Mission Space Question

that_L_do_pig

Three pages of replies and not one mention of claustrophobia! For me the G's were nothing compared to the panic sweat I went into when the top of the cab closed down on us. The screen felt like it was an inch from my face and I was TOTALLY not expecting that.

When I rode it again a year later on another trip either: 1.) I expected this an was able to enjoy the ride or 2.) the top did not shut down on me by as far by at least 6".

I swear it was #2...

By the way, barf or no barf - this is a must ride.

StevenT

Like many, it suprised me to see the amount of people who have gotten sick. MS really doesn't affect me at all, but I'm the type that tries to get the teacup spinning as fast as humanly possible. The only thing uncomfortable about MS to me is that the air conditioning vents still blow freezing cold and heavy right on your face in mid December (It'll be nice when I go in June though :) )

righttrack

Here is my take...

You will feel motion, and that will go along with what you are watching on the screen. You won't feel spinning, or extreme motion. You will feel, for lack of a better term, wierd. Still, don't expect the "tossed around in a dryer" feel you would get from coasters, spinning cups etc. The rules are simple: Watch the screen, keep your eyes open and don't look around. If you don't destroy the illusion, you won't feel that bad. If you do destroy the illusion (looking around, closing eyes, etc.) you might feel spinning. Don't panic, its only a ride, and an amazing one at that. You won't go upside down, won't bounce around much, etc. Its really cool, and shouldn't be missed.

For me, the feeling was once of pressure. Not explosive pressure, just pressure that held me in my seat. I felt a little light-headed. I guess a ride like this can trigger a panic attack and that would be my worry for some. Its not bad at all, but the fear of it can be overwhelming for some. I think people don't expect to experience the physiological changes of g-force without the perception of extreme motion/spinning, so it may catch some people by surprise. Go into this ride, without fear and you'll be fine. Its quite amazing.

wannabeBelle

righttrack said:
Here is my take...

You will feel motion, and that will go along with what you are watching on the screen. You won't feel spinning, or extreme motion. You will feel, for lack of a better term, wierd. Still, don't expect the "tossed around in a dryer" feel you would get from coasters, spinning cups etc. The rules are simple: Watch the screen, keep your eyes open and don't look around. If you don't destroy the illusion, you won't feel that bad. If you do destroy the illusion (looking around, closing eyes, etc.) you might feel spinning. Don't panic, its only a ride, and an amazing one at that. You won't go upside down, won't bounce around much, etc. Its really cool, and shouldn't be missed.

For me, the feeling was once of pressure. Not explosive pressure, just pressure that held me in my seat. I felt a little light-headed. I guess a ride like this can trigger a panic attack and that would be my worry for some. Its not bad at all, but the fear of it can be overwhelming for some. I think people don't expect to experience the physiological changes of g-force without the perception of extreme motion/spinning, so it may catch some people by surprise. Go into this ride, without fear and you'll be fine. Its quite amazing.
I agree, remember this is a one of a kind attraction unlike anything in the world, anywhere else. You should at least give it a shot. The pod part is less that 5 minutes long if I Am remembering correctly!!! Belle

I get sick from spinning rides. But I decided to give M:S a try. Sure enough, about five seconds after "launch" I could start to feel spinning, and thought "uh oh - this is going to be the worst two minutes of my life." But I focused on the screen and kept telling myself "you're launching into space. You're launching into space." You know what - it worked. The spinning sensation went away, and the ride was INCREDIBLE. And I felt fine afterward...

It sounds weird, but you have to trust your eyes (launch video) and body (g-forces), but not your inner ear (spinning), and, if you're like me, you'll be fine.

Regardless, you should ride anyway. If you're unsure, get a fastpass for near the end of the day - that way, if you get sick, it'll be at the end of the day instead of the beginning...

wannabeBelle

FourFourSeven said:
I get sick from spinning rides. But I decided to give M:S a try. Sure enough, about five seconds after "launch" I could start to feel spinning, and thought "uh oh - this is going to be the worst two minutes of my life." But I focused on the screen and kept telling myself "you're launching into space. You're launching into space." You know what - it worked. The spinning sensation went away, and the ride was INCREDIBLE. And I felt fine afterward...

It sounds weird, but you have to trust your eyes (launch video) and body (g-forces), but not your inner ear (spinning), and, if you're like me, you'll be fine.

Regardless, you should ride anyway. If you're unsure, get a fastpass for near the end of the day - that way, if you get sick, it'll be at the end of the day instead of the beginning...
Great idea on the fast pass thing!!! Belle

brich

I kind of enjoyed it but felt horrible for a few hours after. To me the ride went just a few minutes longer than I was comfortable with. Started feelig queezy and still it went on. I followed all the suggestions for enjoying this ride but I still felt lousy after. I was glad I did ride it because it truly is a cool ride. But I wouldn't do it again mostly because of the impact it had after I got off.
I would recommend going over by the gift shop exit of the ride and take count of the guests sprawled out all over the ground. Proof that it does make some pretty sick. I had to laugh that I did notice the same dozen or so people in the exact same positions on the ground about an hour after I had been there. :lol:
My opinion, if you you pass all the ride precautions and your health is suitable for the ride, ride it late in your day just so you can experience it. You will probably never feel any ride like it. Good luck!! :D

DisneySam

brich said:
I kind of enjoyed it but felt horrible for a few hours after. To me the ride went just a few minutes longer than I was comfortable with. Started feelig queezy and still it went on. I followed all the suggestions for enjoying this ride but I still felt lousy after. I was glad I did ride it because it truly is a cool ride. But I wouldn't do it again mostly because of the impact it had after I got off.

I am glad someone posted this question, I had been thinking about it also recently. Has anyone had success with taking motion sickness meds before riding? Normally when I fly I do this as a precaution.

I would LOVE to ride MS, but don't want to feel awful afterwards. [I had a similar bad experience with drinking a bottle of water right before Star Tours, and sitting in the front...my own stupid fault, but felt terrible for about 1 hour]

MinnieSummer

My six year old daughter is a daredevil and insisted on riding as soon as she found she was tall enough. Well, her height is all in her legs and when she sat in the seat and the console came forward she couldn't really see the screen. I thought this was going to be a disaster, looked frantically around for a way to signal that we needed let out, and the ride started. She proceded to ----- giggle through the ENTIRE RIDE!!! Absolutely loved it. I spent the entire time watching her just in case I needed to grab "the Bag" so I felt the spinning and it didn't really bother me after the first few seconds. We've since ridden MS at least ten times and have a blast. I guess it's all in the way our bodies to dufferent stimuli. My friend loves thrill rides but has claustrophobia. She rode it once and was in such a panic she blacked out. But she's still glad she tried it.

Hawk4255

Honestly, it is the warnings that do most in. They freak people out. If you just relax, watch the screen, don't close your eyes or turn your head, you are likely to be alright.

If you suffer from motion sickness then we do not recommend it, but other than that, most people don't have a problem. :D

wannabeBelle

I have noticed most kids are fine with the ride and actually do better than most of their parents!!! It is pretty funny to see though!! Belle

bucklmd

I am also surprised at the response of people getting sick. I would say the overall percentage of people who actually get sick is very low. I went on 4 times my last trip and I had read so much about it, that I was REALLY nervous.

All of the hype was just that. I did not feel sick, but I sure as heck followed every instruction I was given. In fact, I was so focused that when it came time to push my button, I hit it like it was a "fastest finger" question on WWTBM. I took it all very seriously. After I went on it a few times though, I got more comfortable with what I could do as far as looking around. Once we went on right after eating a cheeseburger and fries and I was fine then too. If you can ride other thrill rides at all, give it a try.

I also think it is much easier on you physically than RNR and Space Mountain. Those rides kind of throw you around and knock you head around too. M:S is nothing like that and is much smoother. The duration goes really fast too. When I was first scared, I went on thinking...no matter what, it's only 3 minutes. You can handle anything for 3 minutes. Get your game face on and have fun!!!!!

RedBaron

MrToad1 said:
Reading this thread is really making me miss Horizons <sighs> :cry:
Nothing can replace Horizons. Even though I do want to try to ride MS and have no previous problems with spinning rides I am sort of afaid to ride. Also I am not normally a fan of roller coasters either, but love Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain and am afraid of riding the new Expediton Everest when it opens and look forward to a thread like this one so I can read if it is totally scary or not.
</sighs>

jsfra209

Oh My God!! I'm getting dizzy and nauseaous just reading this thread...

I will say that the presentation was awesome, but would've been better had I not been clutching the barf bag and praying to just pass out already!!

:hurl: --- BIG TIME!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom