MJ-Palooza!

Connor002

maggiegrace1 said:
Huh?..The things you know...I do not know anything about politics at all....:confused:

Well...

Massive reformation.
Really, our city needs to be completely reevaluated. I don't think there's any other way to make return it to being influential and powerful force on the East coast.

Talks with NJ and Delaware over company tax abatements.
New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania offer 10 year tax abatements for company is an effort to bring commence to the area. Unfortunately, companies are taking advantage of this and leaving the city holding the bill. Companies come, stay for the term of abatement, then move to Delaware or NJ to receive the tax-free stay there. The cycle of constant moving from the places leaves the company in question without the worry of taxes, and the cities loose money in what should have been revenue...

Break the Comcast monopoly on the city.
Comcast is based in Philadelphia... in return, they've gained a practical monopoly of the city. Prices for Comcast cable can be over twenty dollars higher here than other parts of the US. Why? Because they can. There is no competition; and city officials will not do anything about it. Comcast has such a vested interest in the city, all fear of the consequences. In fact, the newest skyscraper downtown (Completion: Scheduled for 2007, I believe) is named for the company. How cliché...

Revitalize the suburbs.
Many developments in the suburban districts of the city were built for the expansion needed for the baby boomer generation. Now, not only are the baby boomers aging, but so are their homes. Add to that the fact many are unable to perform the physical task associated with house maintenance and upkeep. Plus, with rising costs of living and many seniors on a fixed income, the money for upkeep just isn't there. Something needs to be done, or those areas will fall the way of many other neighbor hoods... which leads into the next point:

Large-scale housing projects in dilapidating areas of the city
Sometimes things become beyond repair. So why not start over? Many neighborhoods in the area between Center city and the suburbs are dying, and crime flourishes in places that are not prepared to handle it... My solution? Try again; begin a process of re-housing the communities. In stages, build new homes (Bring in large scale developers for the project), move residents of failing areas into the development at low cost (in return for the purchase of their old homes, and provide financial assistance where needed), the, use the recently-vacated site to begin the next stage of housing, which would house another area or relocate-ees. The construction would employ thousand of workers, providing a source of work for the unemployed.
Protection of local historical sites
Philadelphia is a city of great historical importance, but that extend further than the Liberty Bell and City Hall. We need to preserve what we have for future generations. As well as the governmental protection for sites of historical significance, funding for local museums and other exhibits should be increased and used in cross-projection. Community programs and groups are funded with money alone... but why not offer free or discounted tickets for the Art Museum, or the Liberty Museum, or other attractions.

Removing every remnant of past city officials.
I really don't need to explain much. The city officials are clues-less and dysfunctional. I suppose this really doesn't separate them from any other city in the country, but... well. There was the taxi scandal, the FBI probe, and whatnot...

Yes... I had some time on my hands. :lookaroun

maggiegrace1

Connor002 said:
Well...

Massive reformation.
Really, our city needs to be completely reevaluated. I don't think there's any other way to make return it to being influential and powerful force on the East coast.

Talks with NJ and Delaware over company tax abatements.
New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania offer 10 year tax abatements for company is an effort to bring commence to the area. Unfortunately, companies are taking advantage of this and leaving the city holding the bill. Companies come, stay for the term of abatement, then move to Delaware or NJ to receive the tax-free stay there. The cycle of constant moving from the places leaves the company in question without the worry of taxes, and the cities loose money in what should have been revenue...

Break the Comcast monopoly on the city.
Comcast is based in Philadelphia... in return, they've gained a practical monopoly of the city. Prices for Comcast cable can be over twenty dollars higher here than other parts of the US. Why? Because they can. There is no competition; and city officials will not do anything about it. Comcast has such a vested interest in the city, all fear of the consequences. In fact, the newest skyscraper downtown (Completion: Scheduled for 2007, I believe) is named for the company. How cliché...

Revitalize the suburbs.
Many developments in the suburban districts of the city were built for the expansion needed for the baby boomer generation. Now, not only are the baby boomers aging, but so are their homes. Add to that the fact many are unable to perform the physical task associated with house maintenance and upkeep. Plus, with rising costs of living and many seniors on a fixed income, the money for upkeep just isn't there. Something needs to be done, or those areas will fall the way of many other neighbor hoods... which leads into the next point:

Large-scale housing projects in dilapidating areas of the city
Sometimes things become beyond repair. So why not start over? Many neighborhoods in the area between Center city and the suburbs are dying, and crime flourishes in places that are not prepared to handle it... My solution? Try again; begin a process of re-housing the communities. In stages, build new homes (Bring in large scale developers for the project), move residents of failing areas into the development at low cost (in return for the purchase of their old homes, and provide financial assistance where needed), the, use the recently-vacated site to begin the next stage of housing, which would house another area or relocate-ees. The construction would employ thousand of workers, providing a source of work for the unemployed.
Protection of local historical sites
Philadelphia is a city of great historical importance, but that extend further than the Liberty Bell and City Hall. We need to preserve what we have for future generations. As well as the governmental protection for sites of historical significance, funding for local museums and other exhibits should be increased and used in cross-projection. Community programs and groups are funded with money alone... but why not offer free or discounted tickets for the Art Museum, or the Liberty Museum, or other attractions.

Removing every remnant of past city officials.
I really don't need to explain much. The city officials are clues-less and dysfunctional. I suppose this really doesn't separate them from any other city in the country, but... well. There was the taxi scandal, the FBI probe, and whatnot...

Yes... I had some time on my hands. :lookaroun

Thanks Connor...I always have a lot of time on my hands:) But You use yours a little more productively...:)

dandaman

Uponastar said:
Wow, Connor.
You certainly put some thought into that!
Seriously, are you considering politics in your future?

Do we really think he's capable of safely maintaining all of that power? :lookaroun

;)

Connor002

Uponastar said:
Wow, Connor.
You certainly put some thought into that!
Seriously, are you considering politics in your future?
I consider many things...
(But I'm probably not the personality type for politics :lookaroun :zipit: :lookaroun )

Uponastar

dandaman said:
Do we really think he's capable of safely maintaining all of that power? :lookaroun

;)

It's a matter of harnessing and distribution of power.
It'll take some restraint, but he can handle it.

Uponastar

Connor002 said:
I consider many things...
(But I'm probably not the personality type for politics :lookaroun :zipit: :lookaroun )

As I said to Danny, you could handle it. . .
but politics is definitely a dirty business, especially in Philadelphia. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom