Mission Space Opening Date Confirmed

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Original Poster
This just came out on the Disney Travel agents website.

Mission: SPACE at Epcot® Set to Send Clients Out of This World
The excitement, the thrill and the rush of rocketing into outer space is coming soon to Walt Disney World® Resort. Beginning Aug. 15, 2003, Mission: SPACE, presented by HP -- the next awesome adventure at Epcot® -- will send clients on an out-of-this-world journey they never thought possible.

Guests who accept the mission will engage in a one-of-a-kind astronaut experience that launches them into a simulated space adventure - from pulse-racing liftoff to the sensations of traveling though outer space on a mission to Mars. Click here for more information.

Mission: SPACE at Epcot Set to Open August 15, 2003

The excitement, the thrill and the rush of rocketing into outer space is coming soon to Walt Disney World® Resort. Beginning Aug. 15, 2003, Mission: SPACE, presented by HP -- the next awesome adventure at Epcot® -- will send clients on an out-of-this-world journey they never thought possible.

Guests who accept the mission will engage in a one-of-a-kind astronaut experience that launches them into a simulated space adventure – from pulse-racing liftoff to the sensations of traveling though outer space on a mission to Mars.

The new attraction is the most technologically advanced ever created by Disney. In association with former NASA advisors, astronauts and scientists, Walt Disney Imagineering developed Mission: SPACE as the first ride system ever created to take guests straight up in simulated flight.

Pre-Show
The setting for the attraction is several decades into the future at the International Space Training Center. As the "crew" selected for this ultimate space mission, guests head to the dispatch area and then move to the Ready Room where they receive a history of astronaut training and are given the role they will assume during the mission -- as the commander, pilot, navigator or engineer.

Countdown…Liftoff
Then it's on to the pre-flight corridor to load into the spacecraft, receive final briefings from CapCom and buckle in for liftoff. When the countdown reaches zero, the most unique and exhilarating ride experience ever begins. The earth begins to rumble, white clouds of exhaust start to stir as the ascent toward the sky starts and guests are rocketed into the galaxies. Guests hear from CapCom and are asked to perform vital tasks that will land their spacecraft safely on Mars. Each guest will assume the role of Commander, Pilot, Navigator or Engineer. But there is no mission without surprise as guests encounter unexpected twists, turns and other challenges that test every astronaut. Quick thinking and fast reactions are needed by each guest to successfully complete the mission.

Post Show
Training is not complete when the capsule lands. Guests can proceed to the Mission: SPACE Post Show, powered by HP. In this Advanced Training Lab, guests of all ages have an opportunity to explore interactive space experiences, which include:

Space Race -- Two teams compete against each other in a race to send their rocket from Mars back to Earth. Nearly 60 people can play the high-energy game at one time.
Space Base -- For junior astronauts, Space Base provides a fun, interactive crawl space for exploration.
Expedition: Mars -- A joystick and a jet pack button help guests explore the surface of Mars.
Postcards from Space -- Guests can e-mail a video of themselves with one of the space-themed backgrounds and create a great souvenir of their Mission: SPACE experience.

SewIn2Disney

If they had waited two more days it would have opened on my Birthday! That would be the coolest!.

I can't wait! I'm going in November!

AndyMagic

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Amazing news. Amazing ride. By the way, it will be open for your July visit. Soft openings begin in June!!!!
OMG.... I can hardly even contain myself! :D Please tell me that this is true. How do you know it will be open in June? I am heading down there from June 23rd to June 28th. Are you saying it will be open?

Shaman

Amazing news. Amazing ride. By the way, it will be open for your July visit. Soft openings begin in June!!!!

Soft opening in JUNE!!!!!!! Wow I hope so...maybe I'll get lucky...and it will be open when I go...like I got lucky with RnRC...it looks awesome!!!!:hammer:

SewIn2Disney

How early in June? I'll be there from May 20-June1. Do i have any hope of getting a sneak peek?

ToTBellHop

Park management is now telling Cast Members that soft openings will begin in June, while Cast previews will begin in the upcoming weeks. With the grand opening on August 15th, soft openings will CERTAINLY begin by July 4th, but probably by the start of the summer season in June. There should be at least two months of soft opening for this attraction, as that is pretty average for an E-Ride. I rode Kali River Rapids two months before it "opened", in February 1999.

AndyMagic

Park management is now telling Cast Members that soft openings will begin in June, while Cast previews will begin in the upcoming weeks. With the grand opening on August 15th, soft openings will CERTAINLY begin by July 4th, but probably by the start of the summer season in June. There should be at least two months of soft opening for this attraction, as that is pretty average for an E-Ride. I rode Kali River Rapids two months before it "opened", in February 1999.
So we are talking mid-June or late June? 2 months from official opening would be June 15!! I sure hope so cuz like I said... I'll be down there on June 23rd!! Of course there is no guarantee that it will be open. At least there is hope.

ToTBellHop

Right. There are no guarantees of a June opening, but it is basically 100% certain that it will be open by July 4th, if only limited, and by late July, expect the ride to be running near full capacity--any guests arriving between August 1st and 15th will enjoy full capacity, while lines are still short due to the nature of soft openings. As for anyone going after August 15th...God have mercy. At least there will be a Singles line for you guys :) Labor Day weekend should be insane...so all the Floridians will, undoubtedly, want to ride this ride in late July and early August...before the 4 hour lines form. At least the days of 2-hour lines for Test Track are numbered:)

Glasgow

Whoa - I was wondering when all of the speculation and complete guessing as to when Mission Space's opening was going to end. Now I know! lol

Al

:sohappy: WOOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!

That's fantastic news!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing it Pam! Much appreciated!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom