my Mom and I who were the problem. We kept talking during the old Rio del Tiempo ride. I hope we didn't ruin the ride for the other people in the boat. I don't think I'd do it again, though, I know better now.

GVentola

PS: What really bugs me about other riders is their leaving trash behind in the ride vehicle. I have a phobia of trash and it's so gross to have to ride with it beside me or at my feet. This happens to me more often than having to put up with cell phone calls.

Jedi Stitch

Lol watch this video at the 9:09 mark.

Yep. Fomo keeps the people linked in to the phone. It does happen if they are near you and you can easily politely ask them to put away or darken the brightness, then do so. Mostly the flash photography is usually the worst. seams some people think filming with a huge Ipad is not distracting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom