Mission Space tamed down?

candell

Original Poster
I recently visited WDW after a 3 year break, Mission Space disappointed me a little since my last visit. Have they tamed the ride down slightly, I am sure you don`t feel as many g's as you used to, especially during take off.

Also spent the last hour trying to find out how it works (yes I know it is a gravitron style centrifuge) but I would love to see a video of it working to achieve the effects. Is one out there?

Mickey92

I recently visited WDW after a 3 year break, Mission Space disappointed me a little since my last visit. Have they tamed the ride down slightly, I am sure you don`t feel as many g's as you used to, especially during take off.

Also spent the last hour trying to find out how it works (yes I know it is a gravitron style centrifuge) but I would love to see a video of it working to achieve the effects. Is one out there?

Hi there, when I went earlier this year, I didn't go on the spinning one so I cant really tell if they have tamed it down, but can help you on your next question. Here on WDWMagic they have a video, which unfortunately is only avaliable to premium users, that shows the behind the scenes footage of the ride in operation showing the Gravitron Style Centrifuge when the ride is in motion.

Mission: Space videos:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Mission-SPACE/Video.htm

Member Registration Info. (To be able to watch the videos):
http://www.wdwmagic.com/wdwmagicpass.htm

Hope this helps and hope you get/see the information you wanted :)

Best Wishes,

Tristan

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I didn't know there was a non gravitron one. That gravitron one make me so sick. The worst part was I lost it in the horizons shaped flower bed. Is the other one like Star Tours?

Rob562

I didn't know there was a non gravitron one. That gravitron one make me so sick. The worst part was I lost it in the horizons shaped flower bed. Is the other one like Star Tours?

The Green Team simulators are just the regular ride system reprogrammed to eliminate the high G-forces that you get on the Orange Team. So you get the pitch and roll of the capsule, just not the G-forces.

-Rob

lilclerk

I'm a less-intense training fan :lol: It's really exactly like the spinning version, but it doesn't spin. So it moves around and everything, but you feel no g-forces.

ryno1982

The orange "spinning" version that actually produces G forces has not been toned down. More than likely, you are just more used to it, even after 3 years. The same thing happened to me. First time through, I was sick all day. Now it does nothing to me.

Captain Hank

The orange "spinning" version that actually produces G forces has not been toned down. More than likely, you are just more used to it, even after 3 years. The same thing happened to me. First time through, I was sick all day. Now it does nothing to me.
What he said. The Orange Team ride programming has not been altered since the attraction was first open to Guests.

candell

Original Poster
That suprises me as when I first rode it I found it hard to wave my hands around and my face was pulled back, but this year I could easily move and felt nothing on my face.

Thanks for the links Mickey92, will upgrade and check it out.

Thrill Seeker

What he said. The Orange Team ride programming has not been altered since the attraction was first open to Guests.

Actually... it was ever so slightly. When the attraction first opened it was just Mission: SPACE and only had one version (Orange) which produced 3 G-Forces. That proved to be a bit too much for many guests, so when the Green Team was introduced, they also slightly toned down the Orange to 2.5 G-Forces. It's a minuscule change, but it was toned down very slightly. It has remained the same since.

LowesChevy

That suprises me as when I first rode it I found it hard to wave my hands around and my face was pulled back, but this year I could easily move and felt nothing on my face.

Thanks for the links Mickey92, will upgrade and check it out.

I remember this too. We rode it shortly after it had opened and it was crazy-you couldn't touch the controls. It defintely has been toned down, but still pretty wicked on the body

candell

Original Poster
Aha knew it! I can understand that some people wouldn`t have liked the original, personally I loved it. I remember using magic hours and being at the park for 7am and riding the thing so many times on an empty stomach then going out of the park for breakfast.

Mickey is King

When that baby first opened I was there within the first two weeks for opening, and have riden it many times since. It has been toned down after the 2 deaths in the beginning.

When you rode it before the "tone down" that baby almost hurt a tad, the pressure was harsh- not for everyone. I liked it though..and it is still a good ride, but once you've done it a few times it sort of loses it's thril factor.

BUt, the first time you ever experience it- whoa........:dazzle:

loveofamouse

Am I the only one who thought it wasn't worth the hype? I finally got to ride it (pregnancy and family fights had me missing it the last few years). I rode orange with dad. It was okay and all but I was like all that for this? For me, it was like Soarin. Not 100% sucked but not worth the long waits and talks.

Am I the only one who thought it wasn't worth the hype? I finally got to ride it (pregnancy and family fights had me missing it the last few years). I rode orange with dad. It was okay and all but I was like all that for this? For me, it was like Soarin. Not 100% sucked but not worth the long waits and talks.

I agree with this 100%. I rode it for the first time this past year on green and it wasn't that great so I waited an extra 35 minutes after that to ride orange and it still wasn't too great. I thought it was going to be amazing and leave me speechless however all it did was make me a little queezy

Thrill Seeker

The main difference is that Mission: SPACE never has 90 minute waits like Soarin' and is, in my opinion, a better ride. I learned to appreciate it more after working there. It really is a good ride and is the best themed ride at Epcot. It's a good ride, but not a great one.

candell

Original Poster
Mission Space is definately the best thing about Epcot but Epcot isn`t about the rides really. I only ever go out of season so have never waited more than 5 minutes to ride but I guess if you have waited a long while you might want more. You can`t deny though that it is a very clever ride.

Soarin on the other hand, what a load of ________, the reason for the long wait times is that all members of the family go on it.

imagineer boy

The main disapointment for me about M:S is the story. Instead of going on a real mission into space, you're simply doing a training simulation. So, at the beginning they basically tell you everything is fake. How boring!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's an internet myth that Mission Space was toned down. The designers spent years working on the optimal G load for the attraction, and it was done prior to installation at Epcot. Once installed it was not changed. The non-spinning version was introduced, but the original spinning version remains the same today. It was determined back in the design phase that a slight reduction in G made no difference to guests getting sick, so there really was/is no point in tweeking it.

Any feeling that the G's have changed is down to your physical condition and perception at the time of riding.

The source of my info on the G's was a member of WDI who worked on the installation of Mission Space.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

The main disapointment for me about M:S is the story. Instead of going on a real mission into space, you're simply doing a training simulation. So, at the beginning they basically tell you everything is fake. How boring!

Thats because some kid actually thought he was going into space and died. I think his blood pressure went up so high he had an aneurism, or at least something related to blood pressure.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Isn't it obvious though that you are not going into Space? Epcot isn't a Space Port. The Training Center story certainly makes more sense. And does it really matter? The feeling of Space Flight, which is really what defines MS, would be the same regardless of which direction the story went in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom