MK bottleneck

sixbagelboy

Original Poster
I appreciate anything added to MK, however that has the potential to increase crowds. Currently after fireworks and at park closing Main Strret is way past capacity. How will Disney fix this issue if capacity is increased?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
There are two alternate backstage bypasses (parallel to Main Street) that are open when crowds are at peak levels.

The one used most often is located between the The Plaza Restaurant and the restrooms adjacent to Tomorrowland. Guests re-enter at Town Square, in between The Confectionery and Tony’s restaurant.

The second is located in-between Casey’s restrooms and First Aid. Guests re-enter Town Square next to the Trolley Barn.

Disney is well aware of capacity at closing and guest safety is paramount. If additional exits are needed, they will be built.

TrainsOfDisney

This is indeed an issue that needs to be addressed. Having 2 night parades is a good start, in addition to having late park hours so that the park doesn’t close with the fireworks.

The ultimate solution would be to build a new nighttime show in the back of the park and schedule it to start before and after fireworks (ala Fantasmic at Disneyland). That, along with many other things should have been part of the new fantasyland expansion.

DisneyFanatic12

In addition to some small traffic flow changes, I’m thinking a TTC bus line will more regularly operate at park close… they do a pretty good job getting guests to the transportation options, but they just can’t handle the influx of guests. When more guests are added to the park, the transportation will struggle more. The ferry boat update will help, but at the end of the day, they will need another transportation option during busier times of the year. That’s when you’ll probably see the TTC/Magic Kingdom bus line return (it’s already operated in the past during peak season).

However, I’m not dealing with transportation because I just walk back to the TTC. Only issue will be if they can queue up enough guests that you can get to the Grand Floridian walking trail…

JIMINYCR

Just like in school with staggered schedules....
Everyone with last names starting with A to I must start leaving at 9:20
Last names starting with J to R must start leaving at 9:45
Last names starting with S to Z must leave at 10:00

Lilofan

Somebody already said it, but I'll say it again for emphasis... don't shut down the park immediately after any major event.

Figure out when people naturally leave and then close the park then. Hint; somewhere around 1am.

Never ever before 10pm.
Pre 2001 and a few years shortly after, evening EMH at MK was 1am-4am a few days during 12/25-31. and park open 3 hours later at 7am-1am. Why bother closing, just keep it open 24 hrs

Andrew25

MK shouldn't be closing earlier than 11PM, except on party nights.

I also wish they just built a nice-looking permanent (covered!) queue off to the side of the MK station so they don't need to build an ugly switchback queue every night.

I also hope they figure out a way to expand the MK monorail platform to make it easier for guests to load in.

Vegas Disney Fan

I appreciate anything added to MK, however that has the potential to increase crowds. Currently after fireworks and at park closing Main Strret is way past capacity. How will Disney fix this issue if capacity is increased?
I share this worry, I want new attractions as much as everyone else but Main Street can only hold so many people, not just after but also during the shows and fireworks, MK could really benefit from alternative viewing areas like DL has at IASW and Fantasmic.

We were at DL Paris a few weeks ago and even though the parks weren't packed, and the side arcades were easy to traverse, the hub was absolutely claustrophobic during the show, it was so bad we worked our way backwards during the show to Main Street just to escape it, the views weren't as good but at least we didn't feel like we were going to be crushed.

Crowd control during shows must be a nightmare for the parks to manage, 50,000 people is a lot even when spread out over dozens of acres of park, once they all pack one small street and hub for a show it's chaos.

celluloid

Somebody already said it, but I'll say it again for emphasis... don't shut down the park immediately after any major event.

Figure out when people naturally leave and then close the park then. Hint; somewhere around 1am.

Never ever before 10pm.

This was typically why back in the day there were still a couple hours of the park after the fireworks on a consistent basis. It helped balance thousands who were still willing to stay to play in the night and with lesser waits.

Lilofan

I share this worry, I want new attractions as much as everyone else but Main Street can only hold so many people, not just after but also during the shows and fireworks, MK could really benefit from alternative viewing areas like DL has at IASW and Fantasmic.

We were at DL Paris a few weeks ago and even though the parks weren't packed, and the side arcades were easy to traverse, the hub was absolutely claustrophobic during the show, it was so bad we worked our way backwards during the show to Main Street just to escape it, the views weren't as good but at least we didn't feel like we were going to be crushed.

Crowd control during shows must be a nightmare for the parks to manage, 50,000 people is a lot even when spread out over dozens of acres of park, once they all pack one small street and hub for a show it's chaos.
What we have noticed back in the day pre cell phone / iPhone guests would ask fellow guests to take a pic of them. Not everyone had a zoom lenses Nikon , Polaroid or 35mm camera. Now it is non stop selfies, pics of groups , couples , individual shots from guest iPhones that add to the overcrowding of the streets with fellow guests standing there to pose for pictures. .

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This was typically why back in the day there were still a couple hours of the park after the fireworks on a consistent basis. It helped balance thousands who were still willing to stay to play in the night and with lesser waits.
This.

There are also other proposals for better park exiting but they still hit the wall that is Seven Seas if everyone leaves at once.

NotCalledBob

Small World is an amazing place to watch the fireworks at DLR.

We rocked up 20 minutes before the penultimate showing of Wonderous Journeys at Small World. Got an amazing view of the projections. Much better atmosphere. Because people were relaxed. They had a bit of space. No one had been camped out for an hour, only to get a phone or child suddenly appear in their sightline just as the show started. It did actually feel magical.

Any expansion plans for MK need to include a building that can be used as a facade for an alternative viewing point for the fireworks. I don't know how they could increase capacity without addressing this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom