Mobile phone usage on dark rides

G00fyDad

I've said it before. Do what I do. Carry a small focused LED flashlight and when someone is taking flash photos just shine this in their eyes and they should get the hint. Be warned, I have had the occasional "tough guy" get in my face for doing it. Pretty funny as I am 6' 4" and big myself. I just tell them that is what they were asking for and walk away laughing. If they are going to ruin the ride then at least I am getting a little enjoyment out of it.

Brer Oswald

I’m someone who’s been on many rides multiple times, and if possible, I record or take pictures in a way that doesn’t impact the experiences of other guests on the attraction. I never use flash, and attractions that depend on the darkness, like Haunted Mansion, I don’t pull out my phone at all.

Disney Loving Swede

Several occasions i have been on rides and shows where people are streaming on Facebook, YouTube. It is quite irritating.

On Small World we were in the back of the boat of a with a large group...one in front of me was live streaming the whole time and then another got bored and start watching videos on his phone...with the sound on...I really don't get how self absorbed people are

harryk

You are witnessing a generation of individuals who had parents that did not get the parenting class, i.e. discipline, that they needed as they grew up. How can they teach their children when they were not taught themselves? We are appalled when we see the harshness discipline of the 1930's and 40's, - but those generations cared about those around them. Now we see the 'me' generation and the results where individuals have no care of those around them and it is all about themselves (and how many selfies they can take). Management at WDW does not see a problem, they are the problem. If management cared about the experience the 'guests' are receiving they would stop the unwanted lights in the 'dark' rides.

LukeS7

You are witnessing a generation of individuals who had parents that did not get the parenting class, i.e. discipline, that they needed as they grew up. How can they teach their children when they were not taught themselves? We are appalled when we see the harshness discipline of the 1930's and 40's, - but those generations cared about those around them. Now we see the 'me' generation and the results where individuals have no care of those around them and it is all about themselves (and how many selfies they can take). Management at WDW does not see a problem, they are the problem. If management cared about the experience the 'guests' are receiving they would stop the unwanted lights in the 'dark' rides.
I find that the "no care of those around them" is moreso a cultural shift than a generational shift. On our last trip, I saw just as many lights in rides from those who looked over 40 as those who looked below 20. Also, when I used to lifeguard, there were just as many disrespectful adults as there were disrespectful children.

drizgirl

I find that the "no care of those around them" is moreso a cultural shift than a generational shift. On our last trip, I saw just as many lights in rides from those who looked over 40 as those who looked below 20. Also, when I used to lifeguard, there were just as many disrespectful adults as there were disrespectful children.
The kids had to learn it somewhere. The rude adults were probably the parents of the rude kids.

Disney Loving Swede

Oh there was definitely a range of ages....and if lights aren't bad enough I don't understand why people don't use headphones, especially when dining in a restaurant and then go off on you if you ask them to turn it down or use headphones. Even my husband was baffled on this trip.

LeighM

I had mentioned in another post about the roughness of that parenting. I experienced it myself even though I was born in the early 80s. I was raised by my Grandmother (born in 1918) and my Mom (born in 1944). Spanking and such never really did anything to correct me. But public humiliation did LOL. Which they did not hesitate to use whenever I was misbehaving. And if I was misbehaving some place they couldn't really correct me (such as church), and they told me "just wait until we get home," then I knew I was in for a very unpleasant ride home :joyfull: My grandma was definitely old school! Saying "ma'am", "sir", "thank you", and "you're welcome" were not negotiable. And if I didn't say it to an elder, I got a little slap upside my head to remind me :)

geekza

I took over 1200 pictures during our last visit. Only a handful were actually on rides. The pictures from the rides simply don't capture the moment in any meaningful way and rarely turn out good, so I don't even bother.
My thoughts exactly. Pretty much every aspect of every attraction has been documented in photos and videos that are available online and are of better quality that I could ever get with my phone. Pictures and video of my family in the parks are going to be cherished long after random, underexposed photos of an AA figure are deleted and forgotten. I'd much rather have the full experience of the attraction than to waste valuable time fiddling with a phone or camera.

harryk

Would it not be so great that people enjoyed the full experience of WDW instead of taking pictures and missing what is happening around them. How many pics of the stage shows in the evening, dark ride photos, fireworks can you take and then tell someone how wonderful it was? Really?!? -- you were taking pics and not watching the event or whatever..... Did you really see your child? Did you really enjoy the experience with your child or whoever came with you? Don't tell me you did -- you took pictures and did not enjoy the experience with them.

drizgirl

Would it not be so great that people enjoyed the full experience of WDW instead of taking pictures and missing what is happening around them. How many pics of the stage shows in the evening, dark ride photos, fireworks can you take and then tell someone how wonderful it was? Really?!? -- you were taking pics and not watching the event or whatever..... Did you really see your child? Did you really enjoy the experience with your child or whoever came with you? Don't tell me you did -- you took pictures and did not enjoy the experience with them.
Why don't you worry about your own enjoyment of the parks and leave everyone else to enjoy it in the way they choose? They absolutely should not use bright screens or flash in a dark environment, but beyond how they impact you, I'm not sure why it matters to you how someone else spends their day in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom