Mission: Space - Popularity Downturn

adjonline

Original Poster
The past week I've been in Epcot twice, and both time Mission: Space has been on a 15-20 minute wait, in the middle of the day, whilst Test Track has consistently been at 65-70 minutes. Similar situation in the Fastpass return times.

Is this just coincidence, or has there been a (big!) drop in use at Mission: Space since last month?

I know what you mean.. I was there 2 weeks ago and the most I saw Mission:Space's wait time was 10 minutes.. The most my family and I waited was 5 mins due to "technical difficulties"... I was guessing it had something to do with the little boy, but ya never know

peter11435

It has nothing to do with the boys death. M:S often times had only a 5-10 minute wait in the months prior to the boys death.

GenerationX

Test Track appeals to a wider range of people than Mission:Space. Both are well-themed, exciting thrill rides, but Test Track is less intense. Younger kids and people who get dizzy on spinning rides or simulators will probably prefer Test Track.

peter11435

Pixiedust1393 said:
I was there in Feb. and I remember seeing the wait time being 35-40 minutes...
That is the case some parts of the day. However for the most part the line stays around 15 minutes or so, and has done so for a while now.

dxwwf3

Everyone has failed to mention that M:S was designed as a huge line eater. It has a very high capacity (Or at least that's what I've been told) and gets people in and out at a very fast rate. Every big attraction is going to have huge lines the first couple of years. But if something is designed for high capacity, the lines should dwindle allowing for less waits for the guests. I would be willing to bet that in 2 years SGE, will have much shorter waits too. But that doesn't mean that less people are seeing it or that it is losing popularity. That show building holds alot of people at one time. I guess the same could be said of something like WWTBAM: Play It.

Test Track and Soarin' both have fairly low capacity (Again I'm going on info provided by other members here, not my own research) and that tends to add a significat amount of time to already long waits.

Rinxman

It's just coincidence. MISSION: Space is the first thing people do when they enter the park in the morning. A lot of people are a little scared too.

i got it

A HAH-I've GOT it!

Everyone's going to Sorin'. the reason i say this is because people that havent rode the ride yet dont know there is a long walk that you have to take to get to the first cut off point. but i cant explain test track.

speck76

I think business is down....around 7/4, it had a 5 minute wait, while Soarin and Test Track were 90+ minutes....

When we rode, the two of us got our own capsule, and the capsule next to ours had only 1 person in it....

It is too bad, it is a fun and safe ride

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
I think business is down....around 7/4, it had a 5 minute wait, while Soarin and Test Track were 90+ minutes....

When we rode, the two of us got our own capsule, and the capsule next to ours had only 1 person in it....

It is too bad, it is a fun and safe ride

Do you think maybe the warnings on M:S make it seem to be MUCH worse than it actually is? I mean sure it might be intense to some, but I find the ride to be quite tame. I understand that Disney wants to properly warn everyone, but I think that the ongoing warnings here might keep alot of people out that would probably enjoy the attraction alot.

And while I still think that a portion of the reason is due to high capacity, I'm not going to lie. M:S did sort of seem like a ghost town this trip, but I only went at night so that MIGHT have had something to do with it.

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
Do you think maybe the warnings on M:S make it seem to be MUCH worse than it actually is? I mean sure it might be intense to some, but I find the ride to be quite tame. I understand that Disney wants to properly warn everyone, but I think that the ongoing warnings here might keep alot of people out that would probably enjoy the attraction alot.

yes

lownalo

dxwwf3 said:

And while I still think that a portion of the reason is due to high capacity, I'm not going to lie. M:S did sort of seem like a ghost town this trip, but I only went at night so that MIGHT have had something to do with it.

I'm just wondering in anyone's opinion if I would be ok for that ride. I can ride Aerosmith and TOT but I was wondering how much worse this ride is because I can get sick on rides. Aerosmith is probably my breaking point for getting sick, sometimes I feel fine, sometimes I get alittle dizzy. Is M:S much worse?

DisKid

dxwwf3 said:
Everyone has failed to mention that M:S was designed as a huge line eater. It has a very high capacity (Or at least that's what I've been told) and gets people in and out at a very fast rate. Every big attraction is going to have huge lines the first couple of years. But if something is designed for high capacity, the lines should dwindle allowing for less waits for the guests. I would be willing to bet that in 2 years SGE, will have much shorter waits too. But that doesn't mean that less people are seeing it or that it is losing popularity. That show building holds alot of people at one time. I guess the same could be said of something like WWTBAM: Play It.

Test Track and Soarin' both have fairly low capacity (Again I'm going on info provided by other members here, not my own research) and that tends to add a significat amount of time to already long waits.

Well, Soarin' (I'm pretty sure) holds about like 92 people per flight with two going simultaniously....that sounds like a VERY high capacity IMO.

And, when we went in May MS generally showed a 5 minute wait. (before the tragedy). I think the problem is that it is advertised as way too forceful. (I wasn't sure about going on it, but after I went on it, I didn't think it was as bad as ads made it out to be)

imagineer boy

SKYWAY 4 ME said:
its not a fun ride !!! It needs de-tuning !!!Same as the TOT got !!

Then it will be ok

Um, no it doesn't. Its perfectly safe unless you have pre-existing conditions which is why those people died on those rides. And it IS a fun ride.

And, there's no such word as "de-tuning"

Neptune

When I was there in May (On the 27th exactly) There was only a 20 minute wait. And that was Mem. Day Weekend! Test Track Just appeals to more people, as people are not known to Well, puke on it. :lol:

wdwishes2005

dxwwf3 said:

ive seen teenage tough-guys with tattoos that talk all tough chicken out for this because of the warnings

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom