MK's Tomorrowland '94 Design Influences

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
id like to see activity, be it tv screens with like the news (either alien or human but more of a futuristic look) and those ribbon displays (no idea real name) that could extend to all the buildings. Maybe have parade times, news, trivia.
View attachment 391353View attachment 391355

EPCOT Center had one ribbon display on the Communicore building during the early years as well, though I can't locate a photo right now

Last edited:

N2dru

It would have been intresting to see TRONmorrow land..
853111ab68649513104a0ee3f988f65b.png
Honestly that's probably where we are going!!

Smiley/OCD

They look and sound like a cross between the Osmonds, Tony DeFranco & the DeFranco family and Up with People!! LOL...Gotta love the lip-synching and the off beat clapping!! The Astro Orbiter looked so nice and clean! Paint them white!

Heppenheimer

Still miss the 70's ish motif..When they show the entrance way and show how bright it was...It felt clean...

It looked like a bad episode of Star Trek by the late 80s, however.

Watching that clip, it amazes me that anyone could possibly have nostalgia for the 70s.

Was the Astro Orbiter a new headline attraction or something? Seems like they were trying to emphasize it as much as possible.

Cmdr_Crimson

It looked like a bad episode of Star Trek by the late 80s, however.

Watching that clip, it amazes me that anyone could possibly have nostalgia for the 70s.

Was the Astro Orbiter a new headline attraction or something? Seems like they were trying to emphasize it as much as possible.

Not exactly...The special as shown called "Welcome to the World" was an Hour long TV Special for the Grand Opening of Space Mountain. A very strange and campy 70's special..And do you know how much time they spent on MK's mountain for this? The Last 10 minutes of it.....

ppete1975

Ye
EPCOT Center had one ribbon display on the Communicore building during the early years as well, though I can't locate a photo right now
i thought it was the camera center!! But i was 8. I always thought epcot should have them with newest science and medical news. Harkening back to what epcot was supposed to be...

BoarderPhreak

Steampunk would definitely describe Paris' vibe. Bronze, copper, gold colors tend to dominate.

The original WDW Tomorrowland was more 50's and 60's atomic/space ages. The overall, mostly white theme made sense at the time (think white Saturn V rockets, like the one smack dab in the middle of Astro Orbiter).

What followed to DL and WDW in 98 and 94, respectively, was an attempt to modernize a bit. Bolt on some neon, paint some bold colors and toss in a few gears and industrial looking stuff.

Now WDW Tomorrowland is returning a bit to its roots, but like the transformation in 94 - going the low tech route... By removing those gears and neon and painting things a new color (but mostly white). This also happens to match the theming of Tron well. Two birds with one stone, on the cheap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom