Mission Space Ride

Pooh167

Original Poster
My 9 year old loves riding roller coasters and thrill rides in general. His plans for this May are to ride them all at WDW. With all things I have read about Mission Space I am a little concerned. He is tall enough but do you really have to STARE at the screen and not move or else be sick? I am not looking forward to having to "clean" him up after the ride.:hurl:

peter11435

You can move while on the ride. However for people who easily get motion sickness it is helpful to keep your heads back and eyes on the screen. I have ridden the ride twelve times and never seen anyone get sick. Trust me when I tell you it is much more rare than some will try to tell you.

TheOneVader

It's not nessecarily "stare at the screen to not get sick," there are a lot of factors. It depends on not only where you look and that, but also how motion sick you get. I've closed my eyes and also looked everywhere while on it, and all that's happened is the usual dizziness after you get off, which wears off in seconds. So you really just have to wait and see.

M:SpilotISTC12

Its no worse than a roller coaster you cant turn head and u dont have to start and it and look off the screen. Dont worry he will love it and he will want to ride it again.

Lynx04

Stare no, keep your head forward, yes. I moved my head the left once and you do feel the spinning. It is weird, but you do feel it. Disney makes the attraction seem worse then it really is.

se8472

Every person walks away from Mission: Space, and really any attractions with different options. It affects everyone in different ways so it would be hard for anyone to tell how your son might do without us knowing him.

wdwdave09

Reaction to ride is hard to gauge

My family (mother, stepdad, wife, 10 yr old daughter and 7 yr old son) all rode M:S in Oct 2003. We all had different reactions.

My daughter, the roller coaster nut, loved it.
My son, who likes some (usually smaller) coasters, loved it.
My wife, who loves coasters, won't ride it again because she felt dizzy/slightly nauseated. Perhaps age is catching up with her.
My Mom and Stepdad won't ride it again, in fact it made my mother very nauseated. My mother enjoys coasters (she did RnR, SM, ToT).
I had mixed feelings. I liked about the first two minutes but became more nauseated the last minute. I love coasters but perhaps age is catching up to me as well.

I told the kids to look straight ahead and not to move around. I spent most of my time looking forward but turned left (I was farthest seat from center of ride) to make sure the rest of the family was OK. Did the turning cause my dizziness? Probably not. To tell you the truth, I was worried about the rest of the family, especially my claustrophobic wife, so maybe my initial tension contributed some.

My guess is that your son will be fine. If he can stomach any of the traditional "spinning"-type rides, he'll probably be fine.

Hope this helps.

Laura

For me I have to look straight ahead, not move a muscle, and not shut my eyes. The second I look away (even to push the buttons when it's my turn) I get a little weird feeling. I'm one of those people who gets very very sick from spinning, but I can tolerate this ride fine as long as I don't move my head or my eyes. And it's worth it too, it's one of my favorite thrill rides. The take off is better than that at Rock N Rollercoaster.

Icekid84

lol my favorite part of the ride was the vommit bags in front of you... if it had the MS or Epcot written on it I might have taken one, but I didnt look.

Its not that bad, Disney has taken many precautions with it, I believe they even pump peppermint smell into the halls after you get off the ride to help people ( cant remember the exact reason) It is intense though, if youve not experieced direct Gs on your body is pretty wierd, but wierd in nice type of feeling.

EpcotGrl

I'd say more people are scared away by the over-and-over Disney warnings than actually get sick off the ride. ("If you are made uncomfortable by enclosed spaces, loud noises, or spinning, you should bypass this experience") I rode it twice in a row and then felt nauseated, but after once I'm fine--and I hate (most) roller coasters. Disney roller coasters, of course, being the exception ;)

I'd suggest you try it--maybe have some "just-in-case" crackers handy afterwards--b/c you never know 'til ya try! Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom