MLS coming to WDW

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Teams knocked out of the tourney are gone. Rest of teams are in the Swan.

1596071340256.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

_caleb

It’s a shame, really. MLS proved that the bubble tournament format can work really well. Why not stick with this approach? They could adapt and adjust a bit—maybe have regional commentators calling the “home” games, a better approach to virtual fans, and move the bubble to a different location? It just seems strange that they’d go the route of MLB—we see how that’s working out so far.

Ben_since_1971

It’s a shame, really. MLS proved that the bubble tournament format can work really well. Why not stick with this approach? They could adapt and adjust a bit—maybe have regional commentators calling the “home” games, a better approach to virtual fans, and move the bubble to a different location? It just seems strange that they’d go the route of MLB—we see how that’s working out so far.
I am sure they would love to, but it would cost money they just don’t have. A lot cheaper to have players staying in their own homes. Also add in the additional time away from family for the duration of a regular season as is being talked about. At least with NBA and NHL, you want to stay as long as possible. With MLS, what incentive do teams at the bottom of the table have to compete when they know they are playing out the string in the bubble? At least in local markets those players can go home.

_caleb

I am sure they would love to, but it would cost money they just don’t have. A lot cheaper to have players staying in their own homes. Also add in the additional time away from family for the duration of a regular season as is being talked about. At least with NBA and NHL, you want to stay as long as possible. With MLS, what incentive do teams at the bottom of the table have to compete when they know they are playing out the string in the bubble? At least in local markets those players can go home.
Yeah, I didn’t mean to paint the bubble tournament approach as an ideal scenario. It’s surely been difficult for the players and their families.

I’d be interested to see how costs compared between bubble and local markets. I know these teams’ primary revenue stream is ticket sales, but surely there is a lesson to learn from MLB.

gerarar

Premium Member
The tournament as a whole was not really successful. The amount of viewers remained the same as normal MLS games pre-Covid. It didn’t boost the league’s viewership or ratings as it was first imagined and pitched when MLS would be the first major American Sports League to resume.

The bubble format IS successful, and the proof is with the NBA and MLS tourney. If there’s strict protocols and precautions in place, it can be done. It’s just a shame that it didn’t generate the viewers and $ the league was expecting and too costly in the end.

Us fans love the format of this tourney and hope it would become an annual thing — with location tbd of course.

_caleb

The tournament as a whole was not really successful. The amount of viewers remained the same as normal MLS games pre-Covid. It didn’t boost the league’s viewership or ratings as it was first imagined and pitched when MLS would be the first major American Sports League to resume.

The bubble format IS successful, and the proof is with the NBA and MLS tourney. If there’s strict protocols and precautions in place, it can be done. It’s just a shame that it didn’t generate the viewers and $ the league was expecting and too costly in the end.

Us fans love the format of this tourney and hope it would become an annual thing — with location tbd of course.
There are lots of reasons for the steady viewership (rather than the hoped-for boost). I think one of them was having some games on ESPN, others on FS1, and others on TUDN and/or Twitter. It was hard to find the games. Also, the morning game times weren’t the best.

Why not keep tinkering with the bubble format rather than abandoning it for what we know is a more risky approach? A full season, played in rounds, with each round in a bubble (anywhere that can host, increasing regional ad revenues). Host them all on one network, but with commentators from each market calling the game.

21stamps

There are lots of reasons for the steady viewership (rather than the hoped-for boost). I think one of them was having some games on ESPN, others on FS1, and others on TUDN and/or Twitter. It was hard to find the games. Also, the morning game times weren’t the best.

Why not keep tinkering with the bubble format rather than abandoning it for what we know is a more risky approach? A full season, played in rounds, with each round in a bubble (anywhere that can host, increasing regional ad revenues). Host them all on one network, but with commentators from each market calling the game.

Oddly enough, the games (or at least most) weren’t on ESPN+ I think that hurt too.

The timing was perfect with the Champions League... my only complaint is the odd schedules and channels, especially the night time games, though I understand some of the game times.. overall I loved it!

21stamps

Go TIMBERS!
I loved the MLSisBack Tournament and really appreciated the bubble tournament approach. I’m glad Disney was able to host the event, and I hope there are more partnerships in the future!

I loved it, but looking forward for the games to go back to the team stadiums. Their local areas benefit from the revenue of match days.

_caleb

I loved it, but looking forward for the games to go back to the team stadiums. Their local areas benefit from the revenue of match days.
As with the Disney parks, they only make money if fans turn out. Guess we’ll find out soon enough!

21stamps

As with the Disney parks, they only make money if fans turn out. Guess we’ll find out soon enough!

We don’t have that problem in Cincinnati. Our new stadium isn’t even completed and already majority sold out.

It’s a good and bad thing.. I didn’t choose my season tickets for next year fast enough, and then got stuck with seat options that I didn’t want. I’m hoping to just buy individual games from season ticket holders who either can’t make a game, or bought extra tickets to make a profit, as long as it’s a reasonable one. 🤣

It’s going to be something amazing 🔸🔹

AA08E4D5-6F1F-448A-B16F-FE4DEF32B3B6.jpeg
B184D8F2-6AE0-4AD9-98F1-4F71604D6865.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom