Mission: Space

PhilosophyMagic

Original Poster
Although I haven't been on it, (next WDW trip is in 4 months), apparently the Mission: Space theme is not a space flight, but a space training simulator. So the pre-shows actually say it's a simulator? Weird. Sounds like a way to save money by not having to hide the centrifuge. I bet a "real" space flight would be a lot more memorable. Or maybe just Horizons... right Grizz? (Kidding!)

Anyway, does anyone know how the weightlessness effect is pulled off? Does it spin while the centrifuge arms are pointing up so that the centrifugal force pushes upwards to oppose gravity? Just a guess. I hope it's convincing, though.

By the way, someone said that it's not really interative, but that the video/ride sequence is exactly the same no matter what you do. Is this true, or does it just kick in and do whatever a rider was supposed to do only after they neglected to do it on command?

Michael Eisner--> :fork:

DisneylandDude

I was there in may and I rode it 23 times (single rider =D), and I think I can answer your questions. The anti-grav is achieved by it spinning really fast. Yes they do tell you it is a sim. Gary Sinise from Forrest Gump tells ya. And yes if you don't interact it says computer override and it is still the same if you did press the buttom. Yes the ride kicks in. And yes it is VERY Convincing.

SpongeScott

PhilosophyMagic said:
Although I haven't been on it, (next WDW trip is in 4 months), apparently the Mission: Space theme is not a space flight, but a space training simulator. So the pre-shows actually say it's a simulator? Weird. Sounds like a way to save money by not having to hide the centrifuge. I bet a "real" space flight would be a lot more memorable. Or maybe just Horizons... right Grizz? (Kidding!)

Anyway, does anyone know how the weightlessness effect is pulled off? Does it spin while the centrifuge arms are pointing up so that the centrifugal force pushes upwards to oppose gravity? Just a guess. I hope it's convincing, though.

By the way, someone said that it's not really interative, but that the video/ride sequence is exactly the same no matter what you do. Is this true, or does it just kick in and do whatever a rider was supposed to do only after they neglected to do it on command?

Michael Eisner--> :fork:
Wait until you ride it to pass judgment or opinion on it. Keep an open mind and then figure it out for yourself. When astronauts who have been in space say this is as close to real as it gets, I figure their opinion on it carries some weight.

Enjoy! :wave:

TnkrBelPixiDust

I went into it thinkning that it wouldnt be to great because of a review a friend gave me.. boy was I wrong.. I think it's awesome!!! By far one of the coolest attractions on Disney property!!! When you go on the ride.. have an open mind.. afterall it might just suprise you! :lol:

MissM

I rode it in the pre-opening stage. From what I understand from CM's they've made it a smidge less intense these days. When I rode it (last august I believe), they had people with clipboards asking your experience. I guess they had too many people coming off it and blowing chunks. *chuckles*

I got a smidge disoriented in a kinda dizzy way, my Love (who rides every crazy @ss rollercoaster in the world) did puke because he can't handle things that spin.

I understand they've put WAY more warnings on it now then they did back a year ago. You didn't know until the very last room what you were getting into. I definately feel that it's something everyone should do at least once. It's wholly unique and very impressive technology. It just might not be something you want to ride over and over again. It's a very neat experience though so I say go for it and make up your own mind on what you think of it.
-m

PhilosophyMagic

Original Poster
SpongeScott said:
Wait until you ride it to pass judgment or opinion on it. Keep an open mind and then figure it out for yourself. When astronauts who have been in space say this is as close to real as it gets, I figure their opinion on it carries some weight.

I have nothing against Mission: Space... in fact I think it looks great and I'm really looking forward to it!!

I still don't get how anti-gravity is achieved through spinning fast. Doesn't that make more Gs?!?!

FUNNY THING:
I know Michael Eisner's cousin, but they aren't getting along, at least now. They grew up together, too. He says Michael isn't very nice.

MissM

PhilosophyMagic said:
I still don't get how anti-gravity is achieved through spinning fast. Doesn't that make more Gs?!?!
Not by spinning more, but by the process of slowing the spin. A high spin = the feeling of more G's. Slow/stop that and you suddenly get a moment where you have simulated weightlessness. It's very brief though.
-m

barnum42

To be brutally honest there is no "weightlessness", if you go expecting that I'm afraid you will be very dissapointed.

BUT - the rest of the ride is terrific. A real blast. Just obey all the warning instructions if you are worried about motion sickness.

ToTBellHop

the simulated weightlessness isn't all that impressive. People seemed to be under the impression that you would fly out of your seat, which isn't what happens. The high G-forces of going around the moon and landing on Mars are the most impressive, I feel. There would have been no way to keep guests from seeing the centrifuges, though. The ride mechanism makes any substantial theming impossible (anything other than paint would be knocked off and you can't hide the giant arms that attach to each capsule, regardless). The theming works, regardless.

Pippa

barnum42 said:
To be brutally honest there is no "weightlessness", if you go expecting that I'm afraid you will be very dissapointed.

BUT - the rest of the ride is terrific. A real blast. Just obey all the warning instructions if you are worried about motion sickness.

Its a great ride, if you are worried about protein spills then just do it as the park opens before you have any breakfast, thats what I did and was absolutely fine! :wave:

TnkrBelPixiDust

ISTCNavigator57 said:
the simulated weightlessness isn't all that impressive. People seemed to be under the impression that you would fly out of your seat, which isn't what happens. The high G-forces of going around the moon and landing on Mars are the most impressive, I feel. There would have been no way to keep guests from seeing the centrifuges, though. The ride mechanism makes any substantial theming impossible (anything other than paint would be knocked off and you can't hide the giant arms that attach to each capsule, regardless). The theming works, regardless..
It actually pushes you into your seat... :hurl::lol: Gotta go!! There's a storm a brewing!!

OliveMcFly

Did you ever ride the Round Up, but it was enclosed? It would spin so fast that you could actually climb all over the walls. Funny how a carnival ride can apply to such a huge ride. LOL

Tim G

PhilosophyMagic said:
Although I haven't been on it, (next WDW trip is in 4 months), apparently the Mission: Space theme is not a space flight, but a space training simulator. So the pre-shows actually say it's a simulator? Weird. Sounds like a way to save money by not having to hide the centrifuge.
You really don't know what you're talking about, do you...
Do you call 107,5 million $ saving money?? c'mon... get a grip...

I bet a "real" space flight would be a lot more memorable. Or maybe just Horizons... right Grizz? (Kidding!)
Yuck!! don't even go there...:hurl:
Why would you get that info from us... try google...
I don't think you're not gonna like the ride anyway, if you're that negative already...
By the way, someone said that it's not really interative, but that the video/ride sequence is exactly the same no matter what you do. Is this true, or does it just kick in and do whatever a rider was supposed to do only after they neglected to do it on command? Michael Eisner-->
Stop nagging and ride it first!

PhilosophyMagic

Original Poster
ISTCNavigator57 said:
There would have been no way to keep guests from seeing the centrifuges, though. The ride mechanism makes any substantial theming impossible (anything other than paint would be knocked off and you can't hide the giant arms that attach to each capsule, regardless). The theming works, regardless.

When I first heard of Mission: Space, I thought there would be some sort of tunnel-like walkway like boarding an airplane, that recedes when the capsules are closed, but I guess that's too difficult or costly.

By the way, people keep thinking my post was negative about Mission: Space. I really didn't mean it that way at all. I am seriously just really exited about the ride and asking questions. I never even went on Horizons anyway... I was just refering to that whole argument about it.

Anyway, I bet you I won't throw up more than once after riding it. :D

ToTBellHop

PhilosophyMagic said:
When I first heard of Mission: Space, I thought there would be some sort of tunnel-like walkway like boarding an airplane, that recedes when the capsules are closed, but I guess that's too difficult or costly.

By the way, people keep thinking my post was negative about Mission: Space. I really didn't mean it that way at all. I am seriously just really exited about the ride and asking questions. I never even went on Horizons anyway... I was just refering to that whole argument about it.

Anyway, I bet you I won't throw up more than once after riding it. :D
A jetway for all 40 capsules? That would have been disgustingly expensive and constantly breaking down--not worth it to keep you from seeing the ride mechanism for 3 seconds.

WDWfan2209

I read in an article that in order to make you THINK that you are weightless and get pushed upward they are spinnin you at the same normal rate but they flip you (the capsule) so that you are on your back. Then that causes you to be forced towards the top of the "harness." Which makes you feel weightless. I'm 99.9% sure this is how the effect is pulled off.

grandmath

MissM said:
I rode it in the pre-opening stage. From what I understand from CM's they've made it a smidge less intense these days.

Not sure about that. Nobody seems to be able to clearly answer that question: is MS less intense now than before October 2003? Some say they didn't change the intensity because it would take too long, some say they felt it was less intense, others say it's the same....

I hope this isn't true but I'd like to know for sure!

imagineer99

WDWfan2209 said:
I read in an article that in order to make you THINK that you are weightless and get pushed upward they are spinnin you at the same normal rate but they flip you (the capsule) so that you are on your back. Then that causes you to be forced towards the top of the "harness." Which makes you feel weightless. I'm 99.9% sure this is how the effect is pulled off.

That's just incorrect...;)

The ride does not really produce "weightlessness" persay. Like Barnum said, if you go in expecting this effect, you will be disappointed.

Instead, it creates a brief sensation by both slowly down the centrifuge (less pressure on your body) and tilting the capsule forward slightly (so you fall forward a little bit).

It's a neat little effect...

grandmath, I was under the impression that the g-force levels HAVE NEVER CHANGED. Numerous hours or research have been conducted...
Changing g-forces on a whim is not something that Disney would attempt. At most, I think the temperature of the pods has been reduced (to reduce claustrophobia).

I'm sure Corrus could attempt to corroborate this for me...:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom