mkt is going to DC!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Original Poster
update time... I just got my 2 $10 Metro Farecards in the mail, and I ordered 2 tickets to view the inside of the Washington Monument ($3.50... that's right... TREE FIDDY!).

What else... what else. Activities are getting there... working on a quasi itinerary, to have an idea on how things will work once there.

As far as getting from Dulles to the Hotel when we arrive... how's this sound?

Dulles - West Falls Church Metro Station on the Washington Flyer Shuttle.

Take the Orange Line to the Federal Triangle Metro Station. Once there, take a cab the remaining 1/3 mile to the hotel... or if the weather is nice... we'll walk.

Also... I need dining suggestions. We need 1 nice meal, and the rest can be done cheap. Suggestions are needed. Thanks!

imagineer99

Rob, for a nice restaurant, I would go to Kinkead's. Best food in all of DC, IMHO.
http://www.kinkead.com/

Other fancy, schmancy places you might want to consider:

The Occidental Grill
http://www.occidentaldc.com/

Zola (It's by the Spy Museum and the MCI center)
http://www.zoladc.com/

Citronelle (Never eaten their personally, but heard amazing things)
http://www.citronelledc.com/

For great Italian food, try Cafe Milano, alos located around Georgetown.
http://www.cafemilano.net/index2.html

For just a cool, but expensive dining experience, try:
Mie N Yu (Me and You). Located in Georgetown, which you should definitely check out.
http://www.mienyu.com/

That should get you started. Make sure to visit Georgetown and take a walk down by the waterfront there. It's a short, but really cool walk. They have many restaurants there (Sequoia comes to mind) that you can eat outside while watching the river.

Also, go to the top of the Hotel Washington at night for dessert and a drink (the food is nothing special). However, the view is probably the BEST in DC. Watching the monuments at night from above is beyond cool. In terms of views, it's like the "California Grill of DC."

Finally, of all the musuems, my favorite is by far the Spy Museum. It costs to get in, but it's worth it. DO IT!

Hope this helps. :wave: Maybe I'll see you walking around.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
alrighty... more info time. What's the weather like in Mid June?

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
alright... so I'll bring a parka and a pair of light shorts.. lol.

Raincoat or no raincoat... or umbrella... or nada?

TAC

mkt said:
alright... so I'll bring a parka and a pair of light shorts.. lol.

Raincoat or no raincoat... or umbrella... or nada?

In the Mid-Atlantic regions during the summer tend to be hot and humid, or if a front comes through, it can get pretty nice for a couple of days (low humidity, highs in the high 70's/low to mid 80s). If it's hot and humid, then there'll be a good chance of a thunderstorm.

Raincoat or umbrella? It depends on what you want to carry/stow in a backpack.

imagineer99

DC was built on a swamp. So, expect humidity. As the old adage goes, it's not necessarily the heat, but the humidity that kills ya' .

The don't call it foggy bottom for nothing...

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
so, I just rechecked my hotel confirmation. I love being a member of IC Ambassador... I've been upgraded from "Standard Room"... which in IC generally means the broom closet, to 1 King Bed Deluxe with View of Pennsylvania Ave towards Capitol and Washington Monument.

And I got front row on the flight there (Seats 1A and 1B)...

so far so good

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
here's a really bad shot of the view from my hotel room

Attachments

• DSC04252.JPG
    DSC04252.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 1

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
and I forgot to turn it correctly... back to my touristing now

Woody13

mkt said:
and I forgot to turn it correctly... back to my touristing now
Yeah, the pointy top with the red lights should be at the bottom of the photo! However, it's good to see you got a room so close to the red light district. :wave:

LilDucky

I actually just got back from DC yesterday, and even though the Weather Channel said it was supposed to rain, I didnt see a drop, even though I was actually praying for it! It was soooooo hot. I believe hotter than it was last year when we went around the same time! I guess I'm just not used to that much humidity... and used to more foliage. The heat around the mall was intense!

We went to the American History Museum (one of my favorites since I am a history major :animwink: ) and got to see the little Disneyland display they had. I was expecting to see a little more, but I'm not complaining since it served as a small Disney fix. They had a Dumbo (from the ride) and a teacup, as well as some attraction posters. It was small, but neat! All and all a great trip! Hope you have fun when you go!!! :D

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
here's todays random shot. The Spirit of St. Louis.

We're resting right now at our hotel before we venture over to the Museum of American History, and then dinner.

Attachments

• DSC04413.JPG
    DSC04413.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 2

Tim G

mkt said:
update time... I just got my 2 $10 Metro Farecards in the mail, and I ordered 2 tickets to view the inside of the Washington Monument ($3.50... that's right... TREE FIDDY!).

What else... what else. Activities are getting there... working on a quasi itinerary, to have an idea on how things will work once there.

As far as getting from Dulles to the Hotel when we arrive... how's this sound?

Dulles - West Falls Church Metro Station on the Washington Flyer Shuttle.

Take the Orange Line to the Federal Triangle Metro Station. Once there, take a cab the remaining 1/3 mile to the hotel... or if the weather is nice... we'll walk.

Also... I need dining suggestions. We need 1 nice meal, and the rest can be done cheap. Suggestions are needed. Thanks!

Are you shure you's going to DC just for the anniversary???

Me thinks you're going to run for senate...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom