Mission: Space Reviews?

flounder

Mission Space Ride

Hi Everyone. . .I went on Mission Space last year when we were down there and it was awsome. I went twice in one day also and got a little sick. I normally do not like rides like that so surprised myself when I went on it and enjoyed it so much...it was a fun experience...don't go right after you eat is my suggestion!! :p 30 days and counting till our next trip to the happiest place on earth! :sohappy:
Disney Dreams!!! :snore:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
waltdisny said:
The visual display is what ruins the effect though, it just looks like you're watching a TV. I would have though they would have splurged for a prismatic display so that they could have 3D, like a real simulator. The pixels are visible, and the video quality so-so.
They sprung for a completely unique display system, that modifies the focal length, giving that incredible feeling of depth to the display. Its nothing like watching a TV in my opinion. Its the most realistic viewing screen in an attraction that I have ever experienced.

Pixels are visible if you are looking for them, but that is the case for any kind of display I have ever seen. If it isnt the actual display device revealing pixels, its the graphical material rendering process that reveal them.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
saltmom1 said:
I don't think that whether you push the buttons has any effect on what happens. We only had 3 peope in our capsule one time and were told by a CM that the computer would automatically override the buttons and perform the actions.
Pushing (or not pushing) the buttons cause interior cabin effects to change, such as lighting and audio, but they do not have any control on the motion or actual mission.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
waltdisny said:
Is it a descent ride? Yes. Are the warnings over-done? Yes. If your are sensitive to spinning it may bother you. I noticed that there seems to be a difference between the machines as well: The Red centerfuge spun up quickly, so there wasn't much spinning sensation. The Yellow centerfuge must be weaker, I noticed the spin-up there.
All 4 ride bays have identical performance capabilties. None of them are more powerful than the others. Any difference you thnk you have noticed will have come down to YOU. ie. your physical/pshycological state at the times of riding, enviromental conditions etc.

Bairstow

As a longtime coaster nut, I thought that Mission:Space was pretty underwhelming. The launch sequence is great, which is both the attractions greatest strength and biggest weakness, because after liftoff none of the sensations are that impressive. Also, I thought the have issue with the fact that the attraction's backstory tells you up front that it's nothing more than a simulator, which kills the sense of fantasy that something like the Living Seas or Body Wars tried to instill. How does telling the guests up front that what they're about to experience is fake help to make it enjoyable? The interactive aspect was also a flawed idea, because since there's no real incentive to push the buttons Sinese barking commands at you makes the narrative more stilted and further damages the illusion, even of it being a "training misssion". There's no reason why the coudn't have given the video and audio elements a "branching" system that showed a different track depening on what was or was not done by the guests, even if it naturally accompanies the same physical sensations. I might have bothered to ride it more than once if there was more to see. The use of in-vehicle cinematic music was also a mistake in my opinion because, again, the story of the attraction is that this is an actual training exercise, not a fantasy experience like Star Tours. I also thought that the display system was lacking in some way. The display was VERY grainy, like a first-gen VR helmet, and was too bright. There is one sequence where you supposedly go into "hypersleep" and everything turns off but the monitors, which are still a bright gray color, destroying the illusion.
So anway, I think Horizons was a better attaction. Test Track blew me away, and still does, but Mission Space didn't.

NowInc

heres my review

..clears throat..

Weeeeeee!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!! oooooo,,,,AHHHHHH!!!!! WOAAAAAAAAAH!!! ahhhhhh

DLP Fan

Mission Space is tremendous! I was there during the previews and on speaking to CMs people only said about getting dizzy and complaining about feeling ill once the warning signs went up. Had to mention the spinning for legal reasons or something.

The whole experience is amazing. I thought it would be really short. And typical Disney th rousing score and the wonderful Gary Sinese give it that something extra. One of my favorite parts is when everyone is in the pre-launch room and are given there jobs for the mission. The lighting and music are so simple, and yet so clever you do get chills down your back and there is a real buzz of excitement in the room. A must for anyone going anywhere near Disney World. Simply superb.

VillainFan

I didn't think much of it at all. I kept reading that it was the most intense ride that Disney had ever created. Well, it may be, but I must have been expected something much more intense. The G-forces are really fun, and they're about the best part.

Kwit35

Legacy said:
The first 15 seconds are the best part. Followed by the building exterior and then having Gary Sinese as the main guy (I'm a Sinese fan). Besides that, the attraction is a ho-hum addition to a resort desperate to challenge IoA.
Ditto, except the ho-hum part. It was a little better then ho-hum, but I would much rather have Horizons back.

cindrelly31

M:S - it was ok

When we went in Aug 03, the lines were quite long. FP was really short and then I rode immediately again using Child Swap. I would not recommend riding it within 5 minutes of getting off the first time. I can usually handle thrill rides very well, but was VERY nauseous after the second time. :hurl: I would definatly ride again and would tell anyone that has not been on to at least experience the ride once for them to derive their own opinion.

I thought the graphics and experience were great the first time, but the second time I was more observant becuase I knew the story already. :brick: I agree with waltdisny regarding the graphics and pixels being noticed in the video.

Nemmy

To you people that were saying that the buttons have no effect, you didn't read my post carefully. I said that they work, to a small extent. I did push the buttons at different times. Once when he said "Now", once a bit before he said "Now", and once a bit later than when he said "Now", and they all activated right when I hit the button.

NemoRocks78

Seized
I've said it once and I'll say it again--it isn't that great.

Sure, at the beginning it was a ton of fun (I even did a science fair project on it and won third place) but in January I started to get bored with it. WDI could have done a much better job. Once you've been on it, there really isn't a need to go again. I would never consider it a "classic." Horizons was definitely the better attraction.

wardrobeguy

Hello... I really dig Mission: Space! But I've noticed that there's some confusion about the storyline of the ride. I didn't mind that we just landed on Mars with no return, or weren't on Mars when exiting the ride. The ride narration says that we're only an astronauts in training. I never got the notion that I was really supposed to be an astronaut on the way to Mars, but instead a person training to be an astronaut on a simulated mission to Mars.... Which the ride is.

I've ridden this thing over and over with no ill effects and each time I find it to be thrilling. Of course, nothing matches the first time experiencing it, but it holds up well on repeat spins!

To be nitpicky, I wouldn't mind the long hallway walk around the pavilion after the ride to the interactive area if it had been themed. It's just a grey hall. Might as well be at Six Flags.

Mission Space Race game was fun... and the free internet postcards from Space were fun to do too.

All in all, I think this is one of the best rides Disney has done....and I appreciate that it's not a commercial like Test Track is.

waltdisny

PhilosophyMagic said:
Can other centrifuge simultors simulate negative G's?!? HOW?!?

Regarding a 3d display: Would it be possible to do that? That would have been incredible!
Actually, you could "simulate" negitive g's by carefully tilting the cabin backwards, so when you are being pushed outward, your inner ear is tricked into thinking it's weightless. It would be a very fine line to walk, too much speed on the centerfuge and you'd be pushed up against the restraints, too little and you wouldn't notice it at all. Granted, you wouldn't truely be weightless, it would be an illusion caused by fooling your inner-ear.

Yes, modern flight simulators use multiple screens, "blended" through a series of mirrors and a prismatic lens to create a very convincing 3D appearance. In a "level D" simulator, especially at night, it looks utterly real, and you have that illusion of depth and perspective motion. The M:S screens are very good, but I just don't find them as convincing as a real sim.

For a PDF with more information on one of the best displays, called VITAL, check this link. The pictures just don't do it justice though:
www.flightsafety.com/ssd01.pdf

dandaman

I agree, TT is basically one big commercial (a fun commercial, mind you)...
And my favourite thing to do is get 4 FP's for Mission: Space, and go on 4 times in an hour (for some reason, I never feel sick at all when I get off). I use this technique for all rides with FP opportunities, too.

dreamitdoit

Mission:SPACE is neat. I don't like it all that much as far as EPCOT attractions go. It isn't really a pavilion like all the others any way. NEVER RIDE IT TWICE IN A ROW! You will not feel that great after the second time.

grandmath

I just love Mission:Space, it is maybe my favorite attraction at WDW, although I can't say that honestly when I compare the number of rides on it and other attractions. Let's say that right now, it is my MUST-SEE, MUST-DO attraction each and every day. It thrills me, it amazes me, it inspires me. It is not just the G-forces. It is the beauty of the pabillion, the excitment of the planetary plaza music (especially at night!), the "space" feeling of the queue line, the pre show spiel... I think this is very well done, it builds the anticipation as no ride has ever done before.

The boarding is a bit disappointing but lasts 3 seconds. then you're in a spacecraft and you forget everything. The theming is the absolute best for a ride vehicle, almost as good as the ride itself. You feel really there. There is an amazing amount of details around you and you'll have to ride several times to see it all (and remember there are 4 positions): you have the sound effects in real time, the capcom-chat all around, the lights, the buttons that make sounds and have an effect on others, the panels in front of you, the video screens on the sides with real-time data and videos of what you are doing during the flight, where you are, dialogue with Capcom etc...

Then there is the ride, the uniqueness of the thrills, the fact that they last so long, the "almost 3D" visuals, the scenery itself during the ride, the "interactivity": be sure to check out the video screens on the side when you push a button to see an animation of what exactly happens!! I just feel good in this pod, nothing else outside exists, I am in space. Once again the interactivity makes you want to ride at least 4 times to test all the positions and you can build your own story... I was there with 2 friends during our last holidays and we really played our jobs, which made those the greatest ride moments of our trip. Nowhere else can you be as "active" as on this ride and play along.

At last, there is the post show, and while I didn't do everything there, I think the feeling is cool and busy as it should be, very technical, futuristic... the exit corridor is blah, but the song played, Destiny, is really good.

So all in all, no, I don't like it has replaced Horizons, which looked truly great, but in itself, it is to me a tremendous attraction which needs to be tested at least once. It appears that almost everyone not liking the rides are the one that have been sick on it, and I don't find this truly objective as a reason. It shouldn't ruin other's curiosity to try it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Not my cup of tea, too much experience not enough entertainment.

The warnings are over done but lets face it there are plenty of stupid people around lookin to make a point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom