MK TinkerBelle Zip-Line

daniel0581

Original Poster
People have been telling me different things about the CM that plays Tink "flying" from the Castle. I have hear that it is a guy that is dressed like Tink but I have also heard that the CM that does this can be no more than 90 LBS. So would someone mind explaining exactly how this is pulled off to find someone who is only 90 LBS?

Thanks

omgthatsfun

This forum http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=41253 seems to have a definite answer for this rumor. One woman states that a castmember told her that flying Tinkerbell is a very petite female who is well paid for her jumps. Others state that Tink may appear to be a man because she has to wear two harnesses and carry batteries for her LED lights.

Still, I don't know about the weight restrictions, although I imagine the CM should be petite but strong enough to carry the weight of the LED lights.

Mikester71

This forum http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=41253 seems to have a definite answer for this rumor. One woman states that a castmember told her that flying Tinkerbell is a very petite female who is well paid for her jumps. Others state that Tink may appear to be a man because she has to wear two harnesses and carry batteries for her LED lights.

Still, I don't know about the weight restrictions, although I imagine the CM should be petite but strong enough to carry the weight of the LED lights.

makes sense

mandakate

On the Keys to the Kingdom tour they told us that the weight restriction is 90lbs. They usually have a female Tink but it has been a man in the past.

bhealthy

They explain it pretty well on the Keys to the Kingdom tour. I'm pretty sure 90 lbs. was the weight limit. It's usually a girl (not too many men who weigh that). They do get paid well and don't perform during certain weather conditions for obvious reasons. They start at top of castle and go behind tomorrowland noodle terrace I think. That's it. Not a bad gig.

CP_alum08

Well, they definitely type cast for the CM's playing 'face characters' (people not dressed in the huge mickey, miney, etc. costumes) so I think Disney putting a weight restriction on that would be the same type of thing.

hokielutz

Tink CM essentially gets paid 8 hours, for only needing to be on property for 3-4 hours. And it is the highest paid CM character position.... mostly due to the hazardous nature of the job.

yes it is the keys to the kingdom tour that talks about the Tink job, and you see the landing area out behind main street.

Tom

Beta Return
Her weight is extremely important. If she weighs too much, she could gain too much momentum and slam into the padded barrier at the end of the run.

If she weighs too little, she might not have enough momentum to finish her journey (this is more embarrassing to her and Disney, than slamming into the mattress).

The CM weighs in each day to make sure she's within tolerances. They also monitor wind and other weather conditions. For example, if there is too much of a north-bound wind, it could keep her from getting all the way to her landing - and vice versa (similar to the concepts in paragraph 2).

Kobe!!

As a Disney Cast Member, I was told (not saying I'm right) Tink is played by a big male due to the fact that everyone would be able to see him.

Also, I was told that every time they "fly" they have to sign a waver saying that Disney is not responsible once they are out the castle window and if anything is to happen Disney is not reliable.

forbidden donut

Others state that Tink may appear to be a man because she has to wear two harnesses and carry batteries for her LED lights.

original.jpg

daniel0581

Original Poster
Has she ever dropped anything while she was in the air like a shoe or the wand or that wig? What does the landing pad look like?

keys to the kingdom said tink was a girl and under 90lbs... i also got the impression the person was very physically fit as they said sometimes TB would stop in the middle of the zipline and have to pull herself in...

pixiedust629

If she weighs too little, she might not have enough momentum to finish her journey (this is more embarrassing to her and Disney, than slamming into the mattress).

keys to the kingdom said tink was a girl and under 90lbs... i also got the impression the person was very physically fit as they said sometimes TB would stop in the middle of the zipline and have to pull herself in...

LOL :ROFLOL:
I have seen this happen. I feel like I'm spoiling the magic by even admitting it, but it was SO. FUNNY.

Tink is a fairy, guys... she's a girl, and she flies with her wings. And that line is just a direction for her incase she get firework pixie dust (from the light fairies) in her eyes while she flies. DUH.

But seriously when I saw her up close, she was a girl. And her costume is fancy and shiny-- probably to be easier to see!

RobParr77

Tinkerbell is usualy played by a woman, although there has been one instance in which a petite male was hired based off of his size and facial features. There is a total of 3 tinkerbells at any one time. 1 who is scheduled to play that day and the other 2 on call incase TB fails to meet tolerances. TB can not weigh any more than 95Lbs due to the fact that the battery pack / costume she wears increases her total weight to 135 - 140lbs. This all goes back to the weight tolerances for the zip line. The zip line is only so thick (as it is seen during the day and they wouldnt want it too be too thick as not to disrupt the "show" experience) and is only anchored to the castle and the landing platform behind Main Street. She climbs into position up a very tall ladder from the level where the Cinderella Suite (never finished WD apartment) at the top another CM will meet her, help attach her harness and conect her to the zip line, and also give her as hard a push as he can. The goal is to get her to the landing pad or atleast behind main street with just the push. If she fails to make it she has control of the battery pack must turn off her lights and then PULL herself in as quickly as possible.

It is also true that she gets paid the most of any other character as she is in the most dangerous job of all. Her contract comes from Actors Equity not Disney. It states that she must be paid for at least 8 hours work, must be paid hazard pay (due to heights she must climb / Fly) And in certain weather or potential weather she will not fly but must still be paid. On days where TB must fly twice she will be paid as if it is 2 seperate days. In return she must meet weight restrictions placed by Disney, she must be in the Park no later that 2 hours before flight (it takes one hour alone to climb into launch position and get rigged into the harness) She is to be onsite for atleast 4 hours incase show is postponed or canceled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom