MK's Tomorrowland '94 Design Influences

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm starting this topic because I've heard a few people refer to it as "steampunk" which I believe is completely off the mark.

While there may be a very slight few things that could be called steampunk...metal pieces, gears, the spinning planets....none of the rest is Steampunk to me.

Discoveryland in Disneyland Paris is MUCH MUCH more steampunk, with influences of Jules Verne, HG Wells....basically science fiction of the turn of the 20th century. Much of it is designed with copper, brass colors, plus airships, steam power, propellers, of course the 20K submarine. Even the failed Anaheim Tomorrowland refurb was trying to be a bit more like this, but didn't quite get it right. If you look up "steampunk" in Google, you won't find much of anything that matches WDW's tomorrowland but does match Discoveryland.

WDW's Tomorrowland '94 has instead a lot of bold colors, some pastels, and a LOT of neon...some art-deco influences, so this to me could mean anything from 1930's to 1960's types of styles, the idealized future predicted in those old TV shows, comic books and movies.

I feel it is similar to the neon landscape depicted in the Horizons ride just before you go to the IMAX screens.

I don't know of a lot of direct influences on the style of '94 tomorrowland, so I'd love to see others input on this topic.

Smiley/OCD

I'm starting this topic because I've heard a few people refer to it as "steampunk" which I believe is completely off the mark.

While there may be a very slight few things that could be called steampunk...metal pieces, gears, the spinning planets....none of the rest is Steampunk to me.

Discoveryland in Disneyland Paris is MUCH MUCH more steampunk, with influences of Jules Verne, HG Wells....basically science fiction of the turn of the 20th century. Much of it is designed with copper, brass colors, plus airships, steam power, propellers, of course the 20K submarine. Even the failed Anaheim Tomorrowland refurb was trying to be a bit more like this, but didn't quite get it right. If you look up "steampunk" in Google, you won't find much of anything that matches WDW's tomorrowland but does match Discoveryland.

WDW's Tomorrowland '94 has instead a lot of bold colors, some pastels, and a LOT of neon...some art-deco influences, so this to me could mean anything from 1930's to 1960's types of styles, the idealized future predicted in those old TV shows, comic books and movies.

I feel it is similar to the neon landscape depicted in the Horizons ride just before you go to the IMAX screens.

I don't know of a lot of direct influences on the style of '94 tomorrowland, so I'd love to see others input on this topic.
I would agree with you...2 examples of steampunk at WDW would be the "basement" of ToT as you load into the elevators and the interior decor of the Edison at DS. Tomorrowland is too brightly "colored" to be considered steampunk. That would be dark, lots of rust and very industrial.

ObscurityPoint

Tomorrowland at WDW has much more of a sci-fi city theme, similar to one you’d see in 1950s comic books where aliens and robots live among humans. With the addition of TRON, we are seeing most elements of this theme fade away and being replaced with the sleeker, more futuristic overlay- a faithful call back to the original 1970s look and the design of TRON and Tomorrowland at Shanghai Disney.

Cmdr_Crimson

DL's Tomorrowland 98 was just trying too hard...The bronze and gold made it feel way to dark and depressing..
img0006.jpg

Whereas MK's had a 50's retro buck rogers-esque vibe to it..
5297e5d0d7e82de5c8fae09b78361fe1.jpg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
DL's seemed good in concept, I don't know if it was just the paint colors they chose or what, but it ended up being much more dystopian feeling (especially after rocket rods closed and the track was entirely empty)

rct247

I am a huge fan of the retro-futuristic view of Tomorrowland from 1994, but I can see how some changes should be made. I would have elected for two versions:

More 1950s/1960s Retro Future - The sleek lines would come back, but the atomic age / googie architecture can still be classic. There was so much optimism and predictions from that era that are just as fun as the 1930s/1940s take 1994 did.

Ultimately though, I think they should expand on the Alien/Sci-Fi city theme, but make it more like a Digital City one that is more video game, internet, and virtual reality influenced than one based out in outer space. Tron would fit, Wreck-It Ralph would fit, Buzz Lightyear would fit. The asthetics would be a mix of what you see in Wreck-It Ralph 2, Tron Legacy, and the movie Tomorrowland.

Heppenheimer

I believe the term for what Tomorrowland '94 aimed for was something along the lines of an idealization of "Googie architecture", or if you're familiar with Wildwood, NJ, "Doo-wap".

Of course, Disney formerly featured a ride that we might now consider "proto-steam punk" before the term was invented. That would be 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.... or how would members of this website confusingly abbreviate that, "20KLUS"?

ppete1975

I am a huge fan of the retro-futuristic view of Tomorrowland from 1994, but I can see how some changes should be made. I would have elected for two versions:

More 1950s/1960s Retro Future - The sleek lines would come back, but the atomic age / googie architecture can still be classic. There was so much optimism and predictions from that era that are just as fun as the 1930s/1940s take 1994 did.

Ultimately though, I think they should expand on the Alien/Sci-Fi city theme, but make it more like a Digital City one that is more video game, internet, and virtual reality influenced than one based out in outer space. Tron would fit, Wreck-It Ralph would fit, Buzz Lightyear would fit. The asthetics would be a mix of what you see in Wreck-It Ralph 2, Tron Legacy, and the movie Tomorrowland.
id like to see activity, be it tv screens with like the news (either alien or human but more of a futuristic look) and those ribbon displays (no idea real name) that could extend to all the buildings. Maybe have parade times, news, trivia.

Heppenheimer

id like to see activity, be it tv screens with like the news (either alien or human but more of a futuristic look) and those ribbon displays (no idea real name) that could extend to all the buildings. Maybe have parade times, news, trivia.
View attachment 391353View attachment 391355
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the photo on the left Toronto? As a kid, this city seemed like a real-world version of Tomorrowland to me (less so as an adult, though).

ppete1975

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the photo on the left Toronto? As a kid, this city seemed like a real-world version of Tomorrowland to me (less so as an adult, though).
hmmmm, I just did a google image search. and it appears that its part of an ad for a company that makes the screens.
here is Toronto though, including amazing led usage that Disney should totally steal ( weather, ride times etc)

Heppenheimer

hmmmm, I just did a google image search. and it appears that its part of an ad for a company that makes the screens.
here is Toronto though, including amazing led usage that Disney should totally steal ( weather, ride times etc)
View attachment 391364View attachment 391365
It would be a cool addition to Tomorrowland, but I fear the temptation to awkwardly shoe-horn in unwanted IP or adverts would be too great to pass up.

Now, whimsical retro-future fictional adverts would be a nice touch.

Oh, and I love that the Toronto airport pic has a Tim Hortons in it. Couldn't get more Canadian unless everyone was wearing toques and hockey sweaters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom