MK, wow.. you amaze me

montyz81

This isn’t relevant, as a power outage like tonight’s is fairly rare and can’t really be prevented. Complaining about extraneous circumstances that are out of Disney and CMs control is not helping anyone.
Redundancy can easily solve the "Can't be prevented" notion. If I can put a redundant power system on my house easily, then redundancy has got to be an easy thing for Disney to implement, especially with today's technology. I'd say a power outage not caused by a natural event is due to age and shouldn't be excused.

eliza61nyc

Pretty sure I didn't say that they did. Let me restate though.

You don't need to spend money on your cash cow if hundreds of thousands of people are still throwing their life / retirement savings at it annually.

Better? :hilarious:

lol, I thought that's why I worked like a dog for 30+ years so I could blow my money?

And actually that's what I have planned.

366 days until my retirement party at the Beach club villas.. so far I've got 16 yes rsvp's :p:p:joyfull:

eliza61nyc

I agree people should only spend on luxuries such as vacations after paying for all necessities and saving for retirement. The fact that so many people in this country are stupid in finances is not my fault nor is it Disney's. However, there was a study of those who attend themeparks, all themepark not just Disney and Universal and found the vast majority were in the top 1/3 of incomes. Disney goes after the top 20%, so does Universal
Disney has never been for the top 50%.

I wonder how the narrative that people who go to Disney are some how maxing out their credit cards, not saving etc etc? I guess it fits in with the fantasy that long ago everyone could afford a trip to the world. anyhoo I put all my vacations on my credit card, get the points, then pay it off at the end of the month. actually I put everything on my credit card, lol I have enough points on my American airlines reward card to pay for my ticket to Greece in September.

PortOrleans

lol, I thought that's why I worked like a dog for 30+ years so I could blow my money?

366 days until my retirement party at the Beach club villas.. so far I've got 16 yes rsvp's :p:p:joyfull:

It'll go by so fast then there's no turning back! There's so much to do and see out there, who knows what you'll end up experiencing! Just keep counting down those days. ;)

eliza61nyc

It'll go by so fast then there's no turning back! There's so much to do and see out there, who knows what you'll end up experiencing! Just keep counting down those days. ;)

Thanks PO, I've been a pretty frugal gal most of my life and I'm one of the lucky ones who still gets a pension so I decided that this would be my last year on the thread mill. Mix emotions are kicking in though, I've always worked so I'm a little nervous about what I'll do for hte rest of my life.

lol my sons think I should be a train conductor at the world....

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Well, you can't take it with you! :joyfull:

I wonder how the narrative that people who go to Disney are some how maxing out their credit cards, not saving etc etc? I guess it fits in with the fantasy that long ago everyone could afford a trip to the world. anyhoo I put all my vacations on my credit card, get the points, then pay it off at the end of the month. actually I put everything on my credit card, lol I have enough points on my American airlines reward card to pay for my ticket to Greece in September.

Remember the Disney Savings Accounts?

Po'Rich

Disney has never been for the top 50%.
(emphasis mine)
I know this is a side topic, but is this true? I only ask because I thought that Disney originally created Disneyland as a place where common people could go with their families. I hadn't read that Disney intended the parks only for the wealthy.

I'm just asking to clarify the original audience for the parks. If this opens up a can-of-worms regarding elitism and prices, then I will gladly withdraw the question.

eliza61nyc

Well, you can't take it with you! :joyfull:

Remember the Disney Savings Accounts?
OMG don't they still have it??

Unfortunately I've learned that lesson all to well, this was my partner in Disney crime, the love of my life for 30 years. He lost his battle with cancer 6 months after this picture. He wasn't 53.

captain nemo family.JPG

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

(emphasis mine)
I know this is a side topic, but is this true? I only ask because I thought that Disney originally created Disneyland as a place where common people could go with their families. I hadn't read that Disney intended the parks only for the wealthy.

I'm just asking to clarify the original audience for the parks. If this opens up a can-of-worms regarding elitism and prices, then I will gladly withdraw the question.

I think there are varying degrees of this argument. someone did a really nice chart that compared the rate of disney tickets prices vs, the rate of the cost of living.

I only went once when I was a kid and never went to Disneyland. I do remember that my parents definitely thought the cost of Disney was expensive.

There is an argument though that Walt did want his parks to be affordable. I don't know enough about Walt Disney at all to say.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
OMG don't they still have it??

Unfortunately I've learned that lesson all to well, this was my partner in Disney crime, the love of my life for 30 years. He lost his battle with cancer 6 months after this picture. He wasn't 53.

View attachment 346358
I'm sorry for your loss. :(

They got rid of the savings account a few years ago. They never managed it correctly so it was down more often than Test Track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom